Would This Work

could I have a cache has a lot of micos in it with cordens in them you pick one and drop it on the ground and move the cache to the cordens and the next peson dose the some thing untill all the micos are gone

would you do this or dose it sound like a pass and why?

Edited by geo_boy_2001
sept1c_tank Posted on Aug 17 2005, 09:18 AM

Estoy apesadumbrado; apenas no puedo entender lo que usted está diciendo. Quizás si usted intentaría usar inglés, o algún otro reconoció lengua, puede ser que entienda. ¡Pero con su propensión para la cirugía semántica, la dudo! 

WHAT?

Estoy apesadumbrado; apenas no puedo entender lo que usted está diciendo. Quizás si usted intentaría usar inglés, o algún otro reconoció lengua, puede ser que entienda. ¡Pero con su propensión para la cirugía semántica, la dudo! 

WHAT?

Pretty much what I said! <_<<_<

*You* have to control and maintain your own cache. You would not know where these other sections have been hidden. How will you know if it is missing? How will you control proximity to other caches? What if one is place 10 feet from an existing cache because someone else failed to look to see if there was a cache there? If something goes missing that someone else hid and you cannot contact them, what do you do to find the missing cache section?

Want me to go on?

The answer is no, it will not be listed.

the cachers wouldnt get to pick the hideing spot I would pick them as if I was going to hide it all at onese but I would have cachers do it for me <_< thay will not be able to put it where thay want only where I want and the reviewer will allow

Edited by geo_boy_2001

Let me see if I understand. You've cleared all the coordinates contained in the micro containers in advance and there is no saturation problem. The reviewer approves them all. The ftf goes to the cache and finds the container at location 1. He pulls a micro, hides that micro (with a copy of some new pre-approved coordinates) at the original cache location, and moves the container and hides it at location 2 (the coordinates contained in the first micro). The next finder goes to location 1, finds the micro with the re-direct coordinates, goes to location 2, finds the cache, and does the same thing. Finder three has to go through 2 redirects to find the container.

Is this an ever-lengthening randomly placed multi-cache (finder 27 has to track down 26 micros to find the container!!!) or is it a moving cache (which won't be approved)?

I have to admit that it is a novel idea, at least to me.

stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me stop laughing at me <_<

10-15 max then pack it up and start over

whew....I was envisioning a large ammo can with 51 micros in it........

Again, as with many of your cache ideas so far, I'm left asking..."WHY????"

I doubt it would get listed, and if it did in my area, it would quickly find my ignore list.

Huh.  That an interesting idea.  So, almost like a leap frog cache?

Gabwp

That is exactly what it is. It has been discussed before. It was shot down then. It is being shot down now.

Even if you tell them the coordinates to hide it at, what if their GPS has 100 foot EPE at the time. Then, you go to check it and you have 100 foot EPE. You have a 200 foot margin of error to check for a micro! Multiply this problem by say, 10 to 15.

If *you* don't hide it yourself you might not find *your* cache sections.

It is a bad idea. It has been discussed before.

Edited by mtn-man
You should just quit school and become a stand up comedian!  <_<  <_<

This is why I hate the forums. Your being absolutly no help except to personally offend the OP just because he's not as articulate as most. I guess your smiley face makes is all ok... but I find it rude.

I've seen others moderated for much less...what gives?

Salvelinus

sorry, i would not hunt any of your caches. just my opinion, geo_boy, but your communication skills don't exactly inspire all the confidence in the world. i wouldn't trust you to get coordinates correct, or articulate your ideas in accurate, coherent, cache listings. these things DO matter to some people, they reflect on your attention to detail, and the level of care you put into the things you do. if you are very young, i don't mean to sound harsh and discourage you, but you could certainly learn a lot from having someone proofread your writing. i suggest you write daily notebook entries, just a paragraph or two about general stuff or your daily activities, then sit down once a week or so to proofread them yourself, and then have someone else read them and suggest ways to make corrections. hate to sound like an english teacher, but i've held my tongue long enough, and...well...i AM an english teacher.

If you dont thank that this will work then how could I make it work?

and

denali7 Posted on Aug 17 2005, 10:47 AM

sorry, i would not hunt any of your caches. just my opinion, geo_boy, but your communication skills don't exactly inspire all the confidence in the world. i wouldn't trust you to get coordinates correct, or articulate your ideas in accurate, coherent, cache listings. these things DO matter to some people, they reflect on your attention to detail, and the level of care you put into the things you do. if you are very young, i don't mean to sound harsh and discourage you, but you could certainly learn a lot from having someone proofread your writing. i suggest you write daily notebook entries, just a paragraph or two about general stuff or your daily activities, then sit down once a week or so to proofread them yourself, and then have someone else read them and suggest ways to make corrections. hate to sound like an english teacher, but i've held my tongue long enough, and...well...i AM an english teacher.

so becuse I dont take the time to fix my posts I dont know how to read my gps or how to use a pen and paper. where are you a teacher becuse sorry, I would not hunt any of your classes <_<

Edited by geo_boy_2001

To make it work you need to go out and do this yourself. Take your time, get good waypoints, make sure all of your containers are in good shape and make sure you know exactly where they are. Take your time writing up the cache page and make sure you explain your cache well.

That is pretty much what all of us do.

The leap frog concept you are talking about won't work.

Too risky, too much potential for errors.

It does sound like an interesting idea. However, I don't think it would work. Mostly beccause in order to be most acurate with your placements, you need to visit the placement location at least twice (many will say several times over a span of several days at different times of day). I think it would be far more difficult to be given coords and then find that exact location and look for a good place to hide the cache... which is what they would need to do to move the cache container. Plus, not every body is into hiding caches and/or is good at it. It leaves it open for sloppy placement, thus plundering. There is the off chance that it could work, but has too many things about it that say is probably would not work. You would likely need to make the re-location part an option for those that are looking for a find... not wanting to place anything.

But if you realloy wna tot do , then just do it. If it gets approved and peple do it then it "works" if not then it doesn't

could I flag the spots for the hide

I think what mtn-man is saying (and he's been around a long time), is to consider a new plan. The one you're suggesting will not be listed on the site as there are too many variables to make it work successfully within guidelines. too much potential for problems, and there's no guarantee people who try to find it will do it right.

hope that helps.

<_<

geo_boy, you'd be welcome in my classroom any day. you're inquisitive and enthusiastic, which is a great combination in my book. i am also impressed at your persistance in posting and participating, especially in light of some of the smartaleck comments made by some of the adults, who should know better. i'd post the coordinates to my classroom, i hid some temporary caches for my students to find one day last semester, but it would be one heck of a commute for you!!

Edited by denali7

Geo_boy-

I think you have some very fine ideas and you should continue to think creatively.

However, you should take the time to clean up your spelling and punctuation a bit. Sometimes I have to read your posts 2 or 3 times to understand your meaning. When you finally hide your first cache, your cache page will need to be clearly understood or no one will be able to find your cache. If your listing page is too hard to understand many people will give up. I wouldn't discount your hiding abilities based on your writing skills, but I may not hunt your cache if it is too difficult to understand your cache page.

I for one enjoy reading your posts because you are so creative with your hiding ideas. Unfortunately, it seems as though many of your ideas have been thought of. Like you, I am new to this game so when I read one of your ideas it is new to me also and the input from more experienced cachers is very insightful.

I encourage you to continue to be creative and continue to post your ideas. Also try to edit your posts, when you do finally hide a cache maybe you should ask for some help on the listing page, afterall the idea behind the hide is to get people to find it.

edited to add: For your own benefit - don't drop out of school.

Dawn from Team Red Oak

Edited by Team Red Oak

I kind of like the amended idea.

Lets say I scout out ten locations. I hide a piece of flagging tape at nine of them. At the other spot, I hide an ammo can. In the ammo can is nine micros, labelled one through nine. In each micro is a set of coordinates leading to the flagged spots.

The first finder removes micro number one and places it where the ammo can was. He then takes the ammo can and finds the location given on the first micro (these coords will also be written in the log book). He locates the flagging tape that I hid in location one and hides the ammo can.

This process is repeated eight more times.

Would this be approvable? All ten locations have been scouted out and flagged so I know exactly where the box and micros are hidden. None, of course, are within 528 feet from each other or any other cache.

Geo boy,

Doggone if you aren't an enthusiastic and ambitious lil' geo cuss. I've followed your forum participation for a while now, and that's really my final assessment on you.

So, I tell you what...I live in Austin just like you do. I really do think you should just start with a simple traditional cache of any size before moving on to these grandiose and complicated plans, as enthusiastic as they are. But regardless, whenever you get your first cache approved, I swear to you I will go hunt it. Dear God, I feel like it's my duty.

And if you have done your job as a hider admirably, and I do in fact find your first cache, I will stand up (figuratively) and say very proudly in my log: "Thinks for the cache!"

Peace.

sbell111, that might actually work. He would have to work very closely with the reviewer and the reviewer most likely would also check with other reviewers and Hydee to see if it would be allowed. By putting small pieces of flagging tape out and then having the person who leap-frogs the next section out remove the tape when they find the next location, then maybe.

Maybe put the micros out and move the ammo box from micro to micro location so the cache goes where the micros are each time. Good boy then knows where the micros are since he put them out. All the next finder has to do is put the ammo box on top of the micro and leave it there. You then leap-frog from micro to micro until it gets to the end. You would then leave it and the end and future finders would find the full multi. (Hope that makes sense.)

I am not saying yes. I am saying maybe. With sbell111's refinements it might actually work and would be a cool cache I think. It still needs some debate though.

EDIT: Actually, I adopted a cache just like this, except the logbook moves from micro to micro. It is an 11 stage hunt where all coordinates are provided at the first location. It is just the "Luck of the Draw" as to how long it takes you to find the cache. <_< (Keep in mind the cache was created 2 years ago.)

Edited by mtn-man

WHAT?

<_<:D:lol:<_<:D<_<:D

<_< Geo Boy, your idea sounds like it might be better suited as an event cache. Event caches are a great way to meet fellow geocachers in your area and would probably enjoy doing something a little different. I have been to several event caches up here in Wisconsin and they are a lot of fun. Send me a private email if you'd like to know how to go about this. Good luck!
Estoy apesadumbrado; apenas no puedo entender lo que usted está diciendo. Quizás si usted intentaría usar inglés, o algún otro reconoció lengua, puede ser que entienda. ¡Pero con su propensión para la cirugía semántica, la dudo! <_<<_<

Here is the English translation. The translation utility I used messed up the grammar a bit but I think you'll get the general idea.

I am sad; barely I cannot understand what you are saying.  Perhaps if you would try to use English, or some another recognized tongue, can be that understand.  But with its tendency for the surgery semantics, I doubt it!

Babel fish gave this horrible transcription:

I am grieved; just I cannot understand what you are saying. Perhaps if you would try to use English, or some other recognized language, can be that it understands. But with its propensity for the semantic surgery, I doubt it!

geo_boy, you'd be welcome in my classroom any day. you're inquisitive and enthusiastic, which is a great combination in my book. i am also impressed at your persistance in posting and participating, especially in light of some of the smartaleck comments made by some of the adults, who should know better. i'd post the coordinates to my classroom, i hid some temporary caches for my students to find one day last semester, but it would be one heck of a commute for you!!

Okay, I picked on Geo boy, so I'll pick on you too. Equal time and all that stuff.

If you really are an english teacher, why don't you capitalize your sentences? Your posts aren't as hard to read as others, but without capitalization it slows me down trying to figure out when your next sentence begins.

An English teacher should know better.

I give your posts an F.

Ill ride my bike <_<

Okay, I picked on Geo boy, so I'll pick on you too. Equal time and all that stuff.

If you really are an english teacher, why don't you capitalize your sentences? Your posts aren't as hard to read as others, but without capitalization it slows me down trying to figure out when your next sentence begins.

I give your posts an F.

"everybody happy?

WE-WE-WE

& to hell with the chappy

who doesn't agree"

-e.e. cummings

(could you read that better? i typed slower that time.)

Edited by denali7

OK - I actually didn't understand the concept at first. Now I think I do. I also have a suggestion on how it might work a little better.

OK, for purposes of simplicity, lets say there are 10 locations plotted out for this multi-cache. The first step is the hider places well camoed containers large enough to hold an ammo box at each location. Set them in such a way that they would more or less be permanent, such as a hollowed out stump with a removeable "lid" that reveals a space that an ammo box would fit.

Next, each of these locations would have instructions permanently written on the inside of the cache holder. They would say if you find the ammo box you have found the actual cache and to move it on to the next container at the coordinates also permanently written inside that cache holder. They also say if there is no ammo box, you need to follow the coordinates written inside to find the next cache container.

This way there will always be some clear cut place to place the ammo box and always have a permanant record as to where the next possible cache location is.

As an added tweak, I would suggest that at location #10 the instructions would be the same as the first nine and the coordinates listed would be the initial starting location. This way, whoever finds the cache at location #10 automatically moves it back to the first stage where it can start a new cycle.

The ammo box would be the only place where items would be traded and the physical log would reside.

I would also advise that if a finder is unable to find the next cache container, that they return the ammo box to where they last found it. It would be up to you whether that would constitue a "find" or not. Personally, I would count it as a find and leave it up to the finders to decide if they move it on. Additionally, I would also allow them to decide how many stages they move it on... an enthusiastic finder might move the cache on 4 or five stages in one outing.

These are just ideas I am throwing out here - you can take them or leave em. I also think you can include a log book in every cache container separate from the ammo box. In this manner location #1 would be a traditional cache that MAY OR MAY NOT have trade items. locations #2 through #10 would probably be listed as mystery caches - although your reviewer might prefer it as a multicache since there will physically be instructions at the listed waypoint. I just don't know if they would allow 9 multicaches sharing the same starting waypoint as a traditional.

Anyway, under this variation, a finder would be granted a new find for each stage of the multicache. In a way, this might make sence as the FTF may only have found 2 waypoints (the initial point and the point he moved the ammo box to) but that same finder would really have a completely new experience on a later attempt to find the cache when it happens to be at stage #7

That might warrant a whole new find (or 5 more new finds as the case is)

Just to summerize - if all the locations had a permanent precise place to place the ammo box and permanent instructions on where to move the ammo box, a lot of the uncertainty of this idea would indeed be cleared up.

ALL that being said, I do recommend placing a few plain Jane traditionals first and having them in place for a month or so before fully committing to a larger project such as this.

geo_boy:

I agree with what has already been said, you appear to be very enthusiastic about placing a cache, and are coming up with some very creative ideas in the process. Both of these at face value are good attributes, and I hope that you maintain the enthusiasm and creativity.

However, since you have not yet hidden as a single traditional cache, the geocaching community in general views you as unproven. A cacher with several *good* hides to his/her name coming to this board will likely get a much more receptive audience than an unproven cacher with enormously complex cache ideas. Loading up your rocket and shooting for the moon is great, but it's a really good idea to have a few test launches under your belt first. I see that you have 40-some finds under your belt, good for you, you're about 20 up on me. So you've probably seen plenty of good examples of quality caches; before placing one of your creative caches, you should prove that you can yourself hide a quality cache. Remember, part of placing a cache is the ability to maintain it, and depending on the caching and/or muggle activity in your area, that could be a very big task. The goal is quality caches--not saying you're not capable of it, just saying we don't know. But a cache not placed is better than an unmaintained cache that becomes geolitter and gives geocaching a bad name.

Keep in mind that when you ask if an idea will work or not, many of the people that respond to your questions have hundreds, if not thousands, of cache finds, and sometimes are the very people that will be giving the cache final approval. These people have a very good feel for what would and would not be allowed on gc.com, and the guidelines they follow are there for good reason.

On a final note, while some rules of grammar, spelling, and punctuation are frequently ignored or allowed to slide, proofreading your posts before clicking 'submit' would really help you out (this goes for several other people as well) It's hard for people to answer your questions or reply to your post when they really can't figure out what exactly you said in the first place.

Keep working on the ideas, but really think about trying a few traditionals before going ahead on a more complex multi.

~dkwolf

I give your posts an F.

[pssst, mush...

you wrote geo_boy's name incorrectly, didn't capitalize the word "english" the first time you used it, and "your posts aren't as hard to read as others" should read, "your posts aren't as hard to read as other's posts..." (common student mistake, your writing should reflect that you are comparing posts to posts, not posts to people.) three errors in six sentences--i'd say you should be careful where you get undressed at night in that glass house.]

Just to summerize - if all the locations had a permanent precise place to place the ammo box and permanent instructions on where to move the ammo box, a lot of the uncertainty of this idea would indeed be cleared up.

Just like I explained in the Luck of the Draw cache I adopted above, except with ammo boxes. Since geo_boy is probably a teenager or less, he might night be able to afford to engineer 10 containers large enough to hold an ammo box. That's why I used the cache of mine as an example. It just uses micros. The logbook is moved to any micro on the initial list of coordinates at the finders whim.

NOTE: On the Internet, it really is rude to criticize people regarding the structure of their posts. This topic is a prime example. Some were nice about it, some were funny about it, others were just plain rude about it. I give geo_boy a lot of credit for hanging in there and even giving a great comeback at one point (as The Leprechauns noted above). Let's show each other some respect and give constructive criticism at best.

I like the modified version of this hunt. It's nice to see young people that are willing to think outside the box. <_<

I also don't respect people (cough...Sept1c_Tank.) that make rude comments in the forums when it's uncalled for. Especially to a young person that is obvisously trying very hard to put together a novel cache and has asked for advice from the community.

El Diablo