Explorist Bug List (updated)

D0T-C0M

Lets me first start off by saying that this is NOT a Magellan bashing thread. It IS a thread that will compile a buglist/wishlist that users on this forum would like be fixed or implemented. We all know that the explorist line of products is a great piece of hardware its just that like any new hardware it has some bugs.

The list is compile from the feedback from this old thread and from replies from this thread.

I have talked to a Magellan technician and was told that nothing will be done if I am the only one that is experiencing these problems, So PLEASE if you wish to have something added please post it, but AT LEAST reply stating which items your are experiencing (if any). Hopefully as a group we can help Magellan to troubleshoot the issues we are having.

Sorry if the text is very small, I'm am posting an image of the list because I can only edit this thread for a certain amount of time after which I can no longer update the list. By adding an externally linked image I can update it indefinately.

Again please post which issues you are having or post issues that are not listed.

IMPORTANT: THIS THREAD USES IMAGES THAT ARE CONTINUALLY BEING UPDATED BUT USE THE SAME IMAGE FILENAME. THIS MEANS THAT AFTER OPENING THIS THREAD YOU MUST CLICK THE REFRESH BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER'S TOOL BAR TO REFRESH THE IMAGES. FAILING TO DO THIS WILL RESULT IN YOU HAVING AN OLD IMAGE(S) LOADED FROM YOUR BROWSER'S CACHE AND YOU WILL NOT SEE THE NEW UPDATED IMAGE(S).

ExploristBugList.JPG

ExploristEnhancements.JPG

Edited by D0T-C0M

I would like to add my list of problems I am experiencing with Explorist 600:

Major: #1

Minor: #2; 3; 4

Enhancements: #5; 6

by: Old Sailor

would like to see: closer zoom in range other than 100ft.

Hope this way of posting items is what you want D-C?

Edited by Old Sailor

Need enhancements #5 and #8.

Also need to be able to see my distance from a waypoint to be expressed in feet, without clicking over to where it shows "0.1 mile." I have a few caches that I'm trying to find where I know the location of the waypoints, but I have to search along an arc located at a distance of 600 feet from one waypoint and 603 feet from the second waypoint, respectively. Where these lines intersect is the location of the final cache. When I get out to 521 or more feet, the display automatically goes to 0.1 mile. I'd like to be able to see anything less than a mile able to be expressed in feet.

Also need a cable and a way to communicate with a Palm Lifedrive.

sarhound

With my first post, I thought I would contribute some fixes needed with the Explorist series.

With the Explorist 600 and DirectRoute 1.00a I have three fixes I would like to see:

1. There is noticeable lag when the receiver is updating current position. This isn't a problem on the old SporTrak Pro w/ firmware 5.34.

2. Street names are sometimes illegible when displayed vertically. The text appears to have lines going through each character.

3. Highway symbols are incorrectly displayed on the GPS using DirectRoute's detail map. (i.e. interstate symbol used on U.S. highway).

These issues could also be a result of not using Magellan's 2.00f version of DirectRoute, but I can't see why there would be major differences between 1.00a and 2.00f other than a few updated road maps.

Ryan

Edited by ryguyMN

eXplorist 500 (Firmware 5.1.53, 17 Jan 2005) "bug" - when tracking is set at "auto detailed", it takes 5 to 10 attempts (if at all) to bring up the menu to save the track log (i.e. step 5 below)

Normal sequence for saving a track.

1) press "menu";

2) select "track log" --> "retrieving file, please wait";

3) select "Active Track"; and then

4) select "save" track; should lead to the;

5) "save to" menu where you can specify a new file name.

When tracking is set to "auto detailed", the GPSr goes from step 4) back to step 3)without offering the menu at step 5)

here is an example of of minor issue #6

rez_1_40km.JPG

and another a a different resolution

rez_700m.JPG

As one can see the map is totally useless as well as trying to read the cache names. Thats why we need to be able to turn this text off and on

Edited by D0T-C0M
Dan the hutt, thanks for your input,

are you experiencing any of the above issues as well?

can somebody else confirm the bug he has mentioned?

Dang! I forgot that one in the big list - I just got out of the habit of going anywhere near that screen. It´s brutal waiting 5 minutes to CLEAR the track log. Just sit´s there on that ¨LOADING APPLICATION¨ screen forever. Can´t cancel either to get back to the previous screen.

You can more or less put me down for all the bugs except major #4 (Magellan can look at my 16 point post before if they don´t believe you).

Major

#1 yes, but rarely

#2 yes once, used the secret "skip system check" button sequence to bypass and then deleted files (I forget most of the details, but I was pretty frustrated with the eXplorist and Magellan support at the time)

#3 never yet, hope solution #2 above will work

Minor

#1 N/A don't have feature

#2 yes, hints will drop geocaches from 500 to 200, but I had more puzzling results with hint truncations. If I tried to upload a "hint" with too much text then that geocache point will not only fail to display the hint, but the tombstone data for the geocache as well (despite the GPSr file containing the information.) However if the hint is between 91 to approx. a 200 character length, then the record will display the tombstone data, and the hint to a truncated length of 90 characters. Of course if the hint is <= 90 characters, then everything works as normal.

#3 yes, but acceptable

#4 yes, but "horribly slow" is still within an acceptable limit

#5 I think occured once

#6 Not really. At 350m most street names disappear when Map Setup/Format/Detail=Medium and Map Setup/Display allows considerable customization ex: airports on/off. Also Preferences/Active Setup allows geocaches to be displayed or not. Perhaps I did not transfer a detailed map region to the GPSr.

Enhancements

#1 agree - hmmm GPSr hung up while testing this. Seems NAV+MENU+PWR is the new three finger salute to replace CTRL+ALT+DEL

#2 n/a

#3 ???

#4 n/a

#5 agree - I compensate by defining a garbage POI file under preferences for that day's caching where where I save with quick meaningless names.

#6 ??? Maybe this is region specific. Seems like Banff's detail is either overkill or should be the gold standard for detail across Canada (I heard the Alantic Provinces are where details are very skimpy.)

#7 n/a

#8 I lack the basis to compare to on other GSPrs, but I agree it is very difficult on the eXplorist to move the cursor and seek the magic spot where bearing and distance match.

New - clarify which way is up/down for the cable connection for charging functions and sell 12V power cords so the USB cable can be left at home.

Cheers!

Edited by Dan_the_Hutt

MAJOR:

#1 Yes, but i use a workaround to solve this problem.

#2 --

#3 I never use Data on internal memory because of this problem

MINOR

#1 YES

#2 YES

#3 YES

#4 -

#5 -

#6 -

ENHANCEMENTS

#1 YES

#2 -

#3 YES

#4 YES

#5 YES

#6 no CBM

#7 YES

#8 YES

------------------------------------------------------------------

And now one more time the text i already postet on Jul 29 2005, 08:25 AM

Hi,

The user of a German language Board on GPS-usage have created a list of features which are needed to make the eXplorist 600 to a real state of the art GPS-receiver.

(The board language is German, this document is a translation and a summary)

We know that it is possible not each feature being implemented into the next release, but this is what user in Germany are missing. Any feedback is welcome!

Yours sincerely

------

------

*****Satellite-screen

- Get back to a 2D-diagramm like before at Meridians/SporTraks, this was more informative. 3D-display is very confusing.

- Color coding of sats: eg: grey=no connection, red=connecting, blue=connected. Don't forget that 10% of the male population have a red/green-amblyopia!

- Sort Sats by number at display of the sat-strength

*****Map-Screen

- better utilization of color

- forests,parks should be flood filled with green, not little trees.

- rubber band from position to target is nearly invisible

- allow optional 4 user definable data fields (not only 2 data fields, selectable 2 or 4)

*****Compass-screen

- allow 4 user definable data fields optionally (not only 2 data fields, selectable 2 or 4)

- Heading pointer (like Platinum)

*****Position-screen

- 2 additional user definable data fields

- where is the 2nd coordinate system (of the meridians/SporTraks) gone? The coordinate system calculator was a powerful tool (combind with projection)

****** One more navigation screen please!!

Data screen: selectable 4 or 8 user definable data fields. if 4 is selected , then use big letters (important for sailing!), perhaps put a band compass at lower end of screen

*****Additional features on every screen:

Battery status, compass on/off-symbol, Satellite-position 3D/2D-Symbol,accuracy (like Garmin)

Other features we are missing:-

- Waypoint projection by distance and direction (Geocacher's wish)

- Automatic light off (low) for 5, 15 seconds selectable

- If automatic light off is engaged, one has to press buttons two times to get reaction, first to switch on light, second to give command. this is odd

- Possibility to switch light off completely

- alternative Power on/off procedure (like Meridians/Sporttraks): It is faster and more safe against accidently switch on/off

- easier switching of compass or switch automaticly dependent on speed (below certain speed electronic compass is switched on)

- Memory function for last SD-Folder if system powered off and on (default is internal storage)

- Edit or at least a "Found"-button for the geocache-waypoints

- Auto routing not only for cars (car fast/middle/slow, bicycles, pedestrian)

- Zooming for 10 meters (not only 35m)

- better utilization of colour

- Better auto-detailed tracking if the turns are every 15-30 meters

- 10.000 waypoints instead of 2.000 waypoints when using a SD-card

- expand user definable data field content to air pressure, temperature

- Calibration of thermometer display

- Weather-screen should be selectable more easily through the menu (move it top-wards)

- A graphical display of the air-pressure (last 24 hours)

- Selectable scale (when to change from base map to detailed map)

- Routing with stopover-points

- Alarm is very quiet (loudness should be selectable)

- If auto routing, system should automatic create new route on deviant (for example 300 meters) (not by pressing GOTO twice times)

- Automatic selection of the right detail-map

- Routable base map

- Additional moon highest level (not only moonrise, moonset)

- If explorist is turned of – a charging symbol would be nice during charging

- Tracking line should be able to configure for better visibility

Nice to have:

Calendar

Alarm clock function

Stop-watch function

Tides-calculator

Problems:

- GPS hangs if USB is unplugged

- Screen update on map screen is terrible slow (in fact it is slower than on the older units). Topo 3D Germany is not usable: screen updates take 10-15s!!! If topographic information is kept off the data, then the update is normal 1s

- Visible symbols on detailed map of (restaurants, train stations, underground stations …) (you can select it in the properties but it is not visible)

- During autorouting, the big sign for the next turn is shown too short

- Address entering scheme it odd: normal habit is first entering the town, then entering the street

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

New added:

Continue of Backtrack-option from EVERY trackpoint

Selection of Altitude (GPS, or via Air pressure)

Performance of meridians better at that time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently won an Explorist 500 and Ive had a chance to do a side by side comparison with my Garmin 60CS and I must say I am not impressed in the least with the Explorist. Here is a few of the resons:

- The enter key is pushing the click stick straight down. If you dont push it exactly straight, you end up moving the cursor to a different selection.

- Navigating between the different folders is slow and tedious. I spent more time waiting for things to process that actually using it.

- The 60CS updates your position alot faster. I would find the cache with my 60CS while the Explorist shows me being 200' away. The explorist would eventually catch up, but it takes a minute or 2.

- The rechargable battery makes it impossible to do a quick swap of batteries in the field unless you happen to have a fully charged battery pack on you. You can't just run over to the store to grab a pair of AA's

- The users manual that comes with the unit sucks to say the least.

- You can't project a waypoint with the Explorist

WH thers not much we can do with hardware conception. The best we can do is try to get the firmware/software bugs fixed so that we can make the unit as functional as possible.

Navigation between different folder is indeed slow. Especially when tracklogs are concerned. I will put this in the monir bug list

Edited by D0T-C0M
eXplorist 500 (Firmware 5.1.53, 17 Jan 2005) "bug" - when tracking is set at "auto detailed", it takes 5 to 10 attempts (if at all) to bring up the menu to save the track log (i.e. step 5 below)

I do not have that problem on my eX500, firmware 5.1.57.

I went on a hike yesterday and saved the track on Auto Detailed, and it works fine. My complaint is the the "retrieving file" time is long.

yes EScout I have the same complaint about long waits when choosing a directory that contains any files and also when accessing the files.

Have you experinced any of the items in the list (first post)

Edited by D0T-C0M
ryguyMN,

did you experience any of the other issues mentioned above?

Here are other issues I'm seeing:

Major:

Minor

#1, corrected with hidden menu 14

Enhancements

#3 and #4 would be great additions. Hopefully version 3 of DirectRoute will have this.

Thanks Dot-Com for putting together a list to send to Magellan. This should get their attention and hopefully we can get a long overdue update. The Explorist is a good piece of hardware, it just hasn't been given the support it deserves. It seems like Magellan has been focusing their support around the RoadMate navigation units.

On the list:

Major:

1. No

2. YEs, but only because I tried to load wrong, older maps.

3. Not loading maps on internal, so not a problem for me.

Minor:

1. NA

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. NO

Enhancements:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. yes

6. NA

7. NA

8. Yes

I would add: the descriptions being limited to just 200 out of 500 POIs in a file.

PRojecting a waypoint is important to me. Directions in Mils along with degrees is missed by me for greater precision. Either that or add decimal degrees.

Add another screen/page with at least 4 to 8 data fields. I miss the dual format of coordinates that the Meridian has.

Thanks, good work on this.

Edited by EScout

I do not have that problem on my eX500, firmware 5.1.57.

I went on a hike yesterday and saved the track on Auto Detailed, and it works fine. My complaint is the the "retrieving file" time is long.

I also had the problem with the x600 getting stuck at "retrieving file" when working with tracks. I was able to get rid of this issue by saving my tracks to the SD card instead of the internal memory. This isn't a fix but at least it makes track management usable.

On the list:

Major:

1. USB Freezing: YES

2. SD with bad data: not yet but is unacceptable

3. corrupted data: not yet, but is unacceptable

Minor:

1. Temperature: YES, two EX600's next to each other may show 5 degrees difference

2. Geocaching: NO

3. Light: NO, seems fine to me

4. Topo maps slow: YES! non-topo maps are already unbelievable slow

5. Labels: NO, not in Europe?

Enhancements:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. YES!

6. NA

7. Yes

8. No

Explorist improvements:

- most improtant for me: "rubber band" from current position to target is nearly invisible, the line from original starting point to target is not usefull for me but is more than clearly visible. Should be a thick green line

- response to pressing a button should be less than 1 second

- redrawing a map should be at least ten times faster, especialy when you move the cursor to see a bit more to the left or right, it very quickly redraws everything, whynot keep a bigger map in memory?

- POI's should be called waypints

- POI's are currently only shown at the highest zoom level, should also (optionally) be visible at lower zoom levels

- Name length of waypoints should be like 20 characters

- unlimited number of routepoints is needed, certainly more than 29!

- initilizing the unit by entering a country is tedious when you live in the Netherlands because it takes like 38 clicks to get there, why not personalize the unit with a special waypoint called "home" and have the possibility to use a wayoint to initialize the unit. This special waypoint is anyway handy when loosing the unit and somebody wants to give it back!

- When there is a file saved in the internal memory of the explorist (detailed map or so) then it takes two minutes (!!!) to save the active track

- font, especially the bold font is too "funny" and italic

- The list of POI's should not be alphabetical but in order of importants, City centers is by far the most important one for me because often I want to go to a city in which I do not know any street name. This makes it impossible to goto with the address functionality. Other important ones for me are: restaurants, hotels, parking, petrol, tourist attraction and the least important are of course wineries and golf courses (why has golf a special treatment and is it not part of sports?), border crossing, bus stations, community centers, educational institutes.

- I always wondered if the hunting and fishing option is a serious option. Does this really work? Is anybody using this? How is tis calculated anyway? I always show it, when I demonstrate the unit, as a joke.

- tides calculation would be really handy!!!!

- One overview screen with 6 fields like on the Meridian!

- Dutch translations could be improved

MAPSEND DirectRoute improvements:

- Most important: currently you have to pass all routepoints, but sometimes you make a mistake or so and you bypass one, this is not acceptable according to the Explorist, so you have to "goto-goto" to recalculate the route, I think the unit should look in the database of routepoints to look for the closest route point. This is especially true for direct routing. When you enter a route of you own I can imaging that the unit insists on passing all routepoints because you are in general not taking the shortest way in a user defined route.

- bigger than 64 MB maps, or at least have the possibility of angulated regions of interest

- the exit on a roundabout is nearly invisible in a route

- first enter city, then road in stead of the other way around, often I do not know a street in teh city I want to go, I know I can use city center but this is several clicks away

- need three tones alarm: one for left, one for right and one for straight ahead, should also be user definable sometimes there is alot of beeping in the car

I have experienced bug#1 several times, but not each time I use it.

Possible minor bug:

I download benchmarks to my Explorist 600 from Geocaching.com. A "gotot" won't work on these points because they don't have a name. If named, they seem to work OK.

have you experienced the other issues?

I just bought the unit and I'm definitely have issue number one. I added a seperate post to this group before I found this thread. Can anyone tell me how to stop this and keep it from happening? Also, I have another complaint...the screen scratched WAYYYY to easily!!!!

Theres no fix for major issue #1 , just retry until your maps are uploaded and crossyour fingers that magellan fix it.

As far as your screen goes I agree it scratches way to easily, My first explorsit600 had to screen protector but I put one on my second one and its almost a must have if you want to prolong the screens longivity. search the forums for screen protectors and get one on ASAP to prevent further damage

After you play with your unit for awhile, dont forget to review the other issues on the list and let us know if your having those problems too because magellan will not address are issues if its not experienced by many users.

The map60C has the same plastic over it's LCD screen, that gets deep cuts in it from just light taps of a camera on it. The soft plastic of all these light weight GPS units does not hold up to much abuse including the newer Garmin and Magellan units. I like either the Meridian series or map76 series that seem to hold up the best.

Must always put a screen protector on a naked GPS screen for protection.

May I suggest that everyone start posting what firmware they have. I have a three day old E600 with firmware 5.1.61.

I have experienced Major #1, but only once and that was when hooked up to a Windows 2000 system have had no problems when hooked up to Windows XP. Was wondering if any one else had noticed this since XP handles the USB differently than 2000.

My only other issue is that it is slow to acquire sats. and won't keep a lock in the house like my old Sportrak Color. And would hope that the Mapsend family get fixed so we don't have to use the converting for maps.

Glad to see this list being gathered for Magellan and hopefully they listen.

Same story as uploaded to Yahoo! Groups "eXplorist · Magellan eXplorist GPS"

My firmware 5.1.61 has flaws & bugs ! It's an European unit.

I never succeed in firing up my eXplorist 600 in 1 time. I mostly

need at least 3 startups to get it working. Switching off during

these tries (2 out of 3) only possible by nav+menu+pwr .

MY experience:

(beeps configured on)

After switching on, [enter], there are these possibilities:

a. press a key (i.e. cursor down), eXpl doesn't beep

Sometimes even the animation is stopped and none of the keys respond.

(I have seen a green globe several times, i.s.o. a blue one.)

or

b. press a key (i.e. cursor down), eXpl beeps

in case a.

unit never becomes operational, seems to hang in "Loading..."

satellites never show up

keys do not respond, you can wait and wait...

only option is to switch off, by

.) on/off switch, (99.99% chance this doesn't work), so

.) nav+menu+pwr together (kinda "ctrl-alt-del")

in case b. also two possibilities:

b1. no map shows up, unit seems to hang in "Loading..." but finally

shows: "Your unit is having difficulty locating satellites. If you

are indoors, please go outside. Press [enter] to limit the search to

your current location."

0 Satellites are found, none locked.

So, go outdoors, wait and see if anything happens...

b2. wait and finally a map shows up, but, with hourglass

probably 1 or more satellites are found, but because of 'poor

reception' none locked

but you're lucky, the unit is fired up, wait for more satellites...

My eXplorist 600 (always) reacts like this:

-------------------------------------------

1st time switching on: a.

no key beeps, nothing works, reset (nav+menu+switch off)

2nd time switching on: b1.

key beeps work, no map (loading... infinitly), no satellites

(tracking 0), but regular 'pwr switch' off possible

3rd time switching on: b2.

key beeps work, after some time a map is shown, one or more

satellites are detected, depending of reception quality.

-------------------------------------------

I will post this story in the Groundspeak thread, as soon I have

somewhat more spare time. I did.

Rudolf. (2005-08-15)

Firmware. 5.1.61

MAJOR

1- USB Freezing

>>No, not USB, only the GPS freezing up when I tried to eject the unit's icon on a Mac.

3. If corrupted data is sent to the internal memory causes the unit to become inoperatable...

>>Yes

MINOR

2. Geocaches are dropped without warning when uploading more than 200 caches. Geocache manager does not handle well geocaches that have similar starting names.

>>The caches are there, but not the comment information. Any comment over the 200 limit is lost even though 500 POIs can be active. Weird.

6. Can't turn of displaying park names on the map screen, so the map is covered in a bunch of labels.

>>Yes, on detailed maps, street names should be able to be turned off.

ENHANCEMENTS

1- unable to do a find nearest on a specific POI name,

>>Yes, a problem, also there should be an easier way to select a cache from the map screen. I often have to zoom way in before the point is able to be selected with the cursor, and that's not very easy. The alternative is to go through all the menus to find the nearest cache.

3. Better light management needed.

>>Yes, and there should be a total off setting.

5. Would like to have the ability to "Save&Goto" in waypoint entry screen. Always having to catch up to the other cachers while I hit save, filename then goto, point-to-point, file name, waypoint, enter. Too many clicks.

>>Yes, exactly. This is my main complaint, or at least related issues. There should be a way to access the POI that you have a GOTO on. I want to see the coordinates at a glance. I want to be able to easily dlete it without going through all the menu screens. After all, it is the main point one is looking at and should be easy to access and manipulate.

For me, add:

Unit shutting down on some screens when NAV is pressed.

Wish list items are nice I know. My tops are user-selectable icons (geocaching, not just preset icons), easier active POI management, a decent lanyard loop (especially on the bottom), faster scrolling, dependable non-corruptible internal memory, and a card slot that's not stuck underneath the battery.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

My tops are user-selectable icons (geocaching, not just preset icons)...

Well, evidently from the screen shot you can have cache icons. How you do dat?

OH, never mind, those are the geocache as opposed to POI icons. Let me rephrase then... we either need to have cache icons for regular POIs, or we need to be able to modify the geocaches on the eXplorist.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

OH, never mind, those are the geocache as opposed to POI icons. Let me rephrase then... we either need to have cache icons for regular POIs, or we need to be able to modify the geocaches on the eXplorist.

Parsa

If I understand the request, this can be done via GSAK already.

Edit: Oops, I didn't quite understand what you meant. But with GSAK you can change regular POI icons for caches to rarely-used (and thus distinctive) icons from the Magellan-offered icon set...but not the special cache icons AFAIK.

Edited by embra
Edit: Oops, I didn't quite understand what you meant. But with GSAK you can change regular POI icons for caches to rarely-used (and thus distinctive) icons from the Magellan-offered icon set...but not the special cache icons AFAIK.

I don't bother with the rarely used aspect. When using my GPS for geocaching, I just switch my active POI file to a geocaching one, then switch back to my "main" waypoints later. I love that one can load a waypoint from any file on the card for a goto, not just the "active" one.

Parsa

If I understand the request, this can be done via GSAK already.

I think what he means is he wants to be able to edit the geocache POIs as if they were regular POIs. As it stands now Geocache POIs are not editable which is really ridiculous from a geocaching point of view. Its great that they have their own cool little geocache icons but You MUST be able to edit them or whats the point??? :rolleyes:

My experience and reflections...

Major #1: I have seen the post-USB transfer freezeup a very few times on my 500, and to my recollection this happened after I had done some especially heavy transfer load. It's been a while now so I can't remember details. This problem appears to affect 600s more often.

Minor #2: The Geocaching Manager does need to be beefed up to minimally include a warning about exceeding 200 POIs. Actually, I think Magellan would be smart to do some sort of partnering/coordinating with Clyde and Robert on GSAK/GPSBabel. It seems to me to be a great example of one of those times where outsourcing benefits everyone. Magellan could focus on the firmware side.

Minor #7: The time to access the tracklog menu drives me nuts.

Enhancements: Many of these are good ideas. I particularly endorse or comment on these -

#2 - Beeping needs refinement. I would like the option for a time-limited (3 seconds?) alert beep.

#4 - At least add the "no U-Turn" option. I recently started using a Quest for my vehicle GPS needs. I don't know if the hand-held Magellans with DirectRoute are capable of better quality route calculations or not, but adding no U turns and automatic route recalculation (#13) seem doable, and are a couple of the features on the Quest that I really appreciate for the way I use these things.

#5 - Yes, thoughful addition of things would reduce clicking...very worthwhile.

#8 - Waypoint projection! Yes!

#11 - I want more datafields, too. I either have to switch between screens or even swap data fields in and out (the latter is way too cumbersome to be usable). A separate data screen (#18) would take care of the need for me, but even the addition of two fields to one of the screens would take care of 80% of my need.

#13 - see #4 above

Lastly, I'm not sure if this would be a new one or just an add-on to geocaching-specific features mentioned in #23, but if Magellan could enhance the geocaching features to allow for the replacement of a PDA, it would be fantastic. The main things that jump out at me for this to happen would be for the inclusion of descriptions and more than 50 characters to display hints. The addition of the last few logs would be a plus, but not as essential. Again, GSAK/GPSBabel can handle the computer software side, changes mostly are needed in the firmware.

I think what he means is he wants to be able to edit the geocache POIs as if they were regular POIs. As it stands now Geocache POIs are not editable which is really ridiculous from a geocaching point of view. Its great that they have their own cool little geocache icons but You MUST be able to edit them or whats the point??? :D

Yes, exactly, geocache POIs should be editable. However, is it true that ordinary POIs can have geocache icons? How do you access the other Magellan icons and replace the standard set?

Parsa

Minor #2: The Geocaching Manager does need to be beefed up to minimally include a warning about exceeding 200 POIs. Actually, I think Magellan would be smart to do some sort of partnering/coordinating with Clyde and Robert on GSAK/GPSBabel. It seems to me to be a great example of one of those times where outsourcing benefits everyone. Magellan could focus on the firmware side.

Magellan did actually work with Marcosoft, the makers of Quo Vadis, to make their Map Companion software for the GPS Companion (for Palm OS).

At this time i am using eX600 not for geocaching but for mountainbiking

Ofcourse i would like to have all updates listed in my previous thread.

But reduced to 3 points here it is:

-Battery status, compass on/off-symbol, Satellite-position 3D/2D-Symbol,accuracy (like Garmin)

- Better auto-detailed tracking if the turns are every 15-30 meters

- 10.000 waypoints instead of 2.000 waypoints when using a SD-card

Magellan sells a bike-holder, but i am not sure if it was ever testet for biking.

Tracking line is hardly to see on the Display.

For geocaching these points would not be so important for you.

Perhaps this will get the idea why we have listet this options.