Category Proposal: Cemetery Coordinate Project

Proposal for a waymark under the

People: Graves/Memorials category

Subcategory: Cemetery Coordinate Project.

At one of our local coffee chat events a few months back, a local geocacher who is involoved with the Ohio Geneological Society (which literally writes the book on Ohio Cemeteries), came to our coffee event and asked if geocachers would be interested in a project to waypoint Ohio's cemeteries (helping to build an accurate coordinate database).

The new Waymarking 'game' seems like it would be ideally suited to helping out with this project, plus take waymarkers to all the different cemeteries (historic and modern) across the state.

While the original spawn of this idea is to do it for Ohio Cemeteries, there is no reason the project could not be to gather cemetery coordinates across the country and for that matter the geocaching/Waymarking world (I've waypointed cemeteries in Pennsylvania, as well)

Thanks for listening to my proposal, and hope the community sees some worth in this project.

SherwoodForest

I'd vote yes on this-and to make it nationwide. I've been doing roughly the same thing for my county in Tennessee. We have over 500 just in our county and I have been helping the historical society by getting photos and coords to as many as I could find. If others in my area would be able to add ones I hadn't been to yet, it would help my job in getting to ones to photograph! I LOVE this idea! :)

The new Waymarking 'game' seems like it would be ideally suited to helping out with this project, plus take waymarkers to all the different cemeteries (historic and modern) across the state.

I'd be careful with using this site for a project like this because the only folks who would have access are members of this site and the only ones who could get an offline listing would be required to be paying members of this site.

By relying on this site you're are making it proprietary and subject to Jeremy's control.

~CR

Edited by Sissy-n-CR

actually as i understand the op the only data uploaded would be the cemetary itself, NOT the details of the graves within it - that information would go on another site I'd imagine.

So Yes I agree but then I would say that as I did some of this work in the UK for the cheshire family history society.

actually as i understand the op the only data uploaded would be the cemetary itself, NOT the details of the graves within it - [snip]

That's fine-all I'd be looking to find(or add) is the actual location. I've already been able to locate some in this area because someone placed a physical cache in them or near them, and for someone who is looking to update the Historical Society's records, that is good for me.

While the original spawn of this idea is to do it for Ohio Cemeteries, there is no reason the project could not be to gather cemetery coordinates across the country and for that matter the geocaching/Waymarking world (I've waypointed cemeteries in Pennsylvania, as well)
"YES" nationwide .... JOE

If the target area is Ohio and Pennsylvania or "the nation" (which one?), then we're of course AGAINST it.

If its an idea for worldwide Waymarking, thats all right for us.

BalkanSabranje

i hadn't understood that things could be sorted out by region when I originally posted, but now that I understand that, yes, this idea would be to find the coordinates for cemeteries on an international basis.

The guideline we're using for where to take the coordinate is at the main entrance to the cemetery (or what looks to be the main entrance to the cemetery for those with multiple entrances).

Unfortunately, those cemeteries with caches, those caches are usually not at the entrance, so the cache coordinates are not useful for this project, as it is the entrance (and parking coordinates if parking is not obviously available in the cemetery or at the entrance coordinates)

:P