Category Proposal: Nuke Plants

I don't see the problem. Most plants have some type of visitor center. I think it is an overreaction to think listing coordinates is a danger. As said, you can get a pretty good satellite photo of even the most restricted areas just by knowing the general location.

For example:

I know there is a plant somewhere around Clinton Illinois. I Google Clinton Nuclear. DOE list for Clinton with links to every other plant in Illinois. You can quickly find that the town of Clinton is located at 40°10'N 88°54'W. From there it only takes a few minutes at LostOutdoors to find 40.171716N -88.835769W and Clinton.jpg

I would think that this would be a bigger threat than people showing up at the fence with a couple of kids and a GPS.

For example:

I know there is a plant somewhere around Clinton Illinois.  I Google Clinton Nuclear. DOE list for Clinton with links to every other plant in Illinois. You can quickly find that the town of Clinton is located at 40°10'N 88°54'W. From there it only takes a few minutes at LostOutdoors to find 40.171716N -88.835769W and

I would think that this would be a bigger threat than people showing up at the fence with a couple of kids and a GPS.

We all know that. My objection is that non-cachers might not know that, and it could *appear* that we are a danger. Similar to my objection to using ammo cans without geocaching stickers on all sides.

Edited by hoovman
...I know for a fact that standing on the public road running down the side of the petroleum plant near us and taking a photo of it is a jailing offence.

That sounds like a story! Any chance you logged that somewhere?

Sorry, boring story. Someone in my photography class took photos of it for a project and he got shipped of down to the local nick.

Woot!

I found one...

DAEC

How do I claim it??

Mostly I think this idea would be more likely to cause complaints than be a fun . Kinda like the Victorian post boxes locationless. (yea you can find all the addresses you want on google and free or cheap images elsewhere, but you know someones gonna claim because we're doing it, its bad <_< )

There is enough evidence in current virtuals, locationless, and eartch caches to support this type of category...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...44-d9c2c2348ff9

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d8-c45dfee29684

Missle Silo's, bomb shelters, you name it, there is a need for it.

How can you archive exisitng items if the categories don't exist? Because there were no categories before did not keep them from being approved.

Just google: nuclear plants in the usa and you get for example: Plants

So I don't see any problems with that information.

Well, okay, yeah, there is that. But that doesn't include all the other information I seem to be paranoid about. But I guess most of it's probably available without too much work.

I can see both sides of the fence with this issue - but in light of Americas paranoia - albeit real or perceived, I think that this is one of those playing 'with Fire Issues'. If some nutter was to go and do something stupid with a Nuclear Plant or even attempt to - I'm quite sure when DHS is looking at the contributing/enticement factors then Groundspeak could take a hard hit over it as much as any other site such as Google Earth. But we can sit and watch snails whizz by and say "what if" till the second coming. But for myself - I say stay away & err on the side of caution. Besides - what in hell is so attractive & facinating about a Nuclear Power Plant that it needs to be waymarked in anycase. Why don't we also set up a category for Toxic Waste sites so we can all go get our picture taken and record the coordinates of 245D, PBC or enriched uranium Garbage heap. That way when we start to have babies with an eye in the centre of their head or 3 arms and a butt hole on it's left big toe - we can all know what coordinates it all originated from.