Category Proposal: Scenic Overlooks

Name: "Scenic Overlooks" or "What Do I See?" or "Enjoy the View!"

Description: Roadside overlooks offering a scenic view

Directory: Places

We've all seen them and stopped there. Now here's your chance to show them to everyone else.

Many times I've been driving along and stopped to rest at a regular rest area then driven on and found a Scenic Overlook xx amount of miles down the road and been disappointed because I had already stopped and now didn't have the time to stop again. Here's a way to help with that for your next trip or to showoff the view to those driving through.

Pictures of the view, a description of the facilities (if any) like picnic tables, restrooms, etc... and the general location (I-75 @ Mile Marker 275) to help with mapping along with the gps waypoint.

T1

I love this idea -- there are so many of these that I see that I wish I had the time to stop at and always wonder about. Including descriptions of the facilities is very useful, I like it. This would be something I'd look at when planning a big road trip and try to pick out places to stop along the way.

I like this one.

Here is a GA view close to home.

The road now enters the poles of the shed. Cohutta is from the Cherokee expression Ga-hu-ta-yi, which means, "place of shed roof on poles." The poles of the shed are the mountains on the southern outer rim of the wilderness and they "hold up" the sky, or the roof of the shed.

cohuttaview.jpg

Almost 70 square miles of North Georgia wilderness is surrounded by a drive many refer to as the Cohutta Loop.

Great idea, and I would like to see locations OFF the interstates included, or perhaps listed as a subcategory (Non-Interstate scenic overlooks?). There are two in my own county that I would immediately enter, as they have tremendous views and are two of my most favorite spots where I live.

I like it also--and it would help us avoid those scenic overlooks that aren't so scenic also!

I once pulled off to visit an advertised "scenic overlook" --we followed all the signs only to be taken to a delapidated picnic table and empty trash can next to two sorry-looking pine trees next to a recently harvested farm field. I thought perhaps the scenic view was hidden by the trees or something, so I actually got out and walked about a quarter mile in each direction to look for the attraction. Nothing scenic there that I could see.

Two miles further down the road was another advertised scenic view. We tried it also and found a lovely gazebo and three picnic tables next to a field of wildflowers along a river with a tremendous view of the river valley.

With Waymarking, spot one could be warned against --along with a suggestion to visit spot two.