Category Proposal: Earthcaches

Should Earthcaches be their own category or should they be subdivided into types of Earthcaches like already exist at www.earthcache.org? Earthcaches now number about 300 listings and they are increasing rapidly so we need to come to a consensus on how to categorize them.

Personally, I think we need to subdivide them because in the long term when there are thousands of them we will want a way to separate the different types. Perhaps calling them Earthcache-Volcanic or Earthcache-Tidal, etc. with Earthcache in the title so that they can all be found by searching on the word Earthcache.

This brings up a good question. What about the many to many relationship between Way Marks? Something may be a earth cache but it may also be in another category like the grand canyon or something.

Does this site support this hard to get around requirement?

I think Earthcaches will carry on but under waymarks instead. I would guess they will use the same sub categories as on the eartchcache site. I've written up about 5 of these and have three more ready to submit, and I think they are just what a waypoint should be - WOW factor, educational, not suitable for regular cache box (many cases), found widely, but not very common - if you choose good sites, such as ones marked as SSSIs in the UK