Category Proposal: Antique Carousels

I would like to propose a category for antique carousels (under 'Things' root category). There are fewer than 150 in operation in the US today, and those remaining constitute a true national treasure. Besides their amusement factor which has enchanted children and adults alike for over a century, wooden carousels are a fine example of american folk art with their various carving and paint styles, not to mention the organ music that draws one back to the early 20th century.

Besides the antique carousels themselves, the targets could include carved wooden horses and other animals on display separate from a carousel (there are traveling exhibits which visit various cities from year to year, with the horses "on parade" on city streets for example.) It could also include carousel museums and restoration company locations.

EDIT: It appears as though there can be subcategories listed under each category. If that is the case, then the carousels, the horses "on parade", and carousel museums, etc. would each be separate subcategories under the one heading of Antique Carousels. Another subcategory might be carousel postcards (as I've seen many of these, and they're inexpensive, usually from $0.15 to $0.50). Users could post a picture or scan of the postcard and note any little factoids or description that is on the non-picture side in addition to the name of the attraction depicted in the postcard. (Maybe, I'd even request they be mailed to my kids, if that was cool.)

EDIT #2: For subcategory of carousels, I would request loggers to include the carousel fare, and possibly the description of the horse (or other animal) they rode (as I'd probably request them to ride it to log it, not sure though -- Input/comments from others???) That beside the usual logging requirements of photos, etc. Hours of operations would be good, too.

Edited by Bear Paughs
Just what makes it an antique carousel?

Antique carousels have hand carved wooden figures and were produced in the US primarily between 1880 and 1935. Following WWII the carousel fell out of favor as larger amusement rides like roller coasters became the rage, and were no longer produced. In the 1970's and '80's carousels saw a resurgence in popularity due to their nostalgia factor, but the newer carousels were produced with fiberglass and other manmade materials.

Having just been to an antique carousel in Watch Hill, RI, i think you should not require the person to ride the carousel, since this one is only for kids. Maybe have someone in your party ride it, but that only works for people with kids.

Having just been to an antique carousel in Watch Hill, RI, i think you should not require the person to ride the carousel, since this one is only for kids. Maybe have someone in your party ride it, but that only works for people with kids.

Good idea. I didn't realize there were ones that didn't allow adults to ride. Based on your input I wouldn't make it a requirement, but I would probably suggest taking a ride if possible.

Bumping this proposal, but I think the category shoould not be limited to just antique Carousels, I think Antique could be a variable as well as metal carousels, & wood carousels. and the category title should just be Carousels

http://www.nca-usa.org/census/census-INAC.html

there is even this

http://www.nca-usa.org/psp/Carters/

For those like the UK that move around they could be made a waymark where it is found and then recreated when it moves, or the new coords could be added to the original page as an additional variable..

Edited by chstress53

Sub categories do not exist, see this

Jeremy posted this Quite some time ago:

" I keep seeing this recommendation for a sub-category. There is no such thing as a proposed sub-category per se. When you make a request for a new waymark category you do just that - Ask for a waymark category to be created and you become the manager.

"

but this would make a nice variable