New York State Geocoin

junglehair

I can understand people from the Long Island area wanting the lighthouse, but sorry, it just doesn't say New York State. We would all love to have our part of the state shown, but then you would have to make something the size of dinner plates to do it.(hmm maybe we can start new trend, Geo Plates!) I live in the Binghamton area. This area is known for Endicott & Johnson shoes, IBM and the Susquehanna River. Should that be put on the coin? No, because it doesn't say New York State. Even though everyone I know, knows all about it. I asked around work if anyone knew where the Montauk Point lighthouse is? Out of about 35 people, only one person did and that's because she is into lighthouse collectables. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Long Island or the lighthouse, but when I think of NYS, a lighthouse never came to mind. Since NY is know for it's wines, my thought is to have a wine bottle and grapes put on the coin where the lighhouse/Finger Lakes where. That can represent both the Finger Lakes and Long Island as both have many wineries and vineyards. What does everyone think of that idea?

I don't think non-New Yorkers associate wine with New York either. California, sure, but not NY.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Hate the FLX sticker in the middle of the new design. Sorry Vargseld, I know that you're trying to still represent the Finger Lakes region on the coin, but that just looks out of place there and I doubt anyone would know what FLX stands for anyway. What about inserting the actual finger lakes image there instead? It's central NY and central to the coin, and the shape of the lakes lend themselves to that oval design. Otherwise, I'd leave it out all together.

2) The lighthouse gives symmetry to the current X design.

3) I do think the finger lakes region is an important part of New York and would like to see that somehow represented on the coin. But the previous finger lakes image looked like crap. Perhaps there is a better way to represent that?

4) I actually liked the collage idea that JerseyTrex posted.

5) Rather than the lighthoue or the finger lakes for that 4th square, maybe we add a little hiker making a trail across the state to tie in the idea of geocaching. (just an idea here).

Ok, so I didn't really post any solutions, just food for thought.

:mad: Had no idea what FLX stood for and it stands out like it's the most important thing on that side of the coin. Great region of the state but not the way it should be represented. If you're going to put FLX why not a stray cat to represent the Catskills, or an old leather shoe to represent the leatherstocking district or a trout to represent the great fly fishing on the upper Delaware. It's nuts to try and single out one area; go with the four corners and if you want to put something in the middle put a tribute to the WTC....
1) ...What about inserting the actual finger lakes image there instead?  It's central NY and central to the coin, and the shape of the lakes lend themselves to that oval design.

So something like this... That works for me, now both locations are represented and the lakes don't look as stupid as before.

552d821a-e023-41d1-a882-599a2a17fd33.jpg

5) Rather than the lighthoue or the finger lakes for that 4th square, maybe we add a little hiker making a trail across the state to tie in the idea of geocaching. (just an idea here).

I don't think copying MIGO is a good idea. :mad:

Edited by Vargseld? ™

I, like several others, had no clue where Montauk Point was. I do like the other 3 quadrants a lot though. Here's my two cents... how about some kind of Erie Canal thing instead of the lighthouse? Maybe a mule pulling a boat through the locks or something, like in the "old days". Lots of history involving the Erie Canal, and it traverses pretty much the entire state so nearly everyone is familiar with it. Just an idea.

So something like this... That works for me, now both locations are represented and the lakes don't look as stupid as before.

I don't think other then the folks that have read the thread, the image of the finger lakes in the middle would be obvious. I know it wouldn't be obvious to me and I think you want this coin to represent New York and not just to NYers.

i think the 4 main images represent the state well, at least from my Northern NJ view of it.

Vargseld, can I get you to try one thing... instead of having a white background around the finger lakes, can you make it grey to represent the silver coin. I think it would help it to blend in more and would be more realistic of how the coin would end up looking.

The Erie canal is a good idea, but also representative of upstate New York.

I don't think other then the folks that have read the thread, the image of the finger lakes in the middle would be obvious. I know it wouldn't be obvious to me and I think you want this coin to represent New York and not just to NYers.

i think the 4 main images represent the state well, at least from my Northern NJ view of it.

To some extent there's going to be things on the coin that might not be obvious to everyone. I would wager that the average person would recognize enough of the other places depicted to know that it's New York, though. Not everything has to be widely known by the whole US. Take a look at the Indiana coin. What's Narrow's Bridge? I don't know either, but I still know it's Indiana and like the coin.

Vargseld, can I get you to try one thing... instead of having a white background around the finger lakes, can you make it grey to represent the silver coin. I think it would help it to blend in more and would be more realistic of how the coin would end up looking.

I just changed the image in the post above. I forgot to change the color when I first did it.

And I think people associate vineyards with NY just as much as they do lighthouses. Can we get some people other than those who've already said they like/dislike the lighthouse to give an opinion? Just from comments it looks like there's actually quite a few people who like it.

hi,

I like the back of the coin with a representation of 4 areas via the X, but the tiny finger lakes image willl be tinier still when the coin is produced at actual size...imagine the finger lakes graphic at 1/4 the size it is now...it'll look like some scratches on what would otherwise be a great coin.

Coins are small and cannot show everything a state like NY has to offer...if we lived in Iowa, we would be hunting for enough stuff to fill 2 sides of a coin, but here we need to pick and choose, and maybe the finger lakes shouldn't make the cut this time... :mad:

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

I like mine the best. :mad:

I think the finger lakes will look like scratches to the average person. Imagine hundreds of cachers going, "HEY MINES SCRATCHED!!! I WANT A NEW ONE!!!"

It'll happen! I am not a big fan of the quadrant thing. I think the most obvious thing left off the coin that EVERY person alive thinks about first when they think of NY is New York City. How about a skyline in the background turning into actual Mountains. Want a good layout? Walk outside and look at your license plates. Thats exactly what you should be going for in your own way.

Mike :mad:

When & How will these be able to be purchased?

The design is great; somebody put quite a bit of time and effort (and allowing himself/herself to be scrutinized). Well done.

Once we have finalized the design, we will be getting quotes for the cost to create these coins and can establish the price. We plan to have a paypal account set up for pre-orders. Of course, you could always mail in a money order instead.

We will announce the presales in this forum, plus the travelbug section when ready. Hopefully in the not too distant future.

Vargseld? ™ gets the credit for the design of the coin with input from the NYGO Board members, people that attended our Annual General Meeting, and comments from the forums.

Ok, here goes...

It seems that everyone agrees with the design we have for the first side of the coin, which will look like this:

side1.jpg

Side two has undergone a few modifications. We have come up with two designs. Let us know which you prefer, and we go with that for the back side of the coin. Here are your options:

a3fb1146-2b14-4b27-8661-9ef346c4ba7e.jpg

Let us know if you prefer the color design or the collage. Thanks.

I'll probably be in for 2

;) I would be interested in 2 coins.

I'm glad that you and many others are interested in buying coins, but this thread is not for pre orders. Please everyone, don't try to make anymore pre orders. How about voting for a design instead? :laughing:

The design is great; somebody put quite a bit of time and effort (and allowing himself/herself to be scrutinized). Well done.

Thank you for the complement. If you can't open yourself up to being scrutinized then you shouldn't be designing stuff. :laughing: This thread has been very good for ideas and critiquing.

The back of the coin still looks like it was sponsored by the Finger lakes Chamber of commerce. Geez if you're going to put something so prominent in the middle of the coin make it something the rest of the world recognizes. Could someone just buy the front half of the coin the back looks like ......

The back of the coin still looks like it was sponsored by the Finger lakes Chamber of commerce. Geez if you're going to put something so prominent in the middle of the coin make it something the rest of the world recognizes.

It's a map. I think the world would recognize that it's a map, even if they don't know the specific location. Central New York is the finger lakes region, so if you were looking at a map of NY like that, it's what you would see.

I think Vargseld has done a good job of trying to incorporate the suggestions from everyone on here. Obviously we can't please everyone, but he has made a few modifications based on your suggestions.

We need to be able to finalize this design soon so that we can move on to the production phase.

Coming from a coin collector and a NY'er....

The colorization of any coin is lame. I want to see metal. Now if you want to frost the coin, that is cool, Niagra Falls would look awesome frosted, Ditto for the Statue of Liberty. Frosting makes the subject in the coin stand out.

You already have the City/Country represented with the Statue Of Liberty but if your looking for a good feel to NY, how about King Kong and the Empire State Building or just the Empire States Building. (although it may be too much NYC)

I have nothing against the Finger Lakes, in fact I spend some time up there with a beautiful lady (*sigh*). I just don't see it as such an important place that it needs to be depicted on a coin and the same could be said of many other ideas suggested.

I don't like the coin as is but like the collage but I would like it better if it was a bit less cluttered.

In order for this to be a true NYS coin, all the geo orgs of NY should be represented. Such as on the obverse NYGO - LIGO- ETC - ETC

Thanks

Dave

Ok, here goes...

It seems that everyone agrees with the design we have for the first side of the coin, which will look like this:

side1.jpg

Side two has undergone a few modifications. We have come up with two designs. Let us know which you prefer, and we go with that for the back side of the coin. Here are your options:

a3fb1146-2b14-4b27-8661-9ef346c4ba7e.jpg

Let us know if you prefer the color design or the collage. Thanks.

Front looks fine.

Back needs adjustments.

I think the Finger Lakes should either be ditched altogether. Sorry I know some of you are in love with the idea. They just look weird. Plain and simple. If you could find a better representation maybe.

The Lighthouse needs to be moved. It looks like Lady Liberty has a cone head right now. She was the dunce of the fourth grade class. Poor miss Liberty. NOW GO SIT IN THE CORNER!

I like the way you made it a quadrant but ditched the frame thing.

It looks better that way. Good compromise.

Thats my two cents on the latest incarnations.

Mike

Thanks again to Vargseld for taking a bit of a pounding in here. I don't like the second choice with the finger lakes map only because it's a little too busy looking. The X design is nice and simple. I have no problem with the Finger Lakes region being represented but I just don't think there's a good way to do it. It just doesn't look right. Maybe someone could go there with a bulldozer and redesign the lakes themselves so they look more like lakes and not scratches. I think for the sake of design, they should be ditched. I feel bad saying that because I know it's important to a lot of people.

I like the idea of the cite skyline but then I think we need to take out the Statue of Liberty.

I like the idea of the cite skyline but then I think we need to take out the Statue of Liberty.

Take out the Statue of Liberty? What's more New York than the SoL??

What if we simplified the collage by taking out the map of the finger lakes, and the lighthouse and just left the City skyline (with the SoL), Niagara Falls, and the mountains? That would be similar to what is shown on our New York State licence plates.

One person in the NYGO forums commented that replacing the torch with a GPS in the Statue of Liberty's hand was in poor taste. How do others feel about this?

And as JMBella stated, thanks to Vargseld for allowing us to critique the design, and to everyone else for keeping their comments constructive.

Ever since the first design I've wanted the lakes removed. Everyone agrees, they look bad. Now I finally got the go ahead to ditch them. I've also been trying to get the Montauk Point Lighthouse ON the coin, but many people didn't like that, plus it was getting way too busy from showing everything that everyone wanted. Now think about this, how big & famous are the Finger Lakes & the Montauk Point Lighthouse compaired to the other locations represented? When put next to the Statue of Liberty or Niagara Falls they're really not as well know or as well visited. These two locations just do not stand up well to the "heavy weight contenders" that NY has.

For the sake of the coins design they're both going to be left off of the collage (and in the Finger Lakes case both designs). I'm truly sorry to everyone who wanted to see the Finger Lakes on the coin. I tried. There was way too much clutter and those were the most logical things to remove. The only thing that could be changed on the collage now would be replacing the NYC skyline with that of Albany, the state capital, since NYC is represented twice. So which is it going to be? I did very briefly consider putting in the Montauk Point Lighthouse where the statue is, but you can't have a NY coin without the Statue of Liberty. :laughing:

dd2ca3b1-6465-40b9-b435-1f5fa9818d4f.jpg

Edited by Vargseld? ™

Take out the Statue of Liberty? What's more New York than the SoL??

No... my point was that NYC shouldn't be represented once.

Edited by JMBella

Done. Print.

Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The picture of the falls should probably be the American falls in New York. :laughing: I probably would have noticed but I just came back from there last week.

Being from Long Island I like the lighthouse. However, why not eliminate all the regional representation and have the State Bird: Bluebird; Flower: Rose; Tree: Sugar Maple State Song: I Love New York. Four colors, four official state symbols!

Edited by devil duckies,peter&judy
Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls.

That is the American side, honest. There's usually just so much mist that it looks different. Plus that one wasn't taken from the normal viewing area. Take a look at this picture to see what's shown on the coin.

Now lunch is calling.

Edited by Vargseld? ™

“However, why not eliminate all the regional representation and have the State Bird: Bluebird; Flower: Rose; Tree: Sugar Maple

State Song: I Love New York”

That idea was mentioned off of the forums, but it was shot down.

I would rather see the Albany skyline or the State Capital building in place of the NYC skyline. The SoL covers the NYC area.

I disagree color is lame. The idea was to make the New York coin stand out. Coins I have with color look better then just etched ones, but it looks like everyone is leaning towards the collage. At least the front will have color and that rich blue and yellow on a silver coin will look great.

Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls.

That is the American side, honest. There's usually just so much mist that it looks different. Plus that one wasn't taken from the normal viewing area. Take a look at this picture to see what's shown on the coin.

Now lunch is calling.

Oh yeah.. look at that. Sorry.

Done. Print.

Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The picture of the falls should probably be the American falls in New York. :unsure: I probably would have noticed but I just came back from there last week.

I like the "final" "Last" and hopefully "penultimate" design it looks a lot cleaner and I think represents New York state to the rest of the world. Wouldn't have a clue what the Albany skyline looked like and I was only there a couple of weeks ago so if the NYC skyline is going to be replaced I vote for Joe's tree with maybe a troll underneath it to represent Joe searching for a cache. <_<.

Done. Print.

Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The picture of the falls should probably be the American falls in New York. :o I probably would have noticed but I just came back from there last week.

I like the "final" "Last" and hopefully "penultimate" design it looks a lot cleaner and I think represents New York state to the rest of the world. Wouldn't have a clue what the Albany skyline looked like and I was only there a couple of weeks ago so if the NYC skyline is going to be replaced I vote for Joe's tree with maybe a troll underneath it to represent Joe searching for a cache. <_<.

Well technically the SOL belongs to Jersey since its in OUR WATER! But I guess we can loan it to you. We'll set up a leasing program through Groundspeak. For every coin sold the NNJC will recieve 10% of the profit. :(

Actually I think this design is perfect. DONT TOUCH IT! Send it straight to the minters right away before its too late! :unsure::(

You guys don't have to nit pick this to death because you just know you will be making another NY coin a in a couple of years. Put the Lighthouse and the Cheetos Lakes on that one.

Kudos for the designer.

Mike

I like it but also recommend that you get it frosted or inquire if you can get certain things frosted such as the falls.

Personally, I'm interested in colors but I've never seen frosted. Can you post an example of a frosted vs non-frosted coin?

This is probably not the greatest of examples but it is the difference between:

Cameo

and

Non-cameo

Silvermark created some coins with the frosted look on it. I will try to scan one tonight and post it.

Dave

I'm not a NYer, and I know I have no right to have a say in the design, especially this late in the process, but I'd make the GPS unit in Lady Liberty's hand a little more obvious. My first thought was that it was a can of beer. Maybe using a unit with a more distinctive profile, like a Garmin GSPMAP 60CS or Magellan SporTrak.

tomato.gif

Done. Print.

Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The picture of the falls should probably be the American falls in New York. :unsure: I probably would have noticed but I just came back from there last week.

Didn't I see this in a movie?

Mike <_<