Opticsboy Geocoins 2005

Opticsboy

EDIT - 8-17:

Okay, I will be doing a trackable geocoin (trackable on www.cpticsboy.geocoin.com assuming I can okay this with Marky). Note that I think I will also be doing a chip for use in everyday caching. $0.70 each for a cool one is a lot better than $5.

Looks like the price per coin will be $5.00 plus shipping from me to you. Preliminary art will be posted in the next couple of days.

Does anyone want to pre-order any of these coins? Let me know either by email or by post on this thread.

Opticsboy

ORIGINAL MESSAGE ---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I am planning on making an Opticsboy 2005 Geocoin in the coming weeks, and see that people in this forum are always willing to buy and trade for coins. I thought that I would post in here before pulling the trigger so that I could get your input and interest levels.

I have priced coins from several sources, and have stumbled on the possibility of a custom poker chip as a very viable option for less $$. Have you seen others go this route? I have not yet decided between coin or chip.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there interest in trading for a custom poker chip style geocoin?

2) Preference on chip vs coin?

3) Individual numbering and trackability through Marky's sight?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Edited by Opticsboy

First of all, if you want to produce your own sig item, you should go with what fits most comfortably within your budget and what you enjoy the most.

Folks here are trading all sorts of "geocoins", but as Damenace said, metal is the most desirable trade item. You can almost assuredly trade your metal personal coin for other hard to get personal coins. But that doesn't mean you can't also create and trade poker chips or wooden nickels to cachers with their own signature items. It's really just a matter of considering the costs involved, as people are less likely to trade you a metal coin for a poker chip.

If you do decide to go the route of metal coins, there are plenty of companies to choose from and each has been discussed at some time or another here. I can't find it now, but there's a thread in which people discussed their experiences with the various coin makers.

Good luck with it and keep the forum updated regardless of what you choose to do.

HTH!

Yime

You might want to get in touch with MRCOGEO. He has a trackable plastic token (I guess you could call it a poker chip). He could offer some insight as to how well it trades compared to metal.

Either direction you take, there will be demand for it, so don’t sweat this issue too much. It's all good in my book.

Edited by Rupert2

Okay, I will be doing a trackable geocoin (trackable on www.cpticsboy.geocoin.com assuming I can okay this with Marky). Note that I think I will also be doing a chip for use in everyday caching. $0.70 each for a cool one is a lot better than $5.

Looks like the price per coin will be $5.00 plus shipping from me to you. Preliminary art will be posted in the next couple of days.

Does anyone want to pre-order any of these coins? Let me know either by email or by post on this thread.

Opticsboy

Okay, I will be doing a trackable geocoin (trackable on www.cpticsboy.geocoin.com assuming I can okay this with Marky).  Note that I think I will also be doing a chip for use in everyday caching. $0.70 each for a cool one is a lot better than $5.

Looks like the price per coin will be $5.00 plus shipping from me to you.  Preliminary art will be posted in the next couple of days.

Does anyone want to pre-order any of these coins?  Let me know either by email or by post on this thread.

Opticsboy

I'm interested in buying a coin, or trading a SilverMarc New York for one.

SilverMarc Coin Edition

--Marc

August 18, 2005 @ 8:24 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Okay, I will post this down here as well as in the top of the thread...

(how are you supposed to place new info so that everyone sees it? Do you edit it into the top message, or do you just add a new reply?)

Here is the current art work. Please give me any suggestions that you have!!!

Thanks all for the preorders. It is making it much more realistic for me to order in teh quantities needed. KEEP EM COMING!

coin%20design%202.jpg