Stats...

Will the Waymarking.com stats ever go on the gc.com stats page (or some 'uber-stats' page)?

It would be nice if it did...

Ditto that! I don't know if we'll ever get around to doing a whole lot of waymarkingish stuff (I expect we'll do some, just not scads), so it would be far more interesting to us to have our waymark stats listed on our geocaching profile, as a separate category. One that doesn't count toward number of cache finds, I would imagine.

I do some profile-surfing now and then, looking for caches that people I know have been to, just out of curiosity and to look for the more interesting ones. Having the waymark stats linked through the GC profiles seems like it might generate a little bit more interest across the geocaching spectra. (Hey, what's that? An icon I don't have yet? MUST FIX THAT! Heheh.)

Will the Waymarking.com stats ever go on the gc.com stats page (or some 'uber-stats' page)?

It would be nice if it did...

Yeh, discussion was started here, but this is a probably a better place for it, in its own thread.

I think that including your waypointing.com visit / "hide" score on your geocaching user stats page somewhere (and probably vice versa) would be very good. These numbers shouldn't be included in your total (*) score, but treated like benchmarks / TG counts. This may add to the motivation for people to log finds and I like the idea of a one-stop page for numbers. Even though we all know it ISN'T about the numbers :P .

Will the Waymarking.com stats ever go on the gc.com stats page

I hope NOT

My feeling is that given that these are meant to be a replacement for virtuals and Locationlesses, and that those go on your stats page now, in order to keep with the Status-Quo, I think they should be there.

That being said, if someone wants to go eat at every McDonalds from here to Timbuktu, and log it as a visit, I really don't care over much. I've waymarked a number of McDonalds, for the simple reason that I had the Lat-Lons handy, and I see it as kind of a growing database that could eventually be very useful.

That being said, the only time I'll 'log a visit' to the kind of waymark I mentioned is when for whatever reason I'm at the site anyways, i.e. I tried to add the new entry, but ooops someone already did between my last database update, and going online.

I see the main attraction of things like the McDonalds entry as simply that, a database, 'visiting them' is really kind of silly. But heck if someone wants to 'bump' their stats by visiting McDonalds well you play your game I'll play mine.

I'll confine my visits to hard to find locations.

We will be adding stats and possibly things like the stats image banner. I wouldn't outright say no - that Waymarking stats won't show up on geocaching.com, but I will say it is pretty low on the todo list. If it does end up on geocaching.com I would expect it to be another tab, or a link to the profile on Waymarking.com where it shows your stats.

Waymarking, unlike geocaching, can be about the numbers. Sean is very big on stats and is excited to work on that part of the site.

I think you could bring more people in if you did add a tab to the geocaching.com stats. My wife for one has a handicap (knees that make for difficult walking/hiking) that makes doing any cache over a 2/2 impossible. Virtuals and locationless are better for her for the most part....how many handicapped people would join if they could add their stats up in one place?

Can I spitball outside the box? How about not worrying about totals and just post all of the statistics? Remove the "found" from Geocaching logs and replace it with a direct link to the posters statistics page. On that page list every category of find and hide grouped by site (GC, WM and BM). Then either remove all the totals entirely or subtotal everything on each site. Get Groundspeak out of the decision process of what to include and what not to include. Total all or nothing but provide all of the statistics so anyone can see exactly where the numbers come from.

And as long as I'm ruffling feathers, get rid of the code that eliminates zero's from the statistics page. Fix the format and put zeros where there are no matches. I would imagine there are lots of newbies who don't know what a Project APE Cache is? If it was a zero on your statistics page it would be another challenge to conquer. HEY! Another game! Filling in all the numbers!