Category Proposal: Windmills

I would like to propose at category for Waymarking..

A Category for Windmills should be created.

There is such a range of types of windmills in the world that they deserve a dedicated inclusive category. Some windmills are open for tours (In Holland). Others suddenly appear as you are diving in the desert. Photographs and information about the age, type, operating principal, etc would be interesting reading.

Windmill Farms could be located as a group.

There is a Locationless cache for Four Bladed Windmills. I think this is a great category and should be expanded

Comments??

MontytheMule

Edited by montythemule

All windmills. The Electric Generator types in Germany and Holland are super huge and super impressive. If the category is too broad the further subcategories could be made I suppose. Windmill farms (like in California) could be a subcategory, Vertical Axis Type, AerMotor Type etc. Some in West Texas are lonly and deserted sentinals that deserve to be recognized. But I digress

Wind farms are quite common around our parts. How would you group these. I don't know what installation I'm looking at when I'm driving around? All I know is that I see a lot of windmills all around me.

Are we required to post a sign indicating the owner of the installation? Not sure if these signs even exist? I guess there should be a gated access road in to the windmills with a "DANGER, DUCK" sign?

Great idea though! I'm all for it!

Living in a land legendary for windmills (and dykes) (nearly living in a windmill museum) I would not want decorative windmills to be included.

That should be different category: garden decorations (together with gnomes etc.) or something.

But I should include a category 'have been windmills". We have here a lot around (round stone towers) without fanblades and being out of use.

I agree to windmills as a general category with some subcategories like the traditional Dutch four blade type, the modern windmill farm or electric generating, unusual ones like vertical axis, the western multiblade water wind mills, etc... whatever! Sounds good to me!