New York State Geocoin

junglehair

“However, why not eliminate all the regional representation and have the State Bird: Bluebird; Flower: Rose; Tree: Sugar Maple

State Song: I Love New York”

That idea was mentioned off of the forums, but it was shot down.

I would rather see the Albany skyline or the State Capital building in place of the NYC skyline. The SoL covers the NYC area.

I disagree color is lame. The idea was to make the New York coin stand out. Coins I have with color look better then just etched ones, but it looks like everyone is leaning towards the collage. At least the front will have color and that rich blue and yellow on a silver coin will look great.

If the idea is to make it recognizable by people unknowledgeable about NY I don't see how the Albany skyline, finger lake scratch marks, mountain, forest or lighthouse will do it. If the idea is to teach someone something about NY then what better then the state bird,tree,flower & song. Four colors, four items no regional bickering. And I bet at least half the people in NY can't name them all. Seems like a logical solution.

If you REALLY want it to represent New York in a way that people recognize, you should have the Yankees NY logo and pintripes on the coin!

VOMIT <_<

Don't be a HATER there Mets fan! 26 Championships are like 24 more then the hapless team from Flushing (how appropos)

So how were those 1920's World Series compared to now?

Mike :unsure:

I like the X option, the one to the left, with the 4 sections...the other one seems busy/messy. I'm not crazy about the GPS in Lady Libertys hand...prefer the torch.

I like the front.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

Tough crowd. Can't please everyone.

My 2 cents: use the state capital building instead of the Albany skyline. When I first looked at the latest design, I thought it was the Battery. I think most Noo Yawkers will recognize the state capital building. Also the design will be a little less cluttered with one building. The simpler the better. I thought the simple I Love NY logo would be good but I note that it is a registered trademark of the New York State Department of Economic Development so you would need a license or permission. It may be too late in the day, but did anyone check any of the designs that were considered (but rejected) for the NY State quarter? There might be some ideas there.

One way or the other, good luck with it.

What are the lines in the center of the falls? (to the left of liberty's wrist holding the torch/gps)

I like it but also recommend that you get it frosted or inquire if you can get certain things frosted such as the falls.

Thanks

Dave

Those lines are trees from the image of the Adirondacks. They'll be removed when the die is actually made.

Frosting sounds like an interesting idea, but the plan all along was to put an epoxy coating on that side. That will make it look 3D. If you have a NWPA coin take a look at the side with the ship. It has an epoxy coating and looks fantastic. Do you know if it would be possible to have the falls frosted and then get an epoxy coating over the whole thing? That might be getting up there in price, though.

Edited by Vargseld? ™
dd2ca3b1-6465-40b9-b435-1f5fa9818d4f.jpg

Done. Print.

Actually, if I really wanted to nit pick.. those look like the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The picture of the falls should probably be the American falls in New York. :unsure: I probably would have noticed but I just came back from there last week.

Didn't I see this in a movie?

Mike <_<

Looking good so far. Just how come that one building looks like a giant AA battery? :o

Mike <_<

Looking good so far. Just how come that one building looks like a giant AA battery? :unsure:

Actually the building that looks like a AA battery is attractive in real life it reflects the harbor and what you see is the glass face. Great views from the building of Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, Verrazano Bridge, Battery Park & NY Harbor. But I agree on the coin it looks like a AA battery. To the left where you get a gap in the skyline (low buildings in front) you would have seen the WTC. If the Lady was placed to the left side you'd have a pretty accurate picture of downtown from the Jersey side.

Mike ;)

Looking good so far. Just how come that one building looks like a giant AA battery? ;)

Actually the building that looks like a AA battery is attractive in real life it reflects the harbor and what you see is the glass face. Great views from the building of Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, Verrazano Bridge, Battery Park & NY Harbor. But I agree on the coin it looks like a AA battery. To the left where you get a gap in the skyline (low buildings in front) you would have seen the WTC. If the Lady was placed to the left side you'd have a pretty accurate picture of downtown from the Jersey side.

Waterspyder had a brilliant idea but I don't want to steal his thunder so I'm hoping he'll share it with you all.

;) Thanks Joe, here's the idea - go with a common face on the coin, the face would have the coin number etc... so GEO Inc. would only be tracking one series of coins for us. Then the back side of the coin could be regional. While it would cost more for the extra dies for the back side the overall number of coins sold should be higher. Think "state quarters" the front is common the back is tailored to the state. Visualize a "Finger Lakes" region back, NYC back, Long Island back, Adirondacks Peaks region back ectecera. They become instant collectors items since everyone would want one of each region or to log one from each region, Seems like the extra cost of the dies would be offset by the higher number of coins sold. A little working with GEO Inc. on the numbers part for example the Adirondacks coin could be numbered something like ADK 101, Finger lakes FLX 101 --- you get the idea and then you could track if you found one from each region.

If that concept works out phase two would be a regional coin - say something like the MID-Atlantic states coin. Follow the same logic for the back of the coin and now you've increased the market "X" fold for the coins and added a whole new collectors/finders series.

Like I said on the LIGO forum it sounds to logical so there must be an error in my thought process so poke holes all you want.

Interesting concept Waterspyder. My first thought is where we'd come up with the funds to pay for all the dies, but perhaps each region that wanted their own coin could contribute to the cost (and likewise share in the earnings).

Second thought - I doubt that we would be able to have them all tracked separately on GC.com. They require a minimum of 1,000 coins to make them trackable, so unless we were going to order 1,000 for each region, I don't think they'd go for it.

I'm not knocking the idea, just working through the logistics.

Can't you just see the competition now for who's regional coin looked best! ;)

They wouldn't be tracked separately by GEO inc. they would have one group of numbers but if the number series had a distinguishing sub - characteristic based on region each cacher could track the coins they located by region. As far as GEO inc. would be concerned all coins in the series would show as a NY geocoin and they would only have one icon. Start the coin number off with NY and even the dumbest computer could log the coin as a NY geo coin doesn't really matter what number follows. It would be up to the cacher if they wanted to track coins any closer based on the coin number. I'm not really hung on the numbering part so if it doesn't work no big deal. But I think the concept of different backsides solves the issue of everyone wanting a different thing included on the coin.

As far as the price I visualize each region that wanted a coin picking up the cost of dies for back side of the coin. Some group wants the Hudson River on the back side they have to put some skin in the game and pay for the Hudson River die...

Like I said on the LIGO forum it sounds to logical so there must be an error in my thought process so poke holes all you want.

That is a good idea, but it's $1500 per 1000 tracking numbers. That's a lot of cash, not to mention the other expenses. Plus I honestly don't see 4000-5000 coins selling. Past experience shows that no coin here has ever had that much demand.

;) Thanks Joe, here's the idea - go with a common face on the coin, the face would have the coin number etc... so GEO Inc. would only be tracking one series of coins for us. Then the back side of the coin could be regional. While it would cost more for the extra dies for the back side the overall number of coins sold should be higher. Think "state quarters" the front is common the back is tailored to the state. Visualize a "Finger Lakes" region back, NYC back, Long Island back, Adirondacks Peaks region back ectecera. They become instant collectors items since everyone would want one of each region or to log one from each region, Seems like the extra cost of the dies would be offset by the higher number of coins sold. A little working with GEO Inc. on the numbers part for example the Adirondacks coin could be numbered something like ADK 101, Finger lakes FLX 101 --- you get the idea and then you could track if you found one from each region.

If that concept works out phase two would be a regional coin - say something like the MID-Atlantic states coin. Follow the same logic for the back of the coin and now you've increased the market "X" fold for the coins and added a whole new collectors/finders series.

This sounds so familiar.

Where have I heard this before?

Mike ;)

That is a good idea, but it's $1500 per 1000 tracking numbers. That's a lot of cash, not to mention the other expenses. Plus I honestly don't see 4000-5000 coins selling. Past experience shows that no coin here has ever had that much demand.

That's the whole point. We wouldn't have to order 4000-5000. There would be one NY geocoin order of 1000. 250 will have the Finger lakes on the back, 250 will have the Statue of Liberty, 250 will have the Montauk LH, 250 would have Niagara Falls... then we can keep going if we want. If The Capitol Region wants there own coin, they can have 250 with the AA Battery on it, the Adirondack can have a coin with some mountains and pine trees. The possibilities are endless and the cost shouldn't be prohibitive.

That's the whole point. We wouldn't have to order 4000-5000. There would be one NY geocoin order of 1000. 250 will have the Finger lakes on the back, 250 will have the Statue of Liberty, 250 will have the Montauk LH, 250 would have Niagara Falls... then we can keep going if we want. If The Capitol Region wants there own coin, they can have 250 with the AA Battery on it, the Adirondack can have a coin with some mountains and pine trees. The possibilities are endless and the cost shouldn't be prohibitive.

You've got it Joe. With the number broken down to around 250 of each it should be a fairly easy sell for each region. I can see the Long Island one selling out fairly easily and the other regions should do as well. If there were more than four regions the number needed to be sold by each region would drop even further. ;)

250 will have the Statue of Liberty---Errrrr ? Wouldn't that make it the NJ Geocoin ? ;)  Seriously, NYC Skyline  the most famous profile in the world.

I know, the Statue of Libery is in NJ waters but you're still looking at her a$s. That might explain the smell over there though. ;)

Edited by JMBella
250 will have the Statue of Liberty---Errrrr ? Wouldn't that make it the NJ Geocoin ? :huh:  Seriously, NYC Skyline  the most famous profile in the world.

I know, the Statue of Libery is in NJ waters but you're still looking at her a$s. That might explain the smell over there though. :o

Some people think a nice a$s is worth looking at. Maybe you ought to walk from my office to the Path station every day... it's the most enjoyable part of my day!

Other then when I get home to my lovely family.

If you do four different ones you will most likely sell double than what your thinking because as you said, there are alot of collector's who will buy one of each instead of 4 of one region. I still like the collage idea the best though. We are doing a 4 set NJ coin which will change the next few times we do it. Next year we will create another which will focus on a different region. So in essance you will be doing the same thing except all at one time. I will say that letting each region have its own image space does allow for better and larger imagry for each. It will be cool either way. Good luck.

Mike :huh:

250 will have the Statue of Liberty---Errrrr ? Wouldn't that make it the NJ Geocoin ? :huh:  Seriously, NYC Skyline  the most famous profile in the world.

I know, the Statue of Libery is in NJ waters but you're still looking at her a$s. That might explain the smell over there though. :o

Some people think a nice a$s is worth looking at. Maybe you ought to walk from my office to the Path station every day... it's the most enjoyable part of my day!

Other then when I get home to my lovely family.

Considering where you work, I can understand that sentiment!

I'm a NYGO member....one of the original......and am still pretty dissapointed at the lack of interest in representing the State's Capital on a state coin!!!

Albany does have a great recognizable skyline with it's large tower, 4 smaller towers and the "Egg".

We use it in our Capital Region Geocacher logo. Looks like this:

logo.jpg

If the skyline portion could be used without the little yellow cacher dude in front of it, it would represent Albany nicely.

I do like the "X" version better but a scenic image can be nicely done like the backside of the GeoWoodstock III coin.

If the option of having a coin for each region in NYGO is possible then I'd vote for that option. I'd get a couple of each region! NYGO currently has 8 regions defined on the site but a couple of those really could be combined.

If that can't be done reasonably then the single coin with the X design would be my next choice.

I had no idea what the lighthouse represented until expained but if it's important to the LI folks then that's fine. Either the Statue of Liberty OR the Empire State Building would be good for NYC. The Falls is great for the western part of the state and I don't think anyone could argue about the tree covered mountains for the Adirondacks. The fingerlakes are just a tough area to represent. Not sure about that but the squiggle lines wouldn't be my first choice.

If any designs suggested could be run through a program like Photoshop or PaintshopPro where you can make lineart out of any picture or image, it would really help to see what the various designs would look like in reality on the coin.

Wow - I missed a bunch on here. Let me see if I can cover it all.

You can put me in the boat and I will have no problem giving the finger or mooning for the coin.

Don't even start the Mets/Yanks debate Tiffany's biatches, it just makes me devise new ways to cook that dog. I'm thinking tailgating at Shea, stuffed pig idea... :D

Vargseld - good work all around - thanks for putting a ton of idea together and dealing with all of us - NYer's are slightly opinionated. And, I'm always right. :lol:

I personally like the X design and agree that the collage is a bit busy. That, and it looks like the end of days with the falls pouring down on the city. :unsure:

Now - Ray - AWESOME idea! The coins would without a doubt sell like crazy - people who would want one would almost definitely buy one of each. I know I would buy one of each. Definitely a good way to satisfy everyone - then you could put all of the organizations around the rim on the front side - or put the state outline and show where each org represents (that might be too busy too.)

As far as the SoL's @ss, to each his own. Dave, if you need to talk, I'm here for you buddy. :anitongue:

Whew, ok, think I'm done.

Jumping in with my 2 1/2 cents worth...i have designed and produced 2 geocoins and well as been part of a few other state geocoin projects.

you will easily sell 1000 coins. the collectors will be chomping at the bit to buy them...there are two coin clubs that i know of that will order up to 350 coins between them alone.

as for minting 250 of 4 different coins....die cost are about $75 per side. minimum orders from coins companies will have higher prices...usually 1000 coins is the best deal and you can get them done for about $2.80 -$3.50 per coin. add in the gc.com charge of 1.50 per coin and you are at $5 per coin.

i guess you would have to work it out with the coin company if they will make a deal.

as for the design..i love the front....like the divided conept with SOL, the Falls, the lighthouse, and skyline. You could put a circle in the middle with the script "G" for caching.

First of all, thank you to everyone that offered suggestions for the design of the first ever New York Geocoin! We have reviewed

the comments from here and the thread in the NYGO forums.

Waterspyder made the suggestion to use same front for all the coins (the NYGO logo) and allow the various regions to create their own design for the reverse side of the coin. Although this was a great concept, we determined it would not be financially feasible for many of the reasons that The Dillon Gang already listed above.

I am happy to finally announce the design that we have decided to go with which can be seen here:

77f26162-0bca-45d2-9616-e9c7a46881b5.jpg

The images represent the Adirondack Mountains, Niagara Falls (the American Falls side), the Albany skyline, and the Statue of Liberty (with her torch).

There are so many other great parts to this state that we would have liked to be able to include, but obviously it can't all fit on one coin.

We will be requesting quotes based on this design, and should have a system set up to take pre-orders in the near future.

Again, thanks for all your input and thanks to Vargseld? for all his hard work. I can't wait to see the final product!