What's The Point?

Snoogans

Sooooo, I'm not usually a whistle blower, but I'm trying to figure out Tangelina. (LOOK at her stats.) She popped up on my radar all of a sudden yesterday. Ummm, in several places at once. :P

Can you figure out the motivation.....? Maybe it's a real (new) user that doesn't get what the game is all about... :P

Hmmmm, cute though..... :lol:

6ce49275-979b-4975-806e-91f7e77178d1.jpg

Maybe it's a regular user who wants to see how long this activity will go on without notice. :P

Edited by Snoogans
I went through her profile and none of those TB's are in her posession.

She seems to be one of those people who only log notes on caches they find with the exception of the 1.

Uh, OK, but 70+ tbs and 1 cache in 15 days? The notes are mostly to drop a tb.

It is not just her, there are several people participating in virtually logging TBs and coins. It may be coins like this one that are giving th wrong impression of the purpose of TBs. Several of 9Key's coins virtually travel also, so if she enjoys virtually logging these types of things and she can get her hands on other TB numbers it looks like she will continue. :P:P:P

I don't understand the enjoyment of logging something I have never seen in a cache I have never visited???

How is that fun???

I don't understand the enjoyment of logging something I have never seen in a cache I have never visited???

How is that fun???

Ive seen this happen a few times with geocoins. There were a couple of them dropped "virtually" into an Event cache we attended not too long ago. The coin owner gave out the numbers and invited everyone to log them. There were a bunch that logged those coins without ever even seeing them. Thats too weird for me.

On topic, it sounds like Tangelina is doing the same maybe. She's not hurting a thing but i still dont get why!

Considering her one cache find is in the middle of Nowhere, New Mexico (ok, near Raton along the Colorado border), and she logged it like this:

August 11 by tangelina (1 found)

I didn't expect the cache to be so close to the road. Took nothing and left nothing. Thanks for the cache!  Cache is close to home.

I just might have to drive a couple hours south and go visit her :P

Man, some people need to get a hobby. I know of a good one I could suggest.....

Funny story about "getting a hobby" - as I seeking an Urban micro, I ran across a very mean muggle woman (more like an evil siren, trying to get me off course) who asked me "Why do I keep seeing people looking around over there?" I told her that we were playing a "scavenger hunt" game and that sometimes there was something hidden over here as part of the game...ok, it was a little white lie...

Anyway, she said to me, "I don't mean to be rude or anything," - and when someone says that, what they're really saying is, "You're not going to like what I'm about to say, but," - and she continued - "You're a grown man - why are you wasting your time with stupid games?"

I said, "Well, different people do different things for hobbies, and this is mine."

To which she retorted, in the most heinous voice, "Yeah, well, maybe you outta get a different hobby."

That was my only DNF to date. I was so mad and I knew she was watching me. So I just bolted before I said something that I'd have to confess! :P

Yep, I think this is one of Mitsuko's long lost sisters.

I clicked on many of the TBugs and they all have numbers showing. Look at the ones with zero miles for example. I would bet septic_tank's hat that it is just a sock puppet account taking advantage of a flaw in the way some folks present (i.e. photograph) their travel bugs.

Some people have too much time on their hands I guess.

The caches the TBug are being logged out and back into are around the world. Some of them are being logged out as the cache is placed and back in the same day. Look at the ones on the list that have zero miles.

They are looking at the photo gallery and when they see one they can log they are logging it. Some people have too much time on their hands.

I bet it takes ALOT less time to log a TB in and out of a cache than it does to research someone who you dont know, try to track them down, and THEN complain about them.

Why worry about it? Is it actually influencing stats negatively? Is it ruining the *GAME* for you?

I bet it takes ALOT less time to log a TB in and out of a cache than it does to research someone who you dont know, try to track them down, and THEN complain about them.

Why worry about it? Is it actually influencing stats negatively? Is it ruining the *GAME* for you?

No, it's not ruining the game. It's interesting.

Not to hijack this thread but on topic. What is the deal with MTNBike coin 60? Has this coin ever been in circulation or has it been traveling virtually? I went through the coin's history and it just left me confused and thinking it had been stolen with all the back posting and back creating of GC accounts well after the coin was supposedly physically found in a cache? Anyone care to help me out with my confusion regarding this coin?

Edited by Langly
Hmmmm, cute though..... :P

Kind of looks like one those girls you see on Yahoo! Personals advertisements.

I must be looking at the wrong Yahoo personals!!!!

:blink:

I don't look at the personals. I was referring to the ads Yahoo! has trying to get me to stray from my wife.

Let me tell you, Yahoo personals doesn't work.

While I was in the middle of my divorce, I signed up there a couple of years ago. The intention was to date gorgeous girls and have fun. But instead I met a gorgeous woman and am already married again. So I had to give up that membership rather quick. </irony>

Jan

...Let me tell you, Yahoo personals doesn't work.

While I was in the middle of my divorce, I signed up there a couple of years ago. The intention was to date gorgeous girls and have fun. But instead I met a gorgeous woman and am already married again. So I had to give up that membership rather quick. </irony>

Jan

Dammit, I hate when a perfectly good plan is ruined.

It is not just her, there are several people participating in virtually logging TBs and coins. It may be coins like this one that are giving the wrong impression of the purpose of TBs.

I looked at the log that this person did for the coin. Retrieved and placed into a cache. When the note was posted into the cache this is what was said:

August 15 by tangelina (1 found)

retrieving and returning the virtual travel bug

That kindda proves the point doesn't it? :D

Edited by Super_Nate
Ive seen this happen a few times with geocoins. There were a couple of them dropped "virtually" into an Event cache we attended not too long ago. The coin owner gave out the numbers and invited everyone to log them. There were a bunch that logged those coins without ever even seeing them. Thats too weird for me.

The virtual find of travel bugs at event caches is quite common out here. At every event we have a collection of 15-20 bugs and whoever touches them writes down the number. They log it out of and back into the event cache. I call it travel bug fondling. And the people who fondle them...well, I suppose there are worse perversions. :D

Having only recently been exposed to it, I pretty quickly decided it wasn't my cup o' tea.

Margo

<snip>  Some people have too much time on their hands. <snip>

I think the amount of time spent investigating this person, and posting to this topic

Prooves Your Point.

Actually, the two do not relate in the least.

With my T1 connection speed it took about 2 minutes to look at 10 to 15 TBugs. My bet is that the "tangelina" user spent much more than 2 minutes looking at TBugs and geocoins.

The investigation into this person was done by the original poster of the topic. Even with a slightly slower connection, I would not imagine he spent much time looking at TBugs either. In fact, he did not notice the pictures. Since this has cropped up before, in 2 minutes I confirmed my hunch was indeed correct.

I would guess that "tangelina" logged a TBug of his or one that he is watching. The OP is a highly involved, well respected geocacher and it appears he was wanting opinions from other cachers regarding what he saw. I personally don't see a problem with him coming here to ask if his concerns were founded or not.

This person is just looking for attention apparently. If we just ignore them, they'll eventually find that no one cares if they virtually log 10,000 TB's because they are too busy to watch attention getters.

I don't want to offend the OP in any way, but maybe closing this topic would be the best way to not give this cacher attention, and let them fizzle out, they can't sit there forever logging virtual TB's without realizing that they're just wasting alot of time on nothing.

Most of those TB's have the tracking number visible in the picture. She seems to be logging virtual grabs on them. Maybe to prove a point? :D

I noticed that too.. the notes seem to be numbering them, like 'how many can I log from the computer'. Also, the few looked at all went back to whereever they were logged from, so it didn't really matter.

I investigated this one today and it turned out to be a pretty innocent story. The tangelina account was not exactly a sockpuppet but will no longer pick up and drop off travel bugs in the same caches anymore. You'll just have to live with an unexplained incident whose picture was very pretty.