A Few Proposals

I have just gotten here and checked out the category method for "finding" waymarks.

Would these ideas have a home as "waymarks"?

• Waymarks for Places where Geocache Density is X caches per 10 mile radius (X could be significantly large or significantly small)
  • The Red Chair in the Fenway Bleachers (what potential category? Places > Sports > Baseball > Famous Icons??)
  • Places where something occurs on rare but regular occasion
  • Highpoints (An exact number of locations with well defined coordinates not necessarily requiring you to visit them to get the info)

Just a couple easy and hard ideas to think about as whether these are valid "waymark" categories.

I think the first one is too broad. You wouldn't really be narrowing the location down to a single point.

The second one, absolutely.

The third one, yes. I asked a question about this and Jeremy has confirmed that there will be a fourth root category of Event waymarks.

I don't know if I understand the fourth one. If you mean like the peak of a mountain or hill or something like that, absolutely.

Would these ideas have a home as "waymarks"?
  • Waymarks for Places where Geocache Density is X caches per 10 mile radius (X could be significantly large or significantly small)

To start, many proposals could go through as long there was enough support for them. But we're trying to steer some ideas so they fit better within our vision of Waymarking.

This one would probably fit under a category we're adding called "Coordinate Play" that contains some of the original locationless caches like "meridian points" and "what's in a name". It is a category where there is a game involving coordinates you need to find and log as waymarks. The Degree Confluence Project would fit there as well if this was the home for it.

[*]The Red Chair in the Fenway Bleachers (what potential category?  Places > Sports > Baseball > Famous Icons??)

You'd want to run that through a peer review. I'd try to find something unique about it that could be transferred to other interesting waymarks. Other examples can be found where something sticks out from an otherwise mundane location. Like 100 white houses and one blue one sort of thing.

[*]Places where something occurs on rare but regular occasion

Yeah. We discussed event waymark categories in another topic. However we do provide a "date range" variable. Examples of them in use is the maze category (dates available) and season displays (also dates available)

[*]Highpoints (An exact number of locations with well defined coordinates not necessarily requiring you to visit them to get the info)

I don't quite understand this either but there is the idea of prebuilt categories like the NGS Benchmarks where you can only log them. Someone also asked about a project and I thought as the category owner you can make it so only you can post waymarks.

By highpoints, I mean the highest locations in each state (e.g. Mt. Greylock in MA, Mt Washington in NH, McKinley in AK, etc). They're commonly called "highpoints" and the people who attempt them all are "highpointers".

As opposed to locationless caches or waymarks that I've seen where a category fills with each new place that meets a criteria, "highpoints" is a discrete and limited number of results that are already well "logged" elsewhere on the internet (a single site holds the exact coordinates for every single one of the 50 highpoints).

Closing a sub-category for owner-only creations would accomplish what I'm wondering (how to correctly fill a sub-category like "state highpoints" without lots of duplicates and things).

By highpoints, I mean the highest locations in each state (e.g. Mt. Greylock in MA, Mt Washington in NH, McKinley in AK, etc). They're commonly called "highpoints" and the people who attempt them all are "highpointers".

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, there could be a discrete number of waymarks for a category. I'd suggest extending it outside the realm of the US, if possible, so there are also highpoints by other country states, provinces, etc.

At Invesco Field at Mile High there is a Bronco Horse head made of colored seats. the eye of the horse is I thnk a black seat and has become a coveted place to sit. I would think this kind of place would fit in your "red chair" idea. DO I understand what you are trying to do?

Edited by LaPaglia

Hmm, sort of. If the black seat has some sort of backstory (where the ball landed after Denver won the Super Bowl or something odd like that).

I was thinking of more along the lines of famous spots at sporting venues. The Red Seat is the spot of the longest homerun hit at Fenway. Ted Williams hit a 508 foot shot that landed in the bleachers and it hasn't been beaten since.

I wanted to make this a virtual cache a while back but was told it would fail on two accounts, it was inside the ballpark requiring admission and it didn't meet the "wow" factor according to a small handful of people. They said that they'd have to approve every "famous spot" at every ballpark across America.

It would appear that "Waymarking" solves the wow factor. Unfortunately, it adds the requirement that a "less than wow" virtual needs to be a part of a greater category in order to fit the tree schema laid out for waymarks.

Since most people were suggesting virtuals because they were trying to meet the "wow" and because they wanted to show people something, it's going to be hard to fit them into Waymarking categories in some ways. (not "square peg, round hole" tough, but tougher than when there was a "virtual cache" type for submissions).

So, the question I raise with the Red Seat is what would the category be and how many sub-categories are going to be created to fit every niche waymark? Who's going to be in charge of deciding appropriateness within each category? What if it fits two created categories?

I imagine something like a wiki or open directory would be the most useful way this problem has been solved in the past if the volunteers don't want to be overly controlling of waymarks similar to the way they are for geocache submissions (and I don't see the need for that since you can't violate anything by simply saying "here it is"). With a wiki, everyone gets to decide what's listed and the info provided. The will of the community sets the knowledge (with a small handful of moderators responsible for settling content conflicts). With an open directory, you have the up-front job of providing everything possible to cover any new idea...but then people can submit their waymarks to whatever sub-category they think best fits (similar to this beta..but with a lot more categories and sub-categories).