Explorist Bug List (updated)

D0T-C0M

Well I've got the firmware loaded now which takes care of some of my earlier complaints. The new firmware appeared at Magellan's site today

Feature Request I just thought of:

- They need to add "save and goto" to the mark screen. The other geocachers are usually 50 feet down the trail by the time I mark, save, goto, yes cancel the goto, point-to-point, my poi's, (up one level / filename sometimes), waypoint, ok. The eTrex does this real well.

Still complaining:

- They have not fixed the POI Sorting when searching via Alpha.

I'll add to this after I've taken it out a few times and got a feel for the new firmware. Glad to see the projections are there and that you can format an SD card in the unit now.

I wonder what these "GPS Improvements" (#11) are going to be like. I'm taking this unit snow-shoeing in some of Ontario's thicker forested areas next week so that'll be interesting....

Edited by northernpenguin

FIXED-- Personally one major bug that has been really bugging me was the icon and geocache text that couldnt be deactivated. Now you can.

Geocache "found" button added is a step forward but we need to have a button called "not found" and a place to add a notes to each geocache which is crucial to go completely paperless when geocaching. Also the geocache hints are still being cut off, must have a longer field so they dont get cut off.

Compass is reported being off by as much as 90 degrees in some cases after flashing to new firmware. Below is a procedure to fix this.

- Go to hidden menu selection

- select menu 22 (clear sensor calibration)

- Answer Yes (even if it says its a bad idea)

- restart the unit

- go to compass calibration

- you now have to do the advanced calibration, it takes longer and you have

to do many things with your unit, eg. set it to nearly every axis and let it

collect data.

- at last the normal calibration comes up

- now the world is fine again ;-)

Edited by D0T-C0M
FIXED-- Personally one major bug that has been really bugging me was the icon and geocache text that couldnt be deactivated. Now you can.

Geocache "found" button added is a step forward but we need to have a button called "not found" and a place to add a notes to each geocache which is crucial to go completely paperless when geocaching. Also the geocache hints are still being cut off, must have a longer field so they dont get cut off.

Compass is reported being off by as much as 90 degrees in some cases after flashing to new firmware. Below is a procedure to fix this.

- Go to hidden menu selection

- select menu 22 (clear sensor calibration)

- Answer Yes (even if it says its a bad idea)

- restart the unit

- go to compass calibration

- you now have to do the advanced calibration, it takes longer and you have

to do many things with your unit, eg. set it to nearly every axis and let it

collect data.

- at last the normal calibration comes up

- now the world is fine again ;-)

I had this problem with my compass... would not calibrate and was about 180 off. Also the Temperature was reading over 500 and the Barometer about 45.5.

The above procedure fixed all three problems for me.

oops forgot to thanks DOT-COM!

Edited by sailormike62
Freeday, well its a step forward and we must be glad that they are at releasing some fixes. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come!

I may be in the minority, but I'm very happy with the new firmware. The "reroute, convert to point-to-point" is great. I really hated the multi-step process when the "stop sign" appeared.

The other fixes are a great step too. They all seem to work as advertized.

Someone on another thread suggested he was tired of Magellan bashing - and I tend to agree with him. In the spirit of Christmas and good will, I suggest this thread title be changed from "Magellan bug list" to "Magellan bug & enhancement list" or perhaps even "Magellan enhancement list." (Fixing a bug is actaully an enhancement - sort of. :o )

I do have one item to add to the request list too. I'd like to see different powersaving option for the units when on external power vs battery power. (Including backlight, beepers, electronic compass (e600), etc.)

Photom

First off, Some people are more direct and personal with their comments but this thread was not started to bash Magellan but rather it is a thread that I started in order to try to organize the issues users are having with the Explorist in one thread.

You are right in saying that the latest firmware seems to be much better, but while it is a definate step forward and we thank Magellan for spending the ressources to develop it but there's still more that can be done, I believe that majority would agree. I believe it is constructive to have such a thread so that magellan employees can refer to one or two threads to see what the issues we are having or features we would like tweaked or added. One thing is for certain, some of the added features you speak of come directly from the input and feedback users have posted here, so nobody can deny that this thread hasn't got Magellan's eye. I have personal emails that can vouch to this.

Secondly, Even if I wanted to change the topic its too late because after I believe 24 hours, I cannot edit my posts.

This thread will be closed soon as I get some time to start another buglist for the new firmware but keep your request in mind for the next buglist thread.

Edited by D0T-C0M
Photom

First off, Some people are more direct and personal with their comments but this thread was not started to bash Magellan but rather it is a thread that I started in order to try to organize the issues users are having with the Explorist in one thread. 

You are right in saying that the latest firmware seems to be much better, but while it is a definate step forward and we thank Magellan for spending the ressources to develop it but there's still more that can be done, I believe that majority would agree. I believe it is constructive to have such a thread so that magellan employees can refer to one or two threads to see what the issues we are having or features we would like tweaked or added. One thing is for certain, some of the added features you speak of come directly from the input and feedback users have posted here, so nobody can deny that this thread hasn't got Magellan's eye. I have personal emails that can vouch to this.

Secondly, Even if I wanted to change the topic its too late because after I believe 24 hours, I cannot edit my posts.

This thread will be closed soon as I get some time to start another buglist for the new firmware but keep your request in mind for the next buglist thread.

Dot-Com,

Yes - I understand your intent and RESULTS. Actually, although I have not posted to the thread, I am a habitual lurker. I would only hope the Magellan folks check in as often as I do. It is definitely a great idea, a great tool, and a superb learning platform as well. (Every now and then I say, "Oh, I didn't know that!)

I did not mean to say that this list was Magellan bashing either, although I do feel that other threads and some posts here are less than constructive. I don't see the same thing with Garmin users. It's ironic, but my "main" geocaching buddy uses Garmins and we often compare features and performance. The Magellans are way ahead in some areas (his Garmins are always dropping satellite coverage in the car, and his autoroutes are sometimes "very creative" , for example.) For the most part though, the units all perform well and are pretty similar in results. They just have a "different way to skin the cat." (I have used Sportrak Color, Explorist 600 and Explorist XL. He has an older Garmin I don't remember and a 60C.)

I think my biggest complaint with Magellan is the total ineptness when you call for support, if you can ever wait long enough to even get an answer. It appears to me that the folks I've talked to have never even USED the product. I've only "connected" three times, and sent them email (that was answered) 3 or 4 times. In EVERY case, there was much more help available here on the forums.

My degree and profession is in the software business, and I have worked for companies with varying positions on what to tell the user community. Some say, "Never promise or even tell them anything - they will be angry if/when we are late."

Others tell the users exactly what they want to hear but never deliver. But, the best ones work with users to help develop and prioritize user requests. Hopefuly, Magellan is headed in that direction due to your hard work and tenacity.

I, and I am sure MANY others, thank you for that!

I will indeed keep the multiple powersave options in mind and will post it to your newer "enhancement" list.

Thanks again and the best to you and yours durng the New Year. And - the same to others on the forum.

-Tom-

With regard to the "gps improvements" #11 i found that not only the pickup of sat's was quicker but the accuracy was too. I vary seldomly get 10ft accuracy and i was receiving that under the trees. However with that accuracy my gps was still all over the place. I would zero and then couldnt find the cache so i would move arround and zero again 20 ft away from the previous zero. So how can it be 10ft accuracy when i am getting contridictional results.

Well I've had my 600 with the new firmware for a little longer now.

Notes:

- Backlight doesn't come on when proximity alert occurs (THANK YOU MAGELLAN!)

- I like the Geocache Found option, with the log time/date. That'll get some use

- They need to add a 'Not Found' option for those of us that accidentally click on found

- I *have* noticed a faster time to acquire sat lock here. That'll be handy

- I have also noticed that the map screen updates _slower_ now -- but if this is a tradeoff to support the improved GPS code, I'll take the GPS fix. (Tested with DirectRoute NA 2.0)

- I like the "Save As" option when marking a waypoint to save to a different file. They still need a Save & Goto option though for multi stage geocaches. PITA cancelling a goto to make a new goto to the waypoint I just entered

- Have not noticed any of the sensors being off on mine, but I did notice the new calibrate option on the thermometer. This was more of a problem for me in the summer than now, so I'll wait and see.

- Also noticed the SD Card format option, I wonder if a bad detail map will still crash the unit.

- I love the convert to point-to-point option for that last 700M of a DirectRoute to a geocache.

- Can turn of POI and Geocache names, but the blasted urban parks still clutter my screen with their names.

I still have to check Topo performance with the Canada map product. Performance on that was unbearable with the topo lines turned on with the original firmware. I also have to check if changing maps still nukes the sat locks on the unit.

So far, this update has made me very happy with my eXplorist again. The 200 Geocache limit and the 500 POI limit doesn't bother me too much -- I've got some nice GSAK macros that output a group of files that cover most of my geocaching territory and I don't really mind changing files from time to time. It still covers areas that are about an hour or two of driving from here.

Thanks Magellan, keep it up!

It's obvious that the thread has had an effect. I look forward to the new one!

Doc

I agree. I also would appreciate a fresh bug list for AFTER the 2.03 FW update!

Last night I performed the update. It went flawlessly and today, 1st Christmas Day, I'll do the 1st Geocache with the fresh 2.03 firmware.

Please send a searching crew if I'm not back in time! :)

Merry Christmas,

Rudolf.

This thread is now closed as a new one has been created for the new 5.2.03 firmware and can be found here.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. With over 250 posts and over 12,000 page views this thread over the course of a few months has helped Magellan develop this new firmware. Continue posting your feedback in the new thread so that we can continue to provide user feedback.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

Edited by D0T-C0M