Category Proposal: Llamas

Category: Llamas

Descriptions: Llama ranches and privately-owned llamas (no zoos)

Directory: Things > Animals

(OK, tell me you didn't see this one coming!)

We have a lot of fun with llamas in the GC threads, and there's been a minor boom in private ownership and ranching. Why not recognize these peaceful animals and help people find a rreal llive llama near them?

Only llamas that are privately owned or residing on llama ranches would be waymarked. Zoo llamas will have to settle for being part of a zoo waymark.

(Unless there's an uprising of llamas that convinces me otherwise.)

Here in Washington state, alpaca farms are almost as common as llamas. And there may be other simialr animals groomed for their wool. So I would support a category a bit more inclusinve than just llamas. I don't know enough about these type of animals to suggest a name however. peace, fishiam

There's a small llama farm (ranch?) on Whidbey Island in Washington. I'd always slow down when driving by so I could get a better look. This waymark would give me a reason to actually stop the next time I see llamas. I vote yes.

Of course, I think any "odd" animal ranch or farm would be equally as fascinating, such as emus, buffalos, etc.

There's a small llama farm (ranch?) on Whidbey Island in Washington. I'd always slow down when driving by so I could get a better look. This waymark would give me a reason to actually stop the next time I see llamas. I vote yes.

Of course, I think any "odd" animal ranch or farm would be equally as fascinating, such as emus, buffalos, etc.

We used to have an ostrich ranch not far from our house. ;)

There's a small llama farm (ranch?) on Whidbey Island in Washington.  I'd always slow down when driving by so I could get a better look.  This waymark would give me a reason to actually stop the next time I see llamas.  I vote yes.

There is a cache overlooking that, called Alpaca'd up and -- All Gone. I found it with a group that included none other than Jeremy. (See September 2003 logs.) I remember that day very well -- and not because we were laughing at Jeremy for leaving his digital camera behind at one of the caches we found. Rather, it was because he told me the vision for Waymarking that day while we hiked up a hill. It blew my mind. And what you're all seeing today is pretty much the same as he described to me on that day nearly two years ago. It has been really, really hard to keep it a secret for that long!

Sorry to stray off-topic. Anyways, the farm you're remembering is gone now, hence the cache name. So, ummm, can you log a DNF on a waymark? ;)

EDIT: Signing the log at that cache --

2064062_200.jpg

Edited by The Leprechauns

We had a "Beefalo" ranch just down the road from us until a few years ago. Now it's a development. <sigh>

You were about a mile (as the GPSr flies) from my old house, Lep! Man, do I miss that place. ;)

Edit: After looking at the cache page, that's not the same place; my old house was slightly NE of Oak Harbor. See what I get for jumping to conclusions? It's the only exercise I get!

Edited by Pyewacket
"Here's a llama, there's a llama, and another little llama..."

The Leprechauns beat me to the reference, but here's the URL...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

"...llama, llama, duck!"

My earnest hope is that this category will be approved, so that I can log a DNF by posting the following picture:

2625da36-d1f1-41b1-b454-f6048e85834a.jpg

HEY... waitafrigginminute! It seems you CANNOT log a DNF on a waymark? Only "visits" or "notes." What's up with that? Waymarking.COM HATES INCOMPETENT GPS USERS WHO CANT FIND STUFF.

I take great pride in my DNF's. I want to be able to DNF waymarks that I cannot find. If I can't, well.... I may just pick up my toys and GO HOME.

I want to be the first geocide from Waymarking. Hmmm, that term doesn't fit. Would it be Markicide? Or just say that I have "Lost my Way?"