Speaking Of Stats....

I actually wish it would <_<

Sounds silly, and I know TPTB have announced that existing virtuals, webcams, etc. are not going to be rolled over into the Waymarking system - but I can see a lot of potential for the new site and a lot of features it has (ratings!) that GC.com does not have. It seems to me that it is simple to make a clean break between the two sites where GC.com caches have a physical cache and Waymarking visits do not. If a VC is currently worth going to now as listed on GC.com, I would think the Waymarking system would be better organized and possibly make the visit an even BETTER experience.

As for the numbers, I really don't care, but from an organizational point of view, I think it is best to narrow down the focus of each of the two sites and remove the grey area in between. That, IMHO, would be best served by rolling all the VC, webcam, locationless, etc. caches completely from GC.com to Waymarking. And yeah, if you move the records, that includes the stats.

I know it'll never happen that way, but I'm just explaining why I'd prefer if it were that way.

I actually wish it would  <_<

Here here! Doesn't sound silly at all (at least, not to me!).

Make geocaching a hunt for boxes, and Waymarking a hunt for places. Benefits all round, I'd have thought. It'd certainly benefit those negotiating with landowners for permission to cache.

Grandfathering virtuals is undoubtedly the path of least resistance, but other than the lack of a brief flurry of wailing and gnashing of teeth, what does it offer other than confusion and untidiness?

ps Jeremy, you're welcome to forward all hatemail to contact@teasel.org (up to 2mbit/s dumped straight to /dev/null, at your service! <_< )

Edited by Teasel
Grandfathering virtuals is undoubtedly the path of least resistance, but other than the lack of a brief flurry of wailing and gnashing of teeth, what does it offer other than confusion and untidiness?

A way for those of who will not be waypointing to keep an overall history of the geocaching we've done... even before the virtuals and locationless were taken from us.

A way for those of who will not be waypointing to keep an overall history of the geocaching we've done... even before the virtuals and locationless were taken from us.

Well you didn't know it at the time, but you were actually waypointing, not geocaching. <_<

Well you didn't know it at the time, but you were actually waypointing, not geocaching. <_<

I'm sorry I meant to say Waymarking.

And whether I was geocaching or not depends on how you define a cache. You can define a cache how you want.. and I'll do the same. Unfortunately TPTB have defined it for all of us.

And whether I was geocaching or not depends on how you define a cache.  You can define a cache how you want.. and I'll do the same.  Unfortunately TPTB have defined it for all of us.

Well someone has to do it. You know, make decisions and stuff.

yes. and as consumers to your comercial product called a website, we can choose whether or not to support those decisions with our $$$

Nothing that is being done will effect the history of our geocaching. No LCs or virts are going to suddenly disappear. The worse case scenarion is that they will be archived. Your finds will still show.

In fact, if you really like virts as I do when I'm out-of-town, there will be plenty to look for over at WM.com.

Yes, I was just answering the question, "Grandfathering virtuals...what does it offer?" I understand for the time being, the history will remain. Hopefully, the presure by some to remove it completely will not out-weigh the presure by others to keep it. But if it does then that will just be one more thing about life in general that sucks. There are plenty of things that still don't suck so I'm good either way.

I liked the occasional virtual but not enough to go to a different site and sift through all the rubish for a few. It was nice to see them right next to the other caches in what ever area I was headed.

Edited by mini cacher