Voting And The Popularity Filter

I have to say that when I was beta testing this before it went public, I didn't understand the Popularity Filter. Since very few votes were cast, it really didn't do anything. But now that y'all have been hammering on it, I can see the usefulness.

Check it out! Go to the Restaurants category. It currently contains 2 subcategories, "McDonald's Restaurants" and "Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints."

If you don't see them both, adjust the Popularity Filter (in the lower-right corner) to 100%. You can do that by clicking a little to the right of the red down-arrow.

Now increase the filter (click the green up-arrow) until McDonald's disappears. As of this writing, it disappears for me at 40%.

Now decrease the filter a little so you can see McDonald's. Click on it to open the it.

In the upper-right you'll see this little icon: arrows_small.gif

Click on it and then on the next screen click on the down-arrow.

Now return to the Restaurants category. Play with the Popularity Filter. Did the popularity of McDonald's change?

Right now with only 3 dozen categories, the Filter is barely useful. But later when there are hundreds or thousands of categories, that Filter will be our best friend.

I want to see y'all make it so the McDonald's disappears when the Filter is set to 90% :P:P

I want to see y'all make it so the McDonald's disappears when the Filter is set to 90% :D  :o

Thank you everyone. We did it!

Sorry, Sean. :D

The McDonald's category is down, but not out! I have now edited it to make it much more appealing to the eye. Perhaps those who have voted it down will now re-think, and possibly even change their votes! :D

McDonalds Category

The McDonald's category is down, but not out!  I have now edited it to make it much more appealing to the eye.  Perhaps those who have voted it down will now re-think, and possibly even change their votes!  :D

McDonalds Category

I call shenanigans. Her waistline just doesn't match her favorite category of WayMacs.

Edited by maingray
Perhaps those who have voted it down will now re-think, and possibly even change their votes! :D

I'd vote, but the Upgrade/Downgrade Category page says that you can only vote once per category.

And I'm don't feel strongly enough at the moment to squander my one vote. Probably because I just ate. But maybe later I'll have more of an opinion.

<--- Eats one french fry for every lamp post micro found. Went straight into the hospital for coronary artery blockage removal after visiting Nashville.

cache test dummies: You may be misunderstanding how voting works. EACH individual waymark category, you can have a separate vote on. You can downgrade McDonalds, then go over and upgrade Classic Homemade Barbeque Joints in the same section. Then bop over to another area and do the same. If there are 62 waymark categories or subcategories where you can log stuff, then that's 62 chances to vote.

<-- Sometimes stops for a Quarter Pounder with Cheese after a long day of geocaching. Maybe an apple pie, too.

Ok, I'm still not getting it. Perhaps a bit too much trans-fatty acid in my diet, but I'm seeing conflicting messages here.

We're talking about popularity voting for categories (well, in the case of Restaurants, we're really talking about subcategories of the Restaurants category) like McDonald's Restaurants and Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints, right?

I click into McDonald's Restaurants, where I can choose to Upgrade or Downgrade this category. The Upgrade/Downgrade page says that I only get to vote once per category. I understand that I could go back and cast a different Upgrade/Downgrade vote for Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints, because it's a different category.

But then in this thread, bootron and Jeremy tell me I can change my vote (wouldn't that mean I'm voting more than once in that category)?

So the question is, if I vote to upgrade the McDonald's category today, can I decide that I want to downgrade that tomorrow? :D

All this talk of food is making me very hungry.

So the question is, if I vote to upgrade the McDonald's category today, can I decide that I want to downgrade that tomorrow? :lol:

Yes. If say, for instance, the category isn't being maintained the way you want it to a few months down the line, you can change your vote and downgrade it.