What Makes A Spectacular Cache?

bonnjer

While out searching for three caches today, I was wondering....."What makes a really great cache?" I know everybody is going to have a different answer, but are there some core characteristics to build around?

I know that I really enjoy a good multicache as well as a cache that is hidden just enough to make me say, "Man, I should have saw that the first time I looked there."

So, what makes it good for you?

Speaking as someone who takes great pride in their hides, it can be the most simple thing in the world and it's not any ONE thing either...... Every cache is different.

As long a some of the finders have an "Oh Yea!" moment, the cache WILL be spectacular. It will be watched and talked about at events. :P

Well, I'll disagree a bit with Snoogans...not all caches are different (unless he was just refering to his own, then I have no opinion, as I've never found one of his :P )

Some caches I've found a few times, just in a different parking lot or such.

To me, a good cache is one that is unique in one way or another, and a spectacular cache is on that is truely one of a kind.

Edited by VegasCacheHounds

What makes a good cache? For me, as long as the cache is not in a place that is highly dirty (like one I have done). However, the cache contents are very important, IMO. I hate it when I put a day's energy into something and get to the cache to find a Tupperware with stupid items inside (restaurant menus, gold balls, pennies, and a wet log) it just bores me. Not that I care about having the stuff inside, but it is like finding a buried treasure to open and find nothing in the treasure box.

Also creative cache containers, hiding methods, and hiding spots make for a good cache as well.

Speaking as someone who takes great pride in their hides, it can be the most simple thing in the world and it's not any ONE thing either...... Every cache is different.

As long a some of the finders have an "Oh Yea!" moment, the cache WILL be spectacular. It will be watched and talked about at events. :P

Exactly!

This is what I would call a spectacular cache. I won't say exactly why, because that would spoil it for everyone, but let's just say that the stages in it are quite challenging and amusing. Some people are just so very clever. :P

Besides the great stages, the cache is in one of the few virgin forests around, and right here in NJ! It was a spectacular day in a spectacular reservation, and at the end? You guessed it: A spectacular cache. It was literally FULL of Jeeps. There were 2 whites, one yellow, and a toy, non-TB type Jeep. I thought my eyes would pop out. It's all downhill from here, that was the acme, IMO. Thanks to 4Wheelin_Fool for such a great adventure. And about those thorns and that mud? He ain't kiddin'! :P

-- Location in an interesting, unique, family-friendly and/or pet-friendly spot that I might never have visited if I wasn't trying to find this cache.

-- Creative hide (Ivan Tofindit has some great fun ones), or on a multi, a really creative way to get the stages out there (e.g., "Just Kidding" in Wayland, Mich.)

Hmm. Sum it up with 'the wow factor." Something that makes me say, "Wow! I am really glad I drove/walked/rode my bike out of the way just to see/hear/feel/experience this!"

My family & I hid one while I was up visiting them in Michigan. I had brought along a container all prepared for a hide, and so they were eager to stuff it somewhere for me. I told them no, we were not just looking for a place to put a container, but "The Place" where the container would be happy to live. We drove around the area and found several places where one could hide any old cache. But it was never "right." I'm sure they were getting frustrated with how picky I was being, but when we finally found "The Place," we ALL knew it was exactly what we had been looking for. And now they are as excited about being guardians for it, as I was to place it.

Edited by Smukke
When I'm traveling, I really like urban micros that will show me around a new city. They can show me things that I wouldn't get from just wandering about or following a guide book.

Lampposts, street signs, fences, trash cans........

Oh - you mean - statues, historical markers, parks.......

<_<

I hate it when I put a day's energy into something and get to the cache to find a Tupperware with stupid items inside (restaurant menus, gold balls, pennies, and a wet log) it just bores me.  Said TeamHawaii1981

I knew it! Stuck here in 3rd world Africa we will NEVER find Gold Balls here! :P

People think its clever to leave Golf Balls though! :P

IMO, the ones that bring me to a halt and make me ponder. These are usually ones found in historical settings that open up the humanity of the past to musings for me.

Recently found a virtual one in VA at Jefferson Davis' gravesite & visited the cemetery around it. It seemed that, at his time, monuments made like obelisks were popular (Wash. monument), they were all over. The history of the nation was there carved in granite & marble just like in the old Magnolia Cemetery in Chas. SC.

Other than these, ones that create einigma and are amusing like the one being addressed in the forums just now . . . Holy Wastewater.