Vision Of Waymarking

I've been following all the threads and have read through the FAQs on Waymarking and even went as far as greating a waymark and adding a log. I really like what I see here with respect to Waymarking and the potential that it brings to Jeremy, Groundspeak and the internet community.

It is a little bit unclear however what Jeremy's vision of Waymarking and it's future is and part of that he seems to have opened up to us, the community, to decide or make suggestions (such as for the process of creating waymark categories). Super!

What I have noticed from what some people say in their posts and from reading some of the waypoint category requirements. Looks like some people are looking at waypointing as just a replacement of locationless and virtuals caches. I would hope that Waymarking is much more than that, and a totally different and new game than what geocaching.com offers. In other words we need to get away from the old "locationless" mentality.

I see the whole Waymarking thing as a web site that caters to collecting any and all possible locations within a certain category. I think that appears to be the main focus/potential with Waymarking, and not the locationless mind set of taking pics of the locations of the waymarks (Pics are definately an added bonus, and people will more than likely include pics freewillingly, either when they create a waymark or those that log a "visit" to the waymark, not the locationless mind set of including the gps in the pics (since there will be non-geocachers doing Waymarking. GPS is not mandatory to participate according to the FAQ), and also not the "jumping over hurdles" for some strange logging requirement. Same with "visits". You visit the waymark and log your "visit" without any other requirement. What I am saying is that Waymarking is the new game in town and it has great potential to evolve and become a big success, which most of us hopefully would like to see (become successful).

Now if the vision of Jeremy and others is for it to simply replace locationles, virtual and other caches, and continue with the so-called "logging requirements", then so be it, but then it will be not much different than what we had on geocaching.com, and we all know that there was lots of conflict and differences of opions on the locationless/virtual topics, which I hope doesn't show up here.

As for what categories to include I would hope that it would be open to topics that anyone is interested in, be it commercial (according to the FAQ, these are allowed), historical, natural, or just about anything. But I suspect there needs to be a limit, and people suggesting stuff like logging dandelions and other "stupid" things like that is just rediculous, and we know full well they won't be turned into a category. I think we are all adults here and don't even need to suggest logging dandelions.

So it would be interesting to hear more of how Jeremy expects us to play the game and to confirm or shootdown what I have asked/noticed above as to how I see the game working based on what I have read so far.

...to the future and success of Waymarking!

Here is a key quote from yesterday, from Nate at Groundspeak:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=105819&hl=

The category manager has the option of reviewing all newly submitted waymarks, or auto-approving any that are submitted. It will be up to the manager to ensure the quality of their category since the community will be taking this in to account when upgrading or downgrading the category.

Since the accuracy of the listing is more important, we shouldn't be concerned if Wayne Waymarker did not actually visit the location.

PS good post

Edited by maingray
Now if the vision of Jeremy and others is for it to simply replace locationles, virtual and other caches, and continue with the so-called "logging requirements", then so be it, but then it will be not much different than what we had on geocaching.com, and we all know that there was lots of conflict and differences of opions on the locationless/virtual topics, which I hope doesn't show up here.

It is an intended added bonus that Waymarking replaces locationless and virtual caches. This is a major reason why we have released it so early in its development. But Waymarking will definitely be much more than that. Be patient, young skywalker!