Gc Without Printed Paper

ATMA

Are you a premium member? I am thinking about doing this so I can go to the paperless cache. From what I read somewhere, a premium member can download some sort of file then convert it to a Palm ready file. Once this Palm ready file is loaded into the Palm, it will show the same thing as the web page on a cache will.

I am looking for some information regarding putting the cache information into a Palm Pilot. I would love to see a screen shot or even a digital photo of what the Palm screen will look like with the information loaded onto it.

Can someone that does this already help me? Maybe even email a Palm ready file of a cache that I can have a look at. Thanks in advance for any information.

Edited by ATMA

The two best parts of Cachemate in the field for me (other than being able to look at all of the cache data, and search for nearby caches by location, name, or waypoint #) are the Overview Screen and the log. The overview gives you all of the info (including the decrypted hint if you want) all on one scolling screen). No fumbling around trying to find all the info. The second is the log screen that lets me put all of my info in about my hunt, Takes, Leaves, TB's, thought's etc.

Plus you can look at past logs to see if folks had any difficulty finding it.

Cachemate plus a palm - the best $8 you'll spend in geocaching!

While you are at it, try out GSAK also, to manage all of the waypoint files you are going to get from your Pocket Queries. And GSAK will send out the files in a format that can be read by cachemate.

Gotta second the Cachemate program. I'm pretty new to this whole caching thing. I use my Lowerance iFinder with a Palm Tungsten C. I joined the premium thing here so I get my pocket queries, load them into GSAK, fiddle around with them then export to Cachemate and organize them in the Palm. (I also load the waypoints into my GPS...but, uhh, duh..) ;-) I've never carried a piece of paper with my while cacheing. Pretty nice....of course, I look kind of uber geeky with my Palm, GPS, cell phone, water bottle and compass hanging off my waist...:-)

BTW, with your Palm, you can join Advantgo.com and set up a channel on your Palm so everytime you "sync" it with your PC, it puts a color (Mapquest) type map on your Palm as well. Look up your cache in Cachemate, read about it, then load up your Advantgo and look at a color map. Pretty neat really.

Dondo

I really like Plucker a lot. The only thing I would like in Plucker that isn't there is the ability to have ALL the logs show for each cache. Of course, it only shows what is displayed on the actual web page and that defaults to only a few of the logs. From the animated demo of Cachemate shown here it seems to me that I'll be happier sticking with Plucker.

I use a pocket PC (HP iPAQ) that lets me download directly from GSAK in HTML format including graphics, text - everything. . . takes only seconds to load 1000 caches - can't be sweeter than this!

Yea, give it a try, go premium, the value is definately there. Used to lug reams of paper into the woods, lost some - what a mess. The paper savings and convenience pay the light premium fee - it is a super deal! Everything you need is in your hand . . . do recommend a hard metal case for the unit though.

GA

Thanks a lot for the input so far. We are using Advantgo on the Palms now but have no idea how to get the maps. So far we use it for the weather and some newspapers. We will use an extra Palm 505 for this. Now I wish I had picked up that clearanced hard shell case for $5.

Some members have offered direct help and one is sending me a DOC format help file of some sort.

As things progress, I will update this thread. I really do appreciate the help so far.

Edited by ATMA

There's probably about a half dozen ways to do what you want. Try them out and pick one that works for you. Some methods will require fees for registering software (e.g., cachemate, GSAK) and some can be done entirely free of charge (e.g., spinner + plucker). Best of luck, and there are a lot of people doing 'paperless' now, so you should be able to find help for whatever method you pick.

Spinner is our choice! It is very easy to use. With an HP PDA you don't need Plucker.

You can also create a list of your finds as you go from cache to cache by cut & pasting the cache link (underlined or highlighted GC number and name) to an Excel spreadsheet in the HP, then download the spreadsheet to your computer when you get home. Then click on each link in the spreadsheet list to log your entries in the order visited.

hello

tis me the old bald headed archie

i own 4 palm IIIxe palm pilots. cachemate and mobi pocket reader are on 1 of them. i use cachemate religiously and the mobipocket reader for referencing.

i personally feel i could not geocache without cachemate of the reader.

on my 2nd palm pilot i haveall ofmy national map corps stuff on it and i use adobe reader for palm os 4. adobe reader for palm os is a free download and is fully compatible with windows xp. with the adobe reader for palm i can download map displays and such. and can sync with my desktop easily.

with most palm pilots like the IIIxe they may coast as little as 29.95 on ebay or as much as 60.00 on ebay. if you get one from ebay you need to make certain that palm OS 4 is installed on them. cachemate is set up to run on palm OS 4.

the least expansive palm IIIxe's will usually have palm OS 3 or 3,5,3 or 3.5 versions on them. in which case to upgrade them to OS 4 you have to purchase the Palm OS 4 upgrade cd. that will cost 8.00 to as much as 12.00. cachemate will run on palm OS 3.5 but nothing less, OS 4 in my opinion is better for running cachemate and mobipocket reader.

paperless caching is great!!!!! try it out.

regards

archie

in ref to avant go

the maps and such do work well on the palm IIIxe...but if you use the palm tungsten c or other wireless capable pda check out the jwire channel. it will locate wifi spots quite quickly and accurately.

i use avantgo on my palm IIIxe that is set up for internet use. the only draw bavk is that it is dial up but works fine for checking email and such.

on that particular palm i can dowload geocaching.coms web pages and forums and all i need is a phone jack. if i need a map page i got it.

regards

archie

I use a pocket PC (HP iPAQ) that lets me download directly from GSAK in HTML format including graphics, text - everything. . . takes only seconds to load 1000 caches - can't be sweeter than this!

Yea, give it a try, go premium, the value is definately there. Used to lug reams of paper into the woods, lost some - what a mess. The paper savings and convenience pay the light premium fee - it is a super deal! Everything you need is in your hand . . . do recommend a hard metal case for the unit though.

GA

Yup, me too. I just copy my GPX file onto my Pocket PC and I'm ready to go. How sweet it is... =)

I got CacheMate tonight and this is a great program. Some testing using LOC files proves it will be just what we are looking for.

Before signing up as a premium member, I would like to try a GPX file.

Could someone send me the GPX file of Cache GCQ18V so I can see what it is going to look like?

I appreciate any help I can get on this one.

The first to do it, please reply to this post so others wont duplicate their efforts.

Thanks!

Before signing up as a premium member, I would like to try a GPX file.

Could someone send me the GPX file of Cache GCQ18V so I can see what it is going to look like?

I appreciate any help I can get on this one.

The first to do it, please reply to this post so others wont duplicate their efforts.

Thanks!

From a single cache, you can create it yourself directly from the cachepage

Look at "Click icon to download:" and choose GPS Exchange file.

I think that in order to get the GPX version of a cache I would have to be a preimum member. I can just get the .LOC version at the moment.

Still looking for a .GPX file so I can see what it is going to look like on the Palm once I do, if I do decide to become a premium member.

Sorry . . . you'll have to spend the $3.00 to become a Premium member for a month. It would violate the Premium Membership agreement to share a .gpx file with someone else.

Trust me, it is well worth the money.

Cachemate on the Palm and GSAK on the PC is a great combination.

OK, rules will be rules. It would be cool to see a "sample" GPX file, real or not for other wanting to see the big one before signing up. When I do sign up it will be for a year.

Where can I find some information on the GSAK you refer too? I have seen it mentioned but dont yet have a clue as to what it does.

You can download GSAK here.

What the .gpx file contains is the cache description as well as the hint so all that information can be shown in Cachemate, if that is the program you use on your Palm.

GSAK is an incredibly powerful database program for working with the caches you download individually from the cache page itself, or from Pocket Queries which you can set up when you become a Premium Member.

You can get up to 500 caches in each Pocket Query, and you can have as many as 20 different PQs.

Check out the big GSAK thread in the GPS Units and Software Forum.

OK, rules will be rules. It would be cool to see a "sample" GPX file, real or not for other wanting to see the big one before signing up. When I do sign up it will be for a year.

Where can I find some information on the GSAK you refer too? I have seen it mentioned but dont yet have a clue as to what it does.

GSAK includes a sample GPX file.

GSAK FAQ #1

Yes, late last night I entered the code in for the paid version of CacheMate. So far the program looks like a really good one. I like the feature they have there that allows different named data bases. This feature will probably come in real handy.

I will go have a look a GSAK now and thanks for the link to it.

GSAK includes a sample GPX file.

GSAK FAQ #1

This is great to know. I am not trying to steal anything from anyone. I just need a GPX file. It really doesnt matter which one it is. Just want to see how CacheMate will handle it.

Thanks for the information letting me know this GSAK site has a sample. This should do what I am looking to do just fine.

So, now it is off to GSAK!

I received a sample GPX and it works great. CacheMate with a Palm and a GPX file is just what we need to go paperless.

Later on this evening I will look into the GSAK program and consider this as well. I have not downloaded it yet but did look at the screen shot. Looks like a good program too.

Thanks to all that have helped me on this one.