Alteration Request: Counting Items In Categories

Jeremy,

Please change the way categories count the items within them for display.

Currently, a category shows its name and a number in parenthesis. The number tells you how many waymarks are below that category.

Ex: Hunting/Gathering (5)

Those 5 are in the Berry Picking Sub-Category, not 5 sub-categories in Hunting/Gathering.

Hunting/Gathering should report (1) because there is only one sub-category under Hunting/Gathering (Berry Picking) which should then report 5 after you delve one level to see the sub-categories.

Otherwise, something like Restaurants will have a billion and only after going one level in will you see that the billion is really 999 million McDonalds and 1 million random other places. I think it's more important to tell me that there are 20 restaurant sub-categories and if I need to know how many waymarks are in those sub-categories, I'll keep delving until I hit the list of last leaves on the tree to see how the waymarks break down for that specific sub-category.

Yes, it seems that topic lost its direction of force.

Let's see if we can get a new push going on this issue. I think it will improve people's use of the categories.

Is there a good reason to do it the current way? It's not intuitive by any means. The only comment Jeremy had was that with a lot of data, the numbers hold up...

Well, sure, but knowing sub-categories not total leaves in the tree under that branch is more utility-like.

I know, I tried with a repost... Maybe I'm using the wrong language.

Here's a bump:

The current system only shows the "fill factor" in the tree, but nothing about the richness of the tree.

It think it should give more indication of what is underneath. Even once the waymarks start to fill up, the current numbers will only give you raw weight, not relative density.

Perhaps it could display (n/m) where n is the number of waymarks and m is the number of categories underneath.

I agree, this needs to be changed.

For example:

Directory Home -> Places -> Resturaunts (70) ->

So, I'm thinking there are 70 things directly under resturaunt - but there aren't, there (currently) are 2: McDonald's and Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints.

McD's has 54 waymarks.

BBQ/Sandwich has 16 waymarks.

It seems that Resturaunts would say (2).

or - perhaps better yet: (2/70) or (2:70) or something. Of course, that could be a bigger problem if there end up being sub-sub-subcategories.

sd

We were moving so fast those first couple of days it was hard to keep up. I vote yes also. Isn't that the way most trees with numbers of limbs work - the current display counts the branches and not the twigs? One of these days we might have only 169 McDonalds - 50 states and 119 foreign countries. :laughing: