Category Proposal: Men's Clubs

Disrespectful? Inappropriate? Offensive? All these things could come from a PETA member or a vegitarian regarding the McDs category. Or a recovering Alcoholic regarding the Brewpubs category. If you don't want to see something that offends you, don't flippin look at it. But don't try to tell me I can't look at it, you bunch of control freaks! Its not like adding the category would instantly create naked popups that barrage your bleeding eyes the second you enter the site. In order to see the contents of the category, wouldn't one first have to enter the category or do a search for the types of things that were in the category? If things that would be in the "Gentlemens Club" category would offend you, here's an idea.... don't click that category. People who don't police there own kids ruin everything for those of us that do or don't even have kids.

Now I understand that Groundspeak has a policy at the moment to protect us from the evil doers and the evil they do. Hopefully they will soon have the proper tools in place that we won't have to censor thigns that are otherwise legal for adults to do. It's not like the OP suggested "Crack Houses" or "Prostitue Corners".

Feel free to be offended as everyone has that right to be offended by something. But if everyone erased everything that offends them in this world, there would be nothing left to erase and no one left to erase it.

haven't we had enough problems lately with the image geocaching is trying project? all we need is for anti-caching groups to see a listing for "gentleman's clubs".

"look! we were right. geocachers are just as depraved as we thought they were. first graveyards and now this!"

i wouldn't want a "ladies club" in here either. i just don't see it as a plus for this site.

Well, its already been repeatedly crammed down our throats that "Waymarking is not geocaching" so any negative result (not that there would be) would reflect soley on waymarkers since no one in the general public will ever be smart enough to figure out the conection between the two.

haven't we had enough problems lately with the image geocaching is trying project?  all we need is for anti-caching groups to see a listing for "gentleman's clubs". 

"look!  we were right.  geocachers are just as depraved as we thought they were.  first graveyards and now this!" 

i wouldn't want a "ladies club" in here either.  i just don't see it as a plus for this site.

Well, its already been repeatedly crammed down our throats that "Waymarking is not geocaching" so any negative result (not that there would be) would reflect soley on waymarkers since no one in the general public will ever be smart enough to figure out the conection between the two.

i'm entitled to my opinion, as you are yours. :rolleyes:

Disrespectful? Inappropriate? Offensive? All these things could come from a PETA member or a vegitarian regarding the McDs category. Or a recovering Alcoholic regarding the Brewpubs category. If you don't want to see something that offends you, don't flippin look at it. But don't try to tell me I can't look at it, you bunch of control freaks! Its not like adding the category would instantly create naked popups that barrage your bleeding eyes the second you enter the site. In order to see the contents of the category, wouldn't one first have to enter the category or do a search for the types of things that were in the category? If things that would be in the "Gentlemens Club" category would offend you, here's an idea.... don't click that category. People who don't police there own kids ruin everything for those of us that do or don't even have kids.

Now I understand that Groundspeak has a policy at the moment to protect us from the evil doers and the evil they do. Hopefully they will soon have the proper tools in place that we won't have to censor thigns that are otherwise legal for adults to do. It's not like the OP suggested "Crack Houses" or "Prostitue Corners".

Feel free to be offended as everyone has that right to be offended by something. But if everyone erased everything that offends them in this world, there would be nothing left to erase and no one left to erase it.

Well said, mini cacher. Thanks.

This right-wing, conservative, family-friendly whacko votes hell yes. The argument "you can find a list of those anywhere you want" is lame and would probably eliminate at least half, maybe more, of the extant and proposed categories already out there.

The other argument - the "family friendly" one - well, I somehow fail to see how it is the responsibility of Groundspeak to keep tabs on what it is YOUR kids are seeing and/or doing in an effort to overcome the inadequacies of your parenting sbility.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG OMG HAHAHAHAAHAHA (GASP) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LMAO HAHAHAH UH OH CHOKING BREATHE! BREATHE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is funnier thatn the time i strapped a lawn chair to my skateboard HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ;) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA im not taking this seriously its just too funny, anyways im to young to get into one of those joints, sure i can pretend to be twelve years old and get into movie theatres for a childs price (which has been very hard lately due to acne, and facial hair and the excuse hormonal imbalance hasn't worked out well) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LMAO I should have posted this. I dont mean to be sexist but all the guys are gonna love it and all the girls probably wont be too keen on it. HAHAHA gasp gasp oh my lord, i i think i just popped a lung. the things u adults argue about. geocaching was family fun based. u can go back on it if u guys feel like it; i dont really care im 16. one more thing. Why would u go to a strip bar just to find it, mark it and leave, thats not really how they work. there are hundreds of other waymarks to find if u dont like it, but there are those people who just love to complain, holy monkeys. they'll complain about it for weeks. I hope one of the administrators email box isn't hooked up to the complaints section. THEY HAVE LIVES TOO! and they may complain with good reason. THATS EVEN MORE ANNOYING! THEY'RE COmplaining and right. lol

well thats all i had to say. I dont have an opinion (except that it was really funny to read all the logs and stuff) I just pointed out the obvious. Someone is gonna complain about this log of mine too i know. to all the people who complain "Tu eres el culo de un mono."

no dignity whatsoever on my part,

Mike Rotch

NO!

And for that matter, I'm not crazy about seeing catagories for McDonalds, Sushi Resturants, bars, or any OTHER commercial endeavor either. I didn't get in here in time to register my disapproval when it might still have been relevant and what's done is done so I'm not going to complain about the catagories already approved.

People can sit there and make mildly clever and disparaging remarks about those who find something "offensive" but those people are usually the ones who want to destroy all sense of values in anything they do.

I'm not getting on a soapbox, I've been to more than a few t***y bars during my military career and I don't find them offensive but I don't talk about them during family gatherings either! There's a time and place for everything. Neither Geocaching or Waymarking are the place for this kind of thing.

If we post a catagory for Strip bars, what's next? Waymarks for favorite hooker hangouts?

Said my piece, not going to argue about it, take it or leave it.

Either way, my vote remains NO!

Edited by Team Panda

All morals aside, I just don't see the point in this kind of waymark.

McDonalds, I can understand, and not simply because its family friendly. A lot of people will go looking for McDonalds while traveling (In fact one of the first uses I put my GPS to, even before caching was to mark McDonalds locations as I drove from Calgary to Waterloo).

My question is, under what circumstance would this kind of a category actually be useful, or interesting. When would you ever go out and download the waypoints to it?, or alternatively would you ever be wow that's interesting when you drive by it?

I can answer the first question for McDonalds with "When I'm traveling long distance, it tells me where I might get my next meal from (yes I eat at McDonalds)" the second question, well ya' know I'd probably say not really (although there are some interesting different plans for McDonalds buildings, and it might be interesting to see pictures of them).

With the "Men's Clubs" category, I really can't see giving a positive answer on either account, is it something which you're going to go looking for when you're away from home or driving through an area (maybe it is? I'm certainly not going to, but maybe you do....), are there any interesting 'gee whiz' type things you might get a kick out of when driving by/visiting? Maybe, but I don't think so.

I think generally there has to be something a bit better than a "Yellow Page Listing" to make a waymark worth while. This one fails on both of the criteria I like to use, so thumbs down from be.

I should add, strip clubs where you wouldn't expect to see them *might* make for an interesting category. I can remember driving down a relatively quiet stretch of road through Northern Ontario, and seeing a sign pointing off in to the middle of no where (no town indicated down the road) with the reading "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS ---->" on it. Now that might be interesting, and you wouldn't get that out of a yellow page listing either.

I'm not crazy about seeing catagories for McDonalds, Sushi Resturants, bars, or any OTHER commercial endeavor either. I didn't get in here in time to register my disapproval when it might still have been relevant...
Don't worry, it doesn't look like much of our opinions were ever really that relevent. ;)

If we post a catagory for Strip bars, what's next? Waymarks for favorite hooker hangouts?
I won't discount your opinion because you have every right to it. And I'll try not to make any clever remarks about things being "offensive". However, I will remark about those who repeatedly try to group apples and oranges in the same bag. Strip bars, while distasteful to some, are legal businesses that operate under regulations determined by local (or state) officials. Prostitution, at least in the US, is generally an illegal business and probably should not be listed here. A strip bar would be better compared to a "regular" bar and/or night club, where there is generally alcohol served (but not always) and people dancing.... only the dancers are nekkid (or in some cases, wearing beach attire). Edited by mini cacher

As I said above, I'm not going to argue it, I've cast my vote.

But I couldn't resist coming back in and making the observation that if you think "Strip Bars" are "apples" to the hooker hangout's "oranges" I suspect you haven't been to a great many strip bars.

Most of the time, I'd say comparing strip joints to hooker hangouts was less a case of comparing apples to oranges than it was a case of comparing "Granny Smith" apples to "Red Delicious" apples.

For that matter, Waymarking is not a strictly American endeavor, it is a global endeavor and I can promise you that in many countries, "Strip Bars" and "Hooker Hangouts" are not only comparable, they are identical.

So that would really be more like comparing hooker hangouts to hooker hangouts, wouldn't it?

But I couldn't resist coming back in and making the observation that if you think "Strip Bars" are "apples" to the hooker hangout's "oranges" I suspect you haven't been to a great many strip bars.

Your suspicions would be very incorrect. I have been to "a fair amount" of strip bars in several states as well as several countries. I have also walked around a bit in several "red light" districts where that sort of thing IS legal. (A couple years as a field service engineer left me with many evenings with nothing better to do than party on the company expense account... poor me. ;) As ibycus suggested, I could have used a listing like this back then. ;))

If I understand your thought of "strip bars" being "hooker hangouts" then you could be right in some places. I'm sure some dancers are available for "other things". But illegal things go on in Walmart bathrooms, too... and in parks for that matter. That is beyond our control. And yes, in places were the prostitution is acceptable, the strip bars tend to be a bit more wild. Even some "regular" bars get wild. I have a nice memory of sitting in a Hooters in Amsterdam with some co-workers when suddenly the bar tender jumped onto the bar and danced topless when her favorite song came up on the juke box. Things like that are a bit looser there, I guess. So being the international activity that this will be, different regions will have a different level of what is acceptabloe and what is not. Oregon has strip bars that are full nude and serve alcohol (and steaks... mmmmm). Arizona has full nude with no alcohol OR topless with alcohol. I think it was in Minesota where the dancers were behind a glass window and the "tips" were slid through a tiny slot at the bottom (not much fun in my opinion).

But I digress, in my opinion, if the activity is legal at the location the waymark is posted, there really shouldn't be a problem making the category. I understand that some activities are legal in one state or country and not in others and that might present an issue for some. But keep in mind that this type of stipulation could affect other, less offensive activies as well. One thing that comes to mind is the various "dry" counties through-out the US. They might not be able to log any "bar" or "liquor store" waymarks. But the category has support by others.

Oh, and I would not want you to view this as "arguing"... my vote has been cast as well. (in case anyone missed it... it was YES.)

Edited by mini cacher

I will remark about those who repeatedly try to group apples and oranges in the same bag.

If I understand your thought of "strip bars" being "hooker hangouts" then you could be right in some places. I'm sure some dancers are available for "other things".

Prostitution, at least in the US, is generally an illegal business and probably should not be listed here.

...if the activity is legal at the location the waymark is posted, there really shouldn't be a problem making the category.

For future reference, it would help your cause a great deal if you would take a moment and choose which side of your mouth you're going to talk out of.

I apologize for responding to your original comment to me, I didn't realize you were trolling.

Please carry on without me.

Any "other things" that dancer may be available for that are illegal has nothing to do with the place they work. As I said (which you decided not to quote, though it was clearly part of the point) illegal things go on in Walmart bathrooms, too. I know you can get things real cheap there but I would not call Walmart a "hooker hangout" though.

Prostitution is not legal here in the US... and probably should not be listed. It is legal in other places... so probably could be listed.

No trolling and no two-sided mouth here at all. I fail to see your point of that last post. But since you've given up and moved on then I guess I won't expect you to make a point. You can't expect to come in, say some things that you know people will disagree with and have no one respond to it just because you wrap it up with "Said my piece, not going to argue about it, take it or leave it."

PS: Said my piece, not going to argue about it, take it or leave it... so I expect you to not respond. :(

Edited by mini cacher