Will This Be Forced In To A Waymark, And If So How

In Alberta, we play somewhat of a sub-game to geocaching. It revolves around a multi-location Virtual Cache called "Brass Cap - ?". It involves hunting down survey markers that are posted to the cap page.

Looking over the Waymarking page, it looks like there is a category for "benchmarks".

Now the 'logical' thing to do would be to create a sub-category there for "Alberta Benchmarks". Which personally I don't have a huge problem with, *but* myself, and pretty much everyone on the Calgary forum do not want to see just any benchmark posted there. We would prefer to see only a very limited number of the markers posted, by the guy who currently owns the brass cap cache.

Reason being, is part of the draw of them is that the supply is so low. I mean in reality there are thousands and thousands of the darn things, but as of right now there are only some 200 odd caps listed that you're actually looking for.

Often he'll post a cap to mark an event of some kind, or as kind of a 'gift' to Alberta cachers (Christmas day he posted 3 new caps).

Could this be integrated in to the Waymarking concept, but kept from becoming a free for all survey marker finding (actually I think most people here would prefer to keep it as a virtual, but my understanding is that virtuals are going the way of the do-do)? Maybe a sub-category of "outforthehunt's survey markers" where only he has permission to post waymarks to the category (obviously this will depend on him wanting to continue to maintain the category)?

Also, in a case like this, assuming that we will be forced over in to Waymarking, will there be an easy way to migrate our database? We have a GPX file that we use right now to keep track of the waymarks.

You can actually lock categories from receiving new waymarks. I'm not sure how it works now but if it doesn't work this way we can change it so the category owner can be the only person to add listings. In this way you could still maintain the idea through Waymarking by forcing a slow release of these items to the site.

This will become the mantra, but we try and dissuade the creation of region-only caches. However if a manufacturer of the object is regional that's different as the item is unique and the fact that the places they are located are regional is secondary. For example, the NGS benchmark database is US specific but only because they were planted by the NGS.

HTH

Thanks, it alleviates some of the concerns I think locals have.

I think once this is out of beta it could work really well (still need GPX downloads of data to make it work right).

What about migrating the database? Or is outforthehunt going to have to re-enter all 225 waymarks manually?

What about migrating the database? Or is outforthehunt going to have to re-enter all 225 waymarks manually?

No transfers. I think outforthehunt could allow the first 225 waymark "winners" to enter them for him anyway <_<

And - he can add some waymark variables to his category for some more detailed information on each cap.