Category Proposal: Local Historic Places

OK, I'll be a guinea pig for this process . . . .

Name: Local Historic Registry Sites

Description: Sites registered on a city or county Register of Historic Places

Directory: Places > Historic Places

Everyone knows about the National Register of Historic Places, but many towns, city, and counties have their own corresponding registry of historic sites. These sites are typically of local significance, and often do not qualify for the relatively stringent listing requirements of the National Register. Many people do not even realize that there is often a local historic register.

For my multi-cache GCG5QZ - ZooKeeper's History Tour #1, for example, I selected six sites in Kane County, Illinois, that are listed on the Kane County Register of Historic Places. These are but a few of the several dozen registered historic sites in the county. (Hence "Tour #1"; I haven't had time to do #2, #3, . . . .) The sites listed in that cache description are the types of sites that would become waymarks in this category.

Waymarks listed in this category must include the name of the local registry; where available, a URL link to the registry should be provided. A picture of the site should be uploaded when the waymark is listed.

(Did I do this right? :rolleyes: )

Edited by WascoZooKeeper
I know that in the past there has been two locationless with the same theme. Have they been archived? I looked around but couldn't find them right off.

There seem to be TWO locationless for the National Register (GC43BE and GC4E8D), and several state locationless of some flavor (Nevada, Ohio, Georgia, Montana highways). I didn't see anything specific to local registers.

As the owner of the Historic Markers waymark category, I enthusiastically support this expansion of the use of Waymarking for history buffs. Some places on a historic registry have a big marker sign in front of them, but many more don't. These would be fun places to share with other waymarkers. And if there IS an official marker sign, then you can log two waymark finds!

I think the distinction from the existing locationless caches is that they are based on the NATIONAL Registry of Historic Places, not a local registry.

How about making a Historic marker category and makeing subcategories by state then by city.

This was discussed a bit during the initial beta. The idea is that subcategories based on location are not needed because you can use the filters to only return waymarks based on location.

That is, you can set a filter to only return waymarks within the state of California.

Subcategories like that would be redundant.

How about making a Historic marker category and makeing subcategories by state then by city.

I asked this question during beta testing. The philosophy is not to have a zillion subcategories. The coordinate searches will return waymarks of interest in the area you're visiting, regardless of which side of a state or national border they're on.

I've updated my original post:

-- to indicate that when a new waymark is listed, a photo of the historic site should be included (this is in the original listing itself; logs might not necessarily have to have a new photo uploaded)

-- to refine the directory placement as "Places > Historic Places" (was originally specified as just "Places")

Edited by WascoZooKeeper