Cache Idea...

Something I've been tossing around for too long in my cranium has been a "Choose Your Own Adventure" cache. Remember those books from the 80's? You would read a page or so then have to make a choice about where you want the story to go, and turn to that page. The cache would be similar. All the stages would be listed and loggable as separate caches but only the initial cache would be listed as a traditioinal. All other "stages" in the story would appear as mystery/puzzle caches, with the only way to find them being to go to first and then choose which of 2 coords to go to next, then choose fro another 2, and another 2. Really it's no more than a collection of caches (and they wouldn't even have to be owned by the same person, though that makes maintenace much easier, of course) that are linked by a story. However, finding all the caches in the story would require eventually travelling every possible path.

I've done some preliminary work scoping out interresting areas that are fairly equally spaced. I envision each of the stages being far enough apart to warrant (nay, require) driving between them. You could hunt it piece by piece, or attempt an entire story line in one day (I'd like to make it so this is possible).

A lot of work? Oh yeah. Maybe more than I have time for right now, even. But that's for me to worry about. For now, I'd like to get some feedback. Has anyone seen or done a cache like this before? Not a straight line series of caches, but one that braches. Does anyone forsee any possible problems with building/maintaining such a cache series (well, other than the time and dedication...)?

Sound off!

Hmmmmm... story line. Hmmmm! :P

I suddenly imagined you writing a real adventure story, arranging a sequence, and putting a chapter of each of the story in each cache, maybe on the last few pages of the each logbook.

On the way, you can drive everyone nuts by ending each chapter cliffhanger style, such as:

"...Captain Jones finally started to open the mysterious wooden box. The whole group of adventurers behind them held their breath. There was a pause. Sam leaned forward and asked: "What is it?"

The captain finally looked up at the group with an expression of stunned astonishment, then stared back inside the box. "The ancient scrolls may have been right after all. The stories of those long-ago craftmen! It turns out to be all true! They lived for that sacred creative passion because THEY KNEW! It's all right here. And we are here, witnessing a great - "

Suddenly there was a crash behind them, and they hear the dreaded faraway sounds of what seemed to be a small riot.

Jacquelyn screamed. Then the lights went out..."

(Just having fun with words today...) :P

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Hmmmmm... story line.  Hmmmm!  :P

I suddenly imagined you writing a real adventure story, arranging a sequence, and putting a chapter of each of the story in each cache, maybe on the last few pages of the each logbook.

On the way, you can drive everyone nuts by ending each chapter cliffhanger style, such as: 

"...Captain Jones finally started to open the mysterious wooden box.  The whole group of adventurers behind them held their breath.  There was a pause.  Sam leaned forward and asked: "What is it?" 

The captain finally looked up at the group with an expression of stunned astonishment,  then stared back inside the box.  "The ancient scrolls may have been right after all.  The stories of those long-ago craftmen!  It turns out to be all true!  They lived for that sacred creative passion because THEY KNEW!  It's all right here.  And we are here, witnessing a great - "

Suddenly there was a crash behind them, and they hear the dreaded faraway sounds of what seemed to be a small riot.

Jacquelyn screamed.  Then the lights went out..."

(Just having fun with words today...)  :P

That's exactly what I had in mind: a real story that branches and develops as you travel from cache to cache.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a geo fantasy adventure (did I just coin a new genre? Where's that copyright paperwork?)

The first inkling of an idea for a story actually started something like this....

"You are woken out of a fitful sleep by the ringing phone. Its insistent intermittent interruptions into your slumber evoke a long groan, and force you to roll from the couch. Your head is pounding. You reach up with one hand to rub your temples, while the other gropes for the phone, and realize you’re still wearing your headlamp. A sweep of your eyes across the floor in front of you reveals a pair of muddy boots, still wet, and socks peppered with the clinging seedpods of various varieties of flora. Unconsciously your eyes shift to the end of the couch and the wet, muddy mess where those boots had just been. You groan louder. Where the hell is that phone?

The unnatural weight you feel on your back reminds you that your headlamp isn’t the only caching accoutrement you failed to slough when you collapsed in the living room three hours ago. You shrug your shoulders a couple times and your cache sack hits the floor with a thud. That’s when you spot your phone on the table across the room and realize with a full and sudden awareness that the ringing you hear is coming from your feet. From inside your sack. …. The cachephone.

In a practiced series of movements you never thought you’d have to use, you bend to zip away the false back of your cache sack and unbutton a series of straps. You straighten holding a small wireless phone, the whole unit pulsing green in time with its ringing. For a moment all you can do is stare at it, as if mesmerized by the light and sound. You press your thumb to the colored stone Geocaching emblem attached to the front. The phone stops ringing and springs open and slowly you bring it to your ear. You already know who’s calling...

1. How many choices will you have at each decision? Keep in mind, even two choices for each level doubles the number of cahces for the next level each time.

2. How will this work as far as distance is concerned? If each stage is at least 528 feet from any other stage and you have three levels with two choices each, that will be seven caches to hide and maintain. Three levels with three choices each would be twelve caches. Four levels with just two choices each would be fifteen caches.

I love the idea. I'm just wondering about the details.

:P

1.  How many choices will you have at each decision?  Keep in mind, even two choices for each level doubles the number of cahces for the next level each time.

2.  How will this work as far as distance is concerned?  If each stage is at least 528 feet from any other stage and you have three levels with two choices each, that will be seven caches to hide and maintain.  Three levels with three choices each would be twelve caches.  Four levels with just two choices each would be fifteen caches.

I love the idea.  I'm just wondering about the details.

:P

I haven't worked out any of the hard details yet, but yes, I'm aware of the possible exponential nature of cache placements. I was going to battle that by combining some of the caches, meaning that you could arrive there from more than one preceding cache. The final incarnation may even look more like one starting point and one end point, but many different lines (representling series of caches) connecting them, and some lines may share points. Some lines may even be dead ends and not even lead to the final cache! The most difficult part of that would be to create a story that makes sense no matter what path you choose.

Distance isn't really an issue, as the cache placements are all at least a mile apart.

The biggest logictical issue I've imagined so far would just be making sure that all the caches are listed at the same time, but that could be solved easily enough by working with my reviewer.

It has been done. There was one in Washington state about a year ago. It had 17 waypoints some false some real. It may just be a pain to maintain. I have thought of doing one but again it depends upon what folks in your area like. So some times you have to see what is out there and maybe ad a twist.

cheers

It has been done. There was one in Washington state about a year ago. It had 17 waypoints some false some real. It may just be a pain to maintain. I have thought of doing one but again it depends upon what folks in your area like. So some times you have to see what is out there and maybe ad a twist.

cheers

Is it still there? What was it called?

*snip*

If you make them all individual caches, make sure you put on the page that its part of XXX whatever cache, and can be found by starting there. (I assume you will use bogus coords to list them?) Also, expect people to go threw and find them all, if no other reason to log them all.

I would have each cache page contain links to all the others, with instructions on how to start the series. The bogus coords for each cache would be parking locations. It would allow people who wanted to try to do an entire story line in one shot (or ALL story lines!) some preliminary info on where they'd be headed. No info would be given on the cache pages about which cache leads to which cache, though.

Dang. I'm talking this up so much, I'm gonna be expected to produce some results! Better clear my schedule!

1. How many choices will you have at each decision? Keep in mind, even two choices for each level doubles the number of cahces for the next level each time.

This is not necessarily true. You can send some of the branches to locations that the player would have gone to if he had made a different earlier decision.

I'm wondering why you want to make each of the steps an independent cache? If you do so, folks will likely want to go back through and follow every possible branch in order to log finds on them all. In my experience going back through and exploring the path not taken is fun for a bit, but trying to follow every bloody one gets tedious after awhile.

Make it a multicache, and folks can enjoy the series as long as they wish and not feel like they are missing out on anything by not finding every container.

Ron/yumitori

I love your idea - I wish you were closer to me and I would definitely make the effort to follow your story and find the final cache.

Perhaps your Choose Your Own Adventure cache will inspire me to create something similar out here in California.

Following a story line would make the whole thing much more interesting, and would incline me to pursue it to the end. A good story makes all the difference.

Good luck - and if you want part of the adventure to lead people out west...

:blink:

I'm wondering why you want to make each of the steps an independent cache? If you do so, folks will likely want to go back through and follow every possible branch in order to log finds on them all. In my experience going back through and exploring the path not taken is fun for a bit, but trying to follow every bloody one gets tedious after awhile.

Make it a multicache, and folks can enjoy the series as long as they wish and not feel like they are missing out on anything by not finding every container.

Ron/yumitori

Oh, It's fine with me if people want to explore all the possible story lines. As for making each step an independent cache... they're going to be spread out over almost 15 miles. I believe that if you're gonna take the time to drive to more than one destination inside an are that large, you should be able to log more than one smiley for your efforts. Also, all the places I've looked at are more than suitable for a good regular sized traditional cache. Micros containing nothing more than coords would be a bit of an insult, both to the area and the persons seeking the cache.

I see your point though, about the tediousness. I don't know, I'd have to think about that... It might just come down to not being able to please everyone. Some would strive to collect all the caches, while others might be content with one "story line" and others could just get wildly frustrated. Eh. At least you wouldn't have to go back to the begining each time. Nothing would be stopping you from writing down each set of coords, chosing one and saving the next for another day!

I love your idea - I wish you were closer to me and I would definitely make the effort to follow your story and find the final cache.

Perhaps your Choose Your Own Adventure cache will inspire me to create something similar out here in California.

GO for it!

Following a story line would make the whole thing much more interesting, and would incline me to pursue it to the end. A good story makes all the difference.

Good luck - and if you want part of the adventure to lead people out west...

:blink:

West, huh... Hmmmmmm.

Aren't there caches set miles apart where logging finds can only be done by coordinating with a cacher at the other end?

Oh, It's fine with me if people want to explore all the possible story lines. As for making each step an independent cache... they're going to be spread out over almost 15 miles. I believe that if you're gonna take the time to drive to more than one destination inside an are that large, you should be able to log more than one smiley for your efforts.

If you put out a simple 5 leg story, that's 31 locations total assuming none of the decisions lead back to the same locations as sbell111 suggested. Even if some do, that's still a lot of options.

So you create this one near where I live, and I now have to decide to put a couple of dozen new caches on my ignore list, or I try to find them all. For me personally neither option seems optimal. I'd rather not have to choose between 'giving up' on finding all of the containers or continuing to search for them after it's no longer as much fun. Just my opinion, but you did ask...

As far as the distances involved go, there's many multicaches out there that require a great deal of time and distance to complete, and folks seem to enjoy the well-designed ones. As an example, check out this one -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8e-1be3aef5ce46

Reading the logs, folks say really nice thnigs aobut it and don't appear to mind that they 'only' get one find log when all is said and done.

Ron/yumitori

Something I've been tossing around for too long in my cranium has been a "Choose Your Own Adventure" cache. Remember those books from the 80's? You would read a page or so then have to make a choice about where you want the story to go, and turn to that page. The cache would be similar. All the stages would be listed and loggable as separate caches but only the initial cache would be listed as a traditioinal. All other "stages" in the story would appear as mystery/puzzle caches, with the only way to find them being to go to first and then choose which of 2 coords to go to next, then choose fro another 2, and another 2. Really it's no more than a collection of caches (and they wouldn't even have to be owned by the same person, though that makes maintenace much easier, of course) that are linked by a story. However, finding all the caches in the story would require eventually travelling every possible path.

I've done some preliminary work scoping out interresting areas that are fairly equally spaced. I envision each of the stages being far enough apart to warrant (nay, require) driving between them. You could hunt it piece by piece, or attempt an entire story line in one day (I'd like to make it so this is possible).

A lot of work? Oh yeah. Maybe more than I have time for right now, even. But that's for me to worry about. For now, I'd like to get some feedback. Has anyone seen or done a cache like this before? Not a straight line series of caches, but one that braches. Does anyone forsee any possible problems with building/maintaining such a cache series (well, other than the time and dedication...)?

Sound off!

Do it. With alot of uninteresting caches springing up, a cacher with a great idea like yours should take it to the max. Make it memorable, but also make it fit the guidelines.

Don't want to place 15 caches and not have it approved.

I've toyed with a similar idea - a series of about 10 - 12 waypoints within one multicache. Each waypoint would give a choice of two other waypoints to go to, leading the cacher on a merry walk around a largish park. Get the option wrong and you go from wp to wp, with only one of the questions in one wp leading to the final cache.

I'd say go for the "Choose your own Adventure" cache, but try for a multi rather than a series of caches.