Category Proposal: Wildlife Sightings

I can see all kinds of problems with this one. As a bird-watcher, I love the idea, but animals move around. How do you get a GPSr fix on a moving object like this? And the new system will log all the co-ords, making it harder for later seekers to get a legal find in areas some areas. This idea needs a lot of work before I could go with it.

What about a more general "wildlife watching sites"? There are places that are known to be good for birding or wildlife viewing during different times of the year - a number of them have small festivals during these times. The issue of animals moving or potentially getting significant numbers of people around (and potentially harassing) endangered animals would seem to make the "animal sightings" category not particularly workable.

There does seem to be a general "sightings" theme emerging (see "crop circles"). I've always liked the idea of a bird watching category. After you see enough of a certain wildlife in a certain area, some patterns could emerge. As long as the category was built for it I could see it being a possibility.

What about a more general "wildlife watching sites"?

Nice idea too. Like bird sanctuaries and wildlife sanctuaries.

And those roadside areas in the Northeast where the road salt runoff attracts in moose. And the sod farms and waste water treatment plants that attract in shorebirds in late summer and early fall.

What about a more general "wildlife watching sites"?

Nice idea too. Like bird sanctuaries and wildlife sanctuaries.

And those roadside areas in the Northeast where the road salt runoff attracts in moose. And the sod farms and waste water treatment plants that attract in shorebirds in late summer and early fall.

I think this is a TERRIBLE idea!!! Fish are attracted to the inlet and outlet circulating water of all operating power plants. I have seen the water surface black and boiling with so many catfish that not another could get in the channel. You are encouraging people to give coordinates of crib houses which are one of the most secure facilities of any thermal power plant. A terrorist would love to know where these are located since even a large piece of plastic dropped in the right place can totally disable the entire plant. TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!! :lol::P:P:P:lol::lol:

And for the sarcastically impaired - :P

It's a good idea but potentially huge.