Most Disgusting Cache?

Thrak

WOW! I have done this cache. Went with a buddy (rldill) who actually went under the water to retrieve the cache - good thing he was with me, WHEW!

Some caches ARE a challenge and are not for the weak or meek . . . you simply MUST try this one! You will be happy to have it behind you on your list of caches. ;)

Wondering what the most disgusting cache you have found is. I haven't found this one but it is certainly the most disgusting one I've heard of. I saw this referenced in another topic and when I looked at it I couldn't believe anybody would plant this let alone that people would retrieve it.

Waypoint GCKTF2

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...F2&Submit6=Find

Let's not make a "grossest" cache list, because people are just going to find raw sewage to hide caches in it, just so they can log on here and say, check out THIS cache.

Yea it is a nasty cache. I know the owner personally and he got a terrible infection as a result of his placing the cache in this cesspool. The smell is bad and the water color is more like bubbly brown soup. Everyone should avoid this cache because it has to be the nastiest cache in the world. Heed all the warnings and take all the pecautions. I went there recently with a young woman and she hasn't been right since. She had a snorkel but it was useless because the stuff was too dark.

Please, please don't go to this cache. Just read the logs of all those other poor souls that have been and have gotten disgusted.

If this cache is really the health hazard it seems to be, shouldn't it be archived

Rock climbing isn't the safest activity either, but should all caches on cliffs be archived too? :P

No, but there's a difference between something like rock climbing (it's dangerous, but you're in control of the situation and it's not too risky as long as you know what you're doing) and, say, wading through toxic waste which could cause sickness or cancer.

How can polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) affect my health?

The most commonly observed health effects in people exposed to large amounts of PCBs are skin conditions such as acne and rashes. Studies in exposed workers have shown changes in blood and urine that may indicate liver damage. PCB exposures in the general population are not likely to result in skin and liver effects. Most of the studies of health effects of PCBs in the general population examined children of mothers who were exposed to PCBs.

Animals that ate food containing large amounts of PCBs for short periods of time had mild liver damage and some died. Animals that ate smaller amounts of PCBs in food over several weeks or months developed various kinds of health effects, including anemia; acne-like skin conditions; and liver, stomach, and thyroid gland injuries. Other effects of PCBs in animals include changes in the immune system, behavioral alterations, and impaired reproduction. PCBs are not known to cause birth defects.

How likely are polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) to cause cancer?

Few studies of workers indicate that PCBs were associated with certain kinds of cancer in humans, such as cancer of the liver and biliary tract. Rats that ate food containing high levels of PCBs for two years developed liver cancer. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has concluded that PCBs may reasonably be anticipated to be carcinogens. The EPA and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have determined that PCBs are probably carcinogenic to humans.

I'm not necessarily saying the cache should be archived... I mean, if people are stupid enough to do it, whatever, that's their choice. But I do think that there is a pretty big difference between caches like this and cache that require you to scale cliffs or whatever else.

Any cache that has paragraphs in each log entry has got to be good.

Or a hoax????

Someone can Markwell me but there was a discussion a couple of years ago about a 5/5 cache that was actually very easy. The cache had a note that described the logging requirement which required you to write at least a 300 word log describing how hard and terrifying the hunt was.

Yea it is a nasty cache. I know the owner personally and he got a terrible infection as a result of his placing the cache in this cesspool. The smell is bad and the water color is more like bubbly brown soup. Everyone should avoid this cache because it has to be the nastiest cache in the world. Heed all the warnings and take all the pecautions. I went there recently with a young woman and she hasn't been right since. She had a snorkel but it was useless because the stuff was too dark.

Please, please don't go to this cache. Just read the logs of all those other poor souls that have been and have gotten disgusted.

Reading the cache description made me want to do it but after reading this quote I guess not. I invisioned a wonderful mountain stream but the efluent from a treatment plant I'll pass. Some times people just well are silly in placing caches. It also seems to show little respect for fellow caches if the owner got an infection placing the cache. Yes I care for you all and hope to not endanger you, to much LOL..

cheers

Looking at it from a few thousand miles away, it looks a bit like a hoax - the "Please follow the online logging instructions inside the cache" makes me think that Runaround might be right.

Also, there don't seem to be any DNFs by people who have seen all the sewage floating past and said "Not for me"

I think it might be a light-hearted trick to make people think it's more horrid than it actually is.

If this cache is really the health hazard it seems to be, shouldn't it be archived

Rock climbing isn't the safest activity either, but should all caches on cliffs be archived too? :P

No, but there's a difference between something like rock climbing (it's dangerous, but you're in control of the situation and it's not too risky as long as you know what you're doing) and, say, wading through toxic waste which could cause sickness or cancer.

<Snipped article on PCB's>

I'm not necessarily saying the cache should be archived... I mean, if people are stupid enough to do it, whatever, that's their choice. But I do think that there is a pretty big difference between caches like this and cache that require you to scale cliffs or whatever else.

Wait, with rock climbing you choose to put yourself in danger and with this cache don't you also choose to search for it or not? :P

Any cache that has paragraphs in each log entry has got to be good.

Or a hoax????

Someone can Markwell me but there was a discussion a couple of years ago about a 5/5 cache that was actually very easy. The cache had a note that described the logging requirement which required you to write at least a 300 word log describing how hard and terrifying the hunt was.

Whats next? A cache near a nuclear power plant, and to clame a find you have post a picture of yourself with an extra limb photoshoped on. If that sewage treatment plant was releasing anything harmful into that lake the EPA would have something to say about it.

This cache seems like a huge load of crap (not even real crap).

How could there be no DNF's on a cache that hard. And there's no way all that sewage would be running right into a lake. And I've seen some absoultly great and exciting caches that still had logs : "TNLN thanks for the cache" and thats it. How come every log is obcenely long and everyone has an extreme story? If I lived there I would check it out and if it is real I would post DNF and if not then another cache to find.

This cache seems like a huge load of crap (not even real crap).

How could there be no DNF's on a cache that hard. And there's no way all that sewage would be running right into a lake. And I've seen some absoultly great and exciting caches that still had logs : "TNLN thanks for the cache" and thats it. How come every log is obcenely long and everyone has an extreme story? If I lived there I would check it out and if it is real I would post DNF and if not then another cache to find.

Lighten up, Francis. <_<<_<

Lovelace's article made me drop my jaw over this cache. We need some new icons to describe the dangers of this cache.

I don't have time to go on a icon spree, but several ideas come to mind:

Biohazard

Animal Waste

Corosive Materials

Dangerous Substances

Deep Water

Carcinogens

Ground Mercury (on the bed of most Louisiana stream beds)

If that sewage treatment plant was releasing anything harmful into that lake the EPA would have something to say about it.

You mean like the cleanup they're just about to do?

Wow! Thats a disturbing news story. Makes me wonder what all I really came into contact while finding the cache. <_<

Good thing you are in the medical field. How hard is it to take care of those open sores yourself?

This cache is dangerous. The EPA has issued citations and warnings to the nearby Cary Wastewater Treatment Plant. The nearby lake has PCBs. I cannot think of a more hazardous location for a cache. That kid's picture looks good compared to the stories heard from other cachers who attempted the cache.

The owner should be banished form geocaching. He obviously has no regard for mankind.

Good thing you are in the medical field.  How hard is it to take care of those open sores yourself?

It's not easy, I'm sure you noticed last Saturday that I still have one lingering sore on my right arm, and being right handed it's a little difficult to clean.

Wait, with rock climbing you choose to put yourself in danger and with this cache don't you also choose to search for it or not? <_<

Obviously it's your decision as to whether or not you're willing to take the risk to find the cache... I was merely pointing out the differences between the two situations. There are different types of danger. There are things that are statistically dangerous but not overly dangerous to those who know what they're doing, and then there are things that are dangerous no matter what. Eh, I'm having trouble articulating my thoughts...

Let's say I put a cache in between the rails on a Skytrain track. Is that more dangerous than a cache on the side of a cliff? Maybe, maybe not... Is it a suitable cache location simply because I'm not FORCING people to go there? (And keep in mind that while I'm not forcing to go there, I'm most certainly encouraging them.)

I have to admit that I've sort of lost track of the point I had since I found out that this cache is a hoax

Edited by Tidalflame

Almost everyone has seen people FISHING!!!! Why would a biohazard waste and sewage dump be such a popular fishing place. I'm not sure I believe everything, but it sure as heck was an entertaining piece of reading. I laughed my head off. TFTL (Thanks for the Logs)!!

Edited by kentuckygirls