Data Migration

I have read that existing caches and data would stay as is. Has anyone looked at the effort or process to migrate all old caches and data to the new system?

It would be work but seems like it would make it a cleaner distinction on where to go and what to do.

Even if all the existing items rolled up to a legacy category and then the owners could recategorize them or something.

The effort might be larger than the benefit but I think it is something to think about. Getting stats to mesh and each site serving that one purpose seems like a better idea to me.

Thanks

Edited by GeoBlank

The owners of current LCs will have the option of starting a new category at WM.com. If they take this option, the LC at GC.com will be archived. I don't believe that there will be any migration of data from the old LC to the new WM(?).

If the LC owner does not choose this option, the LC will be archived at the end of the year.

The benefit of going over now, rather than later is one avoids the added scrutiny involved in getting future WMs approved.

We won't be migrating old data to the new system. The site is starting fresh. Even locationless caches will not data migrate to Waymarking but instead start empty.

I did consider that eventually geocaching.com data will be also available within a subdirectory of Waymarking.com, but the functionality for finding and logging caches should exist on geocaching.com as well.

Regardless the underlying technology will eventually be identical.