Category Proposal: Tailgating

Divided by a common language again!

In the UK tailgating is following the vehicle in front too close. 

What is tailgating and can the category be renamed so as to be understood by all?

tail·gate

v. intr.

1. To follow another vehicle too closely.

2. To participate in a picnic that is served from the tailgate of a vehicle, as before a sports event.

- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tailgate

For a better understanding of #2 above, see http://www.tailgating.com/.

It's got it's own dictionary entry - I'm not sure what else you could call it!

tail·gate

v. intr.

1. To follow another vehicle too closely.

2. To participate in a picnic that is served from the tailgate of a vehicle, as before a sports event.

- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tailgate

For a better understanding of #2 above, see http://www.tailgating.com/.

It's got it's own dictionary entry - I'm not sure what else you could call it!

But that's my point. The definition you've found is in a US-centric dictionary (nothing wrong in that).

The dictionary on my bookshelf (OED) doesn't recognise 2 of the 6 definitions on the webpage. That doesn't mean either OED or the webpage are wrong - they are just different (Although I would take issue with n. 2 on the webpage - the tailgate in a canal lock is always the lower one).

In terms of that the OP meant "tailgating" is meaningless to English speakers in the UK and possibly in more of the English speaking world. I'm only proposing universal clarity.

Am I to take it from the definition that the tailgating referred to is an informal affair?

Jon.

Edited by The J J Noodle Fan Club
The definition you've found is in a US-centric dictionary.

And it may be (and probably is) that tailgating is a US-centric (or possibly North American) activity. I don't know know that there really is any other way to explain it.

Am I to take it from the definition that the tailgating referred to is an informal affair?

That depends on what you mean by "informal". Do people usually dress up? Not usually. Do people often spend more on the tailgate party than they do on the event tickets. Yes. Do they plan weeks in advance. Yes. Do they organize large groups to get together for a tailgate party before a game. Yes. Can you show up uninvited to a tailgate party? Often, yes.

Sorry about the confusion. It's a slang term that now has it's own definition. It's the preparty/getogether before a major sporting event and typically includes a lot of food and a grill. Some setups are quite elaborate and many folks view the "tailgate" as more of an event than the sports game.

They don't do this before major soccer or cricket events in the UK?

AG, after thinking about it, my thought is to limit it to pro and college sports, so I'm in basic agreement with your original theory. ... Then open another catagory for family sports events.

:blink:

And concerts!

Wouldn't that fall under my other category proposal of music venues though?

Wouldn't that fall under my other category proposal of music venues though?

It could, but it depends on what larger category they fall under. If they were to fall under Places, then probably. But Jeremy has said there will be an Events root category when they go live. If it were under Events, then I see both the various sports events tailgating and the concert tailgating as subcategories under the Tailgating category.

Obviously I still don't understand this new game. I thought a waymark had to be a place or thing at a place the others could visit and log their visits. It's somewhat similar to a virtual in this regard or a locationless that is at a location everyone can visit after it has been waymarked. Tailgate parties are events, onetime events at arbitrary locations, thus cannot be revisited at by someone else at another date.

Can someone clarify.

Obviously I still don't understand this new game. I thought a waymark had to be a place or thing at a place the others could visit and log their visits.

No. You're getting the general idea. This is a peer review and you're asking good questions. Personally I wouldn't find this very useful as a category but the closest to usefulness would be "Tailgate Party Locations" and a variable may be "type of tailgate party - sport, concert"