Category Proposal: Wow!

This category is meant as an answer to those who feel the Waymarking solution does not capture the spirit of virtual caches and think that there is still a place for virtuals on geocaching.com. It is meant to show that eventually one or more categories might be started on Waymarking.com that can address some of the issues of those who would like to keep virtual caches. While several parts of this proposal may be controversial, there is one area that I know will be. For those who want to see these "virtuals" in their find counts, I proposed logging a find on one of my caches. This part is probably already a no-go with Groundspeak because it would result in thousands of logs on this cache. The real solution is to realize that the numbers don't matter.

Category Places > WOW!!!

To report a waymark in this category it must meet the following requirements:

1. A WOW!!! waymark must be a unique physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. If I post the waymark today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

A trail is a trail, a beach is a beach, a view is a view; but a trail, beach, or view is NOT a waymark (at least not a WOW!!! waymark). A WOW!!! waymark has to be a specific distinct GPS target - not something large like a mountain top or a park, however special those locations are.

2. A WOW!!! waymark must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since the reward for a WOW!!! waymark is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder (why else do you think I called it WOW!!!). Signs, memorials, tombstones, statues or historical markers are among the items that are generally too common to qualify as WOW!!! waymark. Use a different category to report these. I, the category owner, make the final decision as to what constitutes WOW!!!. There are no appeals. Any waymark submitted by a Geocaching.com volunteer approver, using either their personal or approver account, who ever rejected a virtual cache because it didn't have the "WOW factor" will automatically not be accepted.

3. There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

4. An original photo posted to the waymark log can be an acceptable way to verify a find, or an email to the waymark reporter with valid answers for the question or questions. In NO cases should answers be posted in the logs, even if encrypted. The waymark reporter (owner) is responsible for verifying visited logs to their waymark. The owner is expected to delete/archive logs that don't meet the verification requirements.

WOW!!! Waymark Maintenance Guidelines

Although the WOW!!! waymark is not something you physically maintain, you must maintain your WOW!! waymark's web page and respond to inquiries and periodically check the physical location. You should also return to the Waymarking.com web site at least once a month to show you are still active. WOW!!! waymarks posted and "abandoned" may be archived by the category owner. The waymark reporter will assume the responsibility of quality control of logged “visits” for the WOW!!! waymark, and will agree to delete any “visit” logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

WOW!!! Waymark Logging Guidelines

Logging a WOW!!! waymark visit requires compliance with the requirements stated by the waymark reporter, including answering the required questions by e-mail to the waymark reporter (NOT the category owner), providing original photos if so requested, etc. Answers to questions, hints or clues should not be placed in the logs, even if encrypted. In order to get credit on geocaching.com for your "find" you may post a find to the following geocache: GC????. Your geocache log will be deleted if the waymark reporter deletes your corresponding waymark log.

Okay, you sound like the reviewers at Geocaching. Define WOW! Whats a WOW to you may not be a WOW to someone else. Whenever I submit a Virtual Cache and they tell me that it should be a WOW to someone who finds it. Give an example, what will WOW me? I dont think there is any hope for virts in the future as of right now.

Okay, you sound like the reviewers at Geocaching. Define WOW! Whats a WOW to you may not be a WOW to someone else. Whenever I submit a Virtual Cache and they tell me that it should be a WOW to someone who finds it. Give an example, what will WOW me? I dont think there is any hope for virts in the future as of right now.

If you don't like my definition of WOW!!! you are free to start your own category. <_<

If you don't like my definition of WOW!!! you are free to start your own category. <_<

I didnt mean to state that toward your WOW Im saying, that whats a WOW to some people may not be to others. I am for the Category, but can you find something that will be a WOW for someone to find?

I don't think this should be a category in itself, but the WOW factor should be an element of most waypoints.

Granted my WOW may be your BLAAAAH

But I would rather have WOW factor built in to all waypoints. They have to be something special really.

This is why I hope McD restaurants don't get in. They fit into another type of cache grouping - like YellowPage caches. Lists of useful but boring things. Only the extremely nerdy would want to log a visit to every McD restaurant within a 60 mile radius. But all of us might like to know where to find one if we are on a journey to unfamilar parts of the country.

On the other hand I hope that I WOULD want to visit every waypoint in an area, and be pleased I did so.

Most of the caches I have put out or found have had something that made me really glad I'd visited there - perhaps because I didn't even know it existed before, and I am glad that I now DO know it is there.

So WOW definitely yes

Any waymark submitted by a Geocaching.com volunteer approver, using either their personal or approver account, who ever rejected a virtual cache because it didn't have the "WOW factor" will automatically not be accepted.

Are you excluding moderators too? ;)

Only if they've ever locked a thread on why we like virtuals :laughing:

Edited by tozainamboku
Any waymark submitted by a Geocaching.com volunteer approver, using either their personal or approver account, who ever rejected a virtual cache because it didn't have the "WOW factor" will automatically not be accepted.

Are you excluding moderators too? :laughing:

Only if they've ever locked a thread on why we like virtuals :D

Oh good, I only lock threads that aren't off-topic ;)

I think all waymars should have a little wow there.I dont go wow when I see a McDonalds but some one must.

I do. I go WOW, I can't believe they built another one just 528' away from the one just north of here. :P And look, there's a Burger King only 495' to the west, but that's OK becuase it is across a busy highway. :P

I'd rather there be a "metacategory" for highly nominated or somehow selected waymarks from all categories. This way you can consider them "Wow"...put all the current virtuals in it as seeds or something..but have a way for new waymarks to get in (and old waymarks that suddenly pale in comparison to get out).

So, a vote "No" to a "Wow" category.

A vote "Yes" to a metacategory that people can access to see the really impressive waymarks.