Coin Making

twjolson & Kay

The problem I'm running into is that I don't need hundreds of these coins, just a couple dozen maybe. So for me to pay for a die, and have at least a hundred stamped will cost me 300+ dollars. It's just not worth it.

Can anyone point me towards a cheaper option? Making my own, or another cheap token to give away in a cache?

we are using Coins For Anything, as have several others here. Their pricing is here.

gc.com tracking is extra.

Good luck with your coin project!

:)

edit: here is a post from ladycacher about her experience. we're still waiting for ours to arrive! any day now...

Just as an FYI CFAs web pricing is higher than what is typically quoted. Prices on website are an estimate. They do this so their competition doesn't know their real pricing structure.

The problem I'm running into is that I don't need hundreds of these coins, just a couple dozen maybe. So for me to pay for a die, and have at least a hundred stamped will cost me 300+ dollars. It's just not worth it.

Can anyone point me towards a cheaper option? Making my own, or another cheap token to give away in a cache?

As with almost anything customized, quantity gets you a cheaper price. You might want to look into poker chips or wooden nickles if you're looking for a less expensive item. Again, minimum orders are typically 100 pieces tho.

Just as an FYI CFAs web pricing is higher than what is typically quoted. Prices on website are an estimate. They do this so their competition doesn't know their real pricing structure.

That seems odd. If you were price shopping, you might choose someone else. But their prices seem close to the prices on coinsandpins.com site (the last time I checked).

From reading these forums I think one might conclude that using coinsforanything.com or coinsandpins.com is going to be a positive experience regarding price, service and quality. It seems that KV coins competes reasonably well in the quality and price category - but not so well in the service.

FTR: My coins were made by coinsandpins.com

That seems odd.  If you were price shopping, you might choose someone else.  But their prices seem close to the prices on coinsandpins.com site (the last time I checked).

Just reporting the facts since my coins were .25 less per coin than posted pricing, and what I was told when I questioned the quote :)

Edited by AtlantaGal

gc.com tracking is extra.

How much extra and how do I go about getting the GC.com tracking option???

Unless it's changed, gc.com tracking is only available to geocaching groups and not individual coins (moun10bike is the ONLY exception). It's at least $1.50 per coin plus an annual fee.

Edited by AtlantaGal

The latest info I have from GC is individuals are trackable now and a minimum minting of 500. Groups are still in the 100 coin range. I think personals will all share 1 icon though. It will not be an individual like the state/group icons or the Moun10Bike icon which needs to remain an icon amongst icons.

I initially got the same response of from Groundspeak. That tracking was not allowed on Personal Coins, only on group coins. I responded with several reasons why I felt they should be allowed. With the help of an individual at Groundspeak, and Aaron Weed at coinsandpins.com who I was working with on a coin, a compromise was reached. They will now allow personal coins under a generic "Personal Coin" Icon with all coins using a "PC" prefix.

The minimum order for tracking numbers, for personal coins only, was reduced from 1000 to 500. So in order to track them, you must pay for a minimum of 500 numbers @ $1.50 each. I hope that clarifies. If anyone has other questions, just send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to answer whatever I can.