Letterboxing Hybrids

TeamAO

I recently was letterboxing, and thought that in my area, with the lack of uncommon caches such as letterboxes in my area, I was planning on hiding one. I don't know how to get a stamp, but...

My question is, if you give coordinates to a telephone pole somewhere, and then gave instructions for compass bearings and how far to walk along at that bearing and did that the whole way to the geocache, would that be considered a letterbox, even without the stamp?

I recently was letterboxing, and thought that in my area, with the lack of uncommon caches such as letterboxes in my area, I was planning on hiding one. I don't know how to get a stamp, but...

My question is, if you give coordinates to a telephone pole somewhere, and then gave instructions for compass bearings and how far to walk along at that bearing and did that the whole way to the geocache, would that be considered a letterbox, even without the stamp?

I've had the thought to, and was wondering if it needed and or should to be listed over there at that site also.

I recently was letterboxing, and thought that in my area, with the lack of uncommon caches such as letterboxes in my area, I was planning on hiding one.  I don't know how to get a stamp, but...

I think that would be an offset cache. A letterbox hybrid as I understand it, is a letterbox AND a geocache, not a geocache that is LIKE a letterbox.

Edited by briansnat
Most of the time, Letterbox Hybrids are cross listed on both geocaching.com and letterboxing.org. They contain both a logbook for geocachers and a stamp/inkpad for the letterboxers.

But what exactly makes a letterbox a letterbox?

It would need a stamp. If its a just a box with coordinates its a geocache. If there are instructions to get you there from the coords it's an offset.

Put a stamp inside and post it on a letterboxing website, it becomes a letterbox hybrid.

Most of the time, Letterbox Hybrids are cross listed on both geocaching.com and letterboxing.org. They contain both a logbook for geocachers and a stamp/inkpad for the letterboxers.

But what exactly makes a letterbox a letterbox?

It would need a stamp. If its a just a box with coordinates its a geocache. If there are instructions to get you there from the coords it's an offset.

Put a stamp inside and post it on a letterboxing website, it becomes a letterbox hybrid.

Ok, so I do need to post in on the Letterboxing website then?

A stamp.  So says the guidelines; they are pretty clear.

Where do I get a stamp?

Generally they are made by the owner. Making stamps is part of the letterboxing thing. Here is a good primer about making your own stamps. Some letterboxers do buy commercially available stamps but that's considered the letterboxing equivelent of the Walmart parking lot micro.

Ok, so I do need to post in on the Letterboxing website then?

Maybe. Letterboxing is not as centralized as geocaching. Letterbox clues can be found on websites or elsewhere. letterboxing.org is the most popular site in the US, but clues are potentially found anywhere. Check out the LBNA site for more info.

Edited by briansnat

There is no requirement in the guidelines that a letterbox needs to be listed on a letterboxing site in order to be listed as a letterbox hybrid cache on Geocaching.com. That is up to the owner. This site only regulates caches listed here. Like I said, the stamp is the difference.

The other main source of confusion comes from people who use ONLY letterboxing style clues in their cache submissions. The guidelines say that the cache must be findable by reference to latitude and longitude coordinates, not just clues. An offset or puzzle is fine, but there needs to be coordinates in the hunt someplace.

The other main source of confusion comes from people who use ONLY letterboxing style clues in their cache submissions. The guidelines say that the cache must be findable by reference to latitude and longitude coordinates, not just clues. An offset or puzzle is fine, but there needs to be coordinates in the hunt someplace.

yep, that's true :P

but there are some ways to make the coordinates route seem less attractive.

letterbox hybrid

In the end, it is a good type to have around. It makes it a bit more interesting. I will point out that I am still waiting for an email from a letterboxer stating a find. It may have been logged, may not have. Won't know till I check on it.

Joe Smith