New York State Geocoin

junglehair

I like the design of the front.

I understand the back is using the 4 colors of caching, and also areas that symbolizes New York, which is a cool idea. But it seems very rigid.

I wonder what it would look like if the design were more of an X instead of a +. So the Statue of Liberty is at the top of the X, the lakes are at the bottom, and so forth.

Just thinking out loud.

don

I like the coin. Something to consider, and it just popped into my head while looking at the images for the back, is to arrange them more in the order they would appear in the state.

What I mean is the images currently shows Liberty at the top left, forest at the top right, Niagara Falls on the bottom left and the Finger lakes (I assume that's what it represents) on the bottom right.

From a geographical standpoint, wouldn't the following better reflect the state:

Niagara Falls - top left

Finger Lakes - top right

Forest - bottom left

Liberty - bottom right

Just a thought. Let everyone know when we can pre-order them.

I like the coin. Something to consider, and it just popped into my head while looking at the images for the back, is to arrange them more in the order they would appear in the state.

What I mean is the images currently shows Liberty at the top left, forest at the top right, Niagara Falls on the bottom left and the Finger lakes (I assume that's what it represents) on the bottom right.

From a geographical standpoint, wouldn't the following better reflect the state:

Niagara Falls - top left

Finger Lakes - top right

Forest - bottom left

Liberty - bottom right

Just a thought. Let everyone know when we can pre-order them.

Part of the reason they were laid out as they were is so that the blue square could serve as the sky for the Niagara Falls image, and the green square would be the background for the forest image.

We are open to other ideas for images to go in the four squares as well, so if you have ideas for something representative of New York, let us know.

Keep the suggestions coming. We want to make this a top notch coin!

Part of the reason they were laid out as they were is so that the blue square could serve as the sky for the Niagara Falls image, and the green square would be the background for the forest image.

Ah! I didn't even look at the colors as matching the GC.com logo colors. Makes sense.

I like the front side.

For the back I would suggest something like the NY License Plates. Try and meld those seperate regions into a collage of sorts. Nix the whole quadrant thing and put the Falls running along on the bottom with liberty's face top right facing right. Put the finger lakes and Pine trees with maybe even a couple of Adirondak peaks behind in the upper left.

I know that someone took some time to put it together so I don't want to step all over what you currently have. Glad to see one is in the works.

We will def take a few.

Mike <_<

I like the front side.

For the back I would suggest something like the NY License Plates. Try and meld those seperate regions into a collage of sorts. Nix the whole quadrant thing and put the Falls running along on the bottom with liberty's face top right facing right. Put the finger lakes and Pine trees with maybe even a couple of Adirondak peaks behind in the upper left.

I know that someone took some time to put it together so I don't want to step all over what you currently have. Glad to see one is in the works.

We will def take a few.

Mike :P

This is kind of what I meant.

I just grabbed photos off of Google and collaged them together.

The minter should be able to turn whatever layout you decide on into a nice 3-D sculpted looking coin like the geowoodstock coins.

NY-Geocoin-Idea.jpg

I like the front side.

We will def take a few.

This is kind of what I meant.

I just grabbed photos off of Google and collaged them together.

The minter should be able to turn whatever layout you decide on into a nice 3-D sculpted looking coin like the geowoodstock coins.

NY-Geocoin-Idea.jpg

That there would look amazing!!

Either design or way, I will take 4. Thanks!

Quoting myself from the NYGO forums... I just realized that it was never mentioned that the second side will not really look anything like what's posted. All the images are going to be engraved (no color, nothing like a photo) with a lot of detail. If you've seen a Geowoodstock 3 coin it'll be like that.

The trees are also going to look realistic on the actual coin. That's just a design for the mint to go by when they make die art.

The icon: dd4086c1-8ecb-4f90-b454-8b3577e004e9.jpg

Edited by Vargseld? ™
Please bill this coin as the NYGO coin - as it obviously represents NYGO and NOT all of NYS.

It was decided unanimously at the 2005 NYGO picnic's meeting that since NYGO is funding the coin it should have the NYGO logo in place of the plain NY outline. That event and meeting was open to everyone. I don't think that needs to be discussed any further.

Please bill this coin as the NYGO coin - as it obviously represents NYGO and NOT all of NYS.

It was decided unanimously at the 2005 NYGO picnic's meeting that since NYGO is funding the coin it should have the NYGO logo in place of the plain NY outline.

Exactly.

Never said it wasn't nice or that I wouldn't get one. Just that it is a NYGO coin.

NYGO is a predominantly upstate organization and represents those cachers. Not that they didn't offer others to come under their banner or denied them membership.

The design looks great. May I suggest that instead of the Finger Lakes, which are fairly close to Niagara Falls, you put in either the Fire Island Lighthouse or Montauk Point Lighthouse. I think this would truly encompass the entire state. The finger lakes IMO, is not a very well know "landmark" for NYS whereas, The Statue of Liberty, Niagara Fall and the Montauk Point LH are.

Great job and I definitely be in for a few.

Edited by JMBella

nice coin...

my only suggestion would be changing the Finger Lakes section with The Woods section. As it is now the sky in the upper right is green and the lower right is orange land.

By swithching sections your land would now be green and the sky portion would be a nice orange sunset/sunrise.

NYGO is a predominantly upstate organization and represents those cachers. Not that they didn't offer others to come under their banner or denied them membership.

What would you consider an inclusive N.Y. organization? Do you know of a better one? I'm just wondering because I noticed your not a member but I do see several NYGO members who are from the Metro/ L.I. area. I'm sure NYGO would love to have you as a member and your input.

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas so far. The back is going to be modified soon, based on many of them.

Also, to everyone who's been placing pre orders... This thread was only to get some input on what everyone thinks of the design. There will be a thread to makes orders when we're ready, so you'll all just have to put them in again.

NYGO is a predominantly upstate organization and represents those cachers.  Not that they didn't offer others to come under their banner or denied them membership.

What would you consider an inclusive N.Y. organization? Do you know of a better one? I'm just wondering because I noticed your not a member but I do see several NYGO members who are from the Metro/ L.I. area. I'm sure NYGO would love to have you as a member and your input.

That's correct, I am not a member. I am a LIGO member. And if I am correct, there are at least 4 caching organizations (possibly 5 or more) in the state. I just don't think it should be called a NY geocoin when it is an organization that is prominently displayed on the coin.

Here's the updated design, based on comments and suggestion from many of you. I think this one looks much better. Again, keep in mind that the images on the backside will be detailed 3D engravings.

05ef3745-052a-45f8-b267-73f5bc03bcdb.jpg

Depicted is the Statue of Liberty with her GPS, the Adirondacks, Montauk Point Lighthouse, Niagara Falls and a small hint of the Finger Lakes, just for the New Yorkers. :D

Thanks for all the input so far.

I don't like the lighthouse and this coming from a guy who collects lighthouse items. The only State that comes to mind when I see a lighthouse is Maine. I highly doubt most people outside of NY associate our state with lighthouses, even though we have plenty. Many people don't know this, but collectors of lighthouse memorabilia consider the Statue of Liberty a lighthouse. Granted it's hard to come up with 4 things to represent such a diverse state, but I liked the Finger Lakes on the coin. It's a huge part of the state. Almost every non New Yorker I've met knows about the Finger Lakes, because of the wine industry. So, my vote is put back the Finger Lakes.

I think the lighthouse looks great and it is a much appreciated gesture on the organization's part to be inclusive of all New Yorkers.

The lighthouse is a significant NY landmark and has a tremendous amount of history. The original finger lakes on the coin look like the SoL fell and her crown scraped that part of the coin.

The original Finger Lakes on the coin look like the SoL fell and her crown scraped that part of the coin.

I couldn't agree more. The lakes looked like crap and seemed out of place the way the were on there (I can say that because I designed it). It would be very hard to make them blend with the other 3, since they're basically line art. And this is coming from someone who loves the Finger Lakes more than anywhere else. :D

I don't like the lighthouse and this coming from a guy who collects lighthouse items. The only State that comes to mind when I see a lighthouse is Maine. I highly doubt most people outside of NY associate our state with lighthouses, even though we have plenty. Many people don't know this, but collectors of lighthouse memorabilia consider the Statue of Liberty a lighthouse. Granted it's hard to come up with 4 things to represent such a diverse state, but I liked the Finger Lakes on the coin. It's a huge part of the state. Almost every non New Yorker I've met knows about the Finger Lakes, because of the wine industry. So, my vote is put back the Finger Lakes.

It really depends on what region you're from. I know plenty of people FROM NY that have no idea what the Finger Lakes are, yet, I've never met someone who didn't know about the Montauk Point LH.

Thanks Vargseld, the new design looks great.

It really depends on what region you're from.  I know plenty of people FROM NYC that have no idea what the Finger Lakes are, yet, I've never met someone who didn't know about the Montauk Point LH.

I'm from NY, lived there for the first 21 years of my life and still spend a good portion of it at my parents place. I've heard of the Finger Lakes and never heard of the Montauk Point LH and I spent at least one summer out there.

Now you can say you've met both! :mad:

Edited by odragon