I Just Don't Get It

I have been reading thru the posts and looking at the site and I am sorry, but I just don't get it.

Places

Restaurants (25), Bars (11), Internet (9), Buildings (8), Hunting/Gathering (4), Disaster Sites (3), Entertainment (2), Fishing (1), Strange/Weird (1), Camping/Hiking (0), Cultural Places (0), Educational (0) new, Historic Places (0), Lodging (0), Military (0), Natural Places (0), Pet-Friendly Places (0), Ruins (0), Stores/Retail (0)

If you look in the restaurants catagory, you can find out where McDonalds restaurants are located. IF I wanted to know that, I can google that information.

What exactly are we doing here?? Building a database so that mapquest or yahoo maps can benefit? Is Groundspeak going to sell rights to the database to mapquest so that they can better locate restaurants by lat/long's then street intersections?? Not trying to sound negative, but a database of this sort just does not make sense to me.

Can someone explain what it is that I am missing, as I am having a hard time understanding this new concept. Thanks in advanced...

Baptist Deacon

;)

Edited by Baptist Deacon

Ok, now I get it. After even more reading, I see where I was making my mistake. I was reading all this with my Geocaching mindset and was trying to apply the geocaching.com mentality to it. Once you figure out that Geocaching and Waymarking are as related as BaseBall and Sidewalk Chalk Drawing, then you can truly understand the uniqueness of Waymarking and you start understanding what it is all about. I am looking forward to seeing how this will progres.

Baptist Deacon

I think the "Is this CitySearch?" kind of question will come up. The quick answer is no and yes. CitySearch lists the locations and you can rate it. Here it is more of a social directory of things that don't necessarily have an address, though some do. Some are obscure and some aren't even categorized in any other form. It will be fun to determine what this whole Waymarking thing is about. HTH.