To All Premium Members

Just so you know when visiting this new section of the forums, the Waymarking site is currently in an early Beta. Tonight we sent out emails to all locationless owners to invite them to convert their listings to waymark categories.

In the next two weeks we will be slowly rolling out the site and announcing it. We assumed that the locationless cache owners would spill the beans on the site so instead of having it spill over to the general forum, we created the section here to discuss it. Please keep all discussions of Waymarking to this forum.

It's so new, with so many new words, that It's making me confused. But that's easy to do. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to understand some of it, after looking through it for the last hour, and what I do understand, I really like.

I own two locationles, but I'm not going to make any commitments until I understand everything a little better.

It's exciting to see what all of you have been working on for so long! Thanks for the hard work! <_<

Two comments, one a general one, and one a more controversial request.

I like it. I like the fact it can become a general "tourist" tool, you know you will be visiting an area and you can have a quick look around to see interesting places to go visit. This site should be marketed very generally and widely on the internet, it will no doubt have a much more receptive general audience than just geocachers.

On top of that you layer the game of finding and logging as finds, it's like Google Maps with a fun point :)

--

One aside.. how about including your waypoints find / hide score on your geocaching user stats page somewhere..(and probably vice versa) but not included this in your total (*) score, but treat it like benchmarks / TG counts. This may add to the motivation for people to log finds and I like the idea of a one-stop page for numbers. Even though, we all know it ISN'T about the numbers.

Thanks Groundspeak, looks like a great site.

One aside.. how about including your waypoints find / hide score on your geocaching user stats page somewhere..(and probably vice versa) but not included this in your total (*) score, but treat it like benchmarks / TG counts. This may add to the motivation for people to log finds and I like the idea of a one-stop page for numbers. Even though, we all know it ISN'T about the numbers.

I'm in agreement; I think it would be a nice touch to tie the two sites together by linking one's profile from Waymarking.com on a GC.com profile, and vice versa, as suggested by maingray. Thanks for the new game...since no one is hiding new caches in my area, this opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for me. :)

I'm in agreement; I think it would be a nice touch to tie the two sites together by linking one's profile from Waymarking.com on a GC.com profile, and vice versa, as suggested by maingray. Thanks for the new game...since no one is hiding new caches in my area, this opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for me. :)

I agree. It would be nice if one profile told both stories; the stats shouldn't be combined, but treated seperatly and displayed side by side (like benchmarks).

Actually, since I haven't logged any waymarks yet, I don't know that this doesn't already happen.

The site looks nice. I hope it works as well as it looks. :):(

I'm in agreement; I think it would be a nice touch to tie the two sites together by linking one's profile from Waymarking.com on a GC.com profile, and vice versa, as suggested by maingray. Thanks for the new game...since no one is hiding new caches in my area, this opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for me. :P

I agree. It would be nice if one profile told both stories; the stats shouldn't be combined, but treated seperatly and displayed side by side (like benchmarks).

Actually, since I haven't logged any waymarks yet, I don't know that this doesn't already happen.

The site looks nice. I hope it works as well as it looks. ;);)

It doesn't happen yet. At least it's not showing my waymarks that I've submitted. I haven't logged my own, basically because I'm doing this in reverse order. When I go back to some of my waymarks, I'll then log them.

I'm in agreement with the tallys in the user stats. Submitting a waymark could be treated as a "hide" while logging and existing waymark would be treated as a "visit" as Jeremy likes to call them.

Thanks for all the hard work. I think this will open up many great places to visit, especially in the National Parks. Thanks again. :P

Ditto to what Pat said...This looks very intriguing and I am looking forward to trying it out!

As a frequent traveler, I think this will really come in handy! Will we be able to search outside of the USA? If so, will it be by post code as well?

Awesome job to all who worked on this!

We looked at 'our page' and saw our E-Mail address shown. We could not find where we go to see how others actually see it. It should be the " Send Message" only. How do we check if this is what everyone sees?

We can do this on GC.com but are at a loss as to how to the same for Waymarking.com.

Also, we really want to know where the benchmark hunting is going to go and why.

Jeremy, I think you need to go read the "Change is in the Wind" thread on the benchmark hunting forums. We are all rather upset by what might happen.

Thank you for any & all answers.

Sincerely,

Shirley of 2oldfarts~

:ph34r: Seem confusing and that anything on earth can be logged. Locationless were odd and interesting places to search for. Waymarking would list all "bars", all "Mcdonalds", etc. It's not much interesting to me. I could log hundreds of places just around my city. What's the point?

I would remove general locations, such as "fire stations", from Locationless and move them to Waymarking but keep Locationless to log odd and interesting places to search while doing regular geocaching.

CLRL

:ph34r: Seem confusing and that anything on earth can be logged.

That statement doesn't seem confusing at all.

Locationless were odd and interesting places to search for. Waymarking would list all "bars", all "Mcdonalds", etc. It's not much interesting to me. I could log hundreds of places just around my city. What's the point?

The point is that what you think is interesting and what someone else thinks is interesting is different. If you don't want to find McDonalds don't do a search on them. Same goes for bars. In fact I think it would be better if you didn't post a waymark for something you don't like. Leave it to someone else who would put together a thoughtful waymark.

I would remove general locations, such as "fire stations", from Locationless and move them to Waymarking but keep Locationless to log odd and interesting places to search while doing regular geocaching.

What is odd or interesting? Some people find fire stations very interesting. Who are you to judge the interests of another person?

Edited by Jeremy

Looks OK, but for me, I have no problem admitting it is ALL about the numbers. I'm not in any great contest with anyone; it's just an issue of personal goals. Each milestone just makes it that much more interesting to try to rack up enough numbers to make it to the next milestone. That said--if it doesn't count toward my numbers, it takes all the fun out of it for me. I love doing locationless caches. It's a high tech scavenger hunt that I enjoy as much as the straight treasure hunt of Geocaching. But if it won't count toward my numbers, it just doesn't have the same thrill anymore. :D

Edited by Team RedCow

I've spent some time today on Waymarking.com. It's fine, and I think that you've taken a great deal of time to get this up and running. It takes a lot of work, and you can't please everyone!

I must agree, however, that for me right now on my one year anniversary of geocaching, that I'm still pretty much about the numbers. Here in So Cal, I'm trying to "catch up" with my new found friends.

I love virtuals, they take me cool places. But if they go to the new site, and won't go along with my numbers, then I may not concentrate on the new site, much the way I don't concentrate on benchmarking.

If there's a way to combine the numbers, then okay, I'm in. If not, I'll be quiet and sit on the side line and watch while I go off searching for tupperware type containers and ammo cans.

Thanks for the really hard and great work you guys have done making this site up'n go.

I’ve already got one waymark approved, and am now awaiting approval for a subcategory proposal. (Hopefully I posted it in the correct forum!)

Edited by Johela

Thanks for the really hard and great work you guys have done making this site up'n go.

I’ve already got one waymark approved, and am no awaiting approval for a subcategory proposal. (Hopefully I posted it in the correct forum!)

They aren't accepting new waymark categor proposals for the time being with the exception of locationless cache owners who move their caches here.

I’ve already got one waymark approved, and am now awaiting approval for a subcategory proposal. (Hopefully I posted it in the correct forum!)

They aren't accepting new waymark categor proposals for the time being with the exception of locationless cache owners who move their caches here.

I know, but sooner or later they will accept and I just wanna be sure they're looking my way cause I really want this proposal approved. :lol:

Edited by Johela
I love virtuals, they take me cool places.  But if they go to the new site, and won't go along with my numbers, then I may not concentrate on the new site, much the way I don't concentrate on benchmarking.

If there's a way to combine the numbers, then okay, I'm in.  If not, I'll be quiet and sit on the side line and watch while I go off searching for tupperware type containers and ammo cans.

I agree. Here's an idea: Why not allow virtuals or earthcaches to also qualify as a geocache and show those finds in your geocaching stats page? To me if you can cleverly blend the two sights the waymarkers will learn about geocaching and visa versa. I still don't think that a geocache needs to have happy meal toys inside an ammo box to qualify as as a geocache! :blink:

On another note, I do like the idea of being able to find spots like great microbreweries when I'm traveling by using the Waymarking site. But unless the geocaching and Waymarking sites are integrated, I will use Waymarking as a resource like Google. For that matter, if Waymarking takes off, Waymarking seems like something that Google may want to acquire someday...

:D Seem confusing and that anything on earth can be logged.

Locationless were odd and interesting places to search for. Waymarking would list all "bars", all "Mcdonalds", etc. It's not much interesting to me. I could log hundreds of places just around my city. What's the point?

The point is that what you think is interesting and what someone else thinks is interesting is different. If you don't want to find McDonalds don't do a search on them. Same goes for bars. In fact I think it would be better if you didn't post a waymark for something you don't like. Leave it to someone else who would put together a thoughtful waymark.

What is odd or interesting? Some people find fire stations very interesting. Who are you to judge the interests of another person?

I agree with Jermey!

This is a great website and I am looking forward to getting involved. I have one Waymark in the webcam category that I am awaiting approval on and I have an idea for a subcatagory that as soon as I figure out how to report those then I will do that.

This weekend I even plan on logging a few waymark finds.

One question: Can the stats that you get be logging waymarks be put onto your GC stats. It doesn't have to be EVERY SINGLE icon that you find, but just an icon entitled "Waymarks" They can be under total finds, and total hides.

If GC profiles are connected to Waymark profiles, then there should be a connection with the stats.

:laughing: Seem confusing and that anything on earth can be logged.

I agree with Jermey!

This is a great website and I am looking forward to getting involved. I have one Waymark in the webcam category that I am awaiting approval on and I have an idea for a subcatagory that as soon as I figure out how to report those then I will do that.

This weekend I even plan on logging a few waymark finds.

One question: Can the stats that you get be logging waymarks be put onto your GC stats. It doesn't have to be EVERY SINGLE icon that you find, but just an icon entitled "Waymarks" They can be under total finds, and total hides.

If GC profiles are connected to Waymark profiles, then there should be a connection with the stats.

I'm gradually finding my way around the "Waymarking" site and concept. The idea that "anything" is fair game seems to be an inevitable conclusion. Let's all locate and write about the things that interest us.

What about the problem solving that was part of many of the Virtual caches? Ama and I always love solving a puzzle or answering a question. Any chance that this idea will become part of waymarks? I also think emailing answers to the originator of the waymark is a good way to encourage dialogue.

So, it's been almost 6 months since the Beta Test of Waymarking started.

Any idea when this will be a full usable site like Geocaching.com is?

Although there are many things that people have been requesting..... I think the main problem is that Waymarking was hailed as the replacement for Virtual and Locationless Caches.

So far, it is neither....

Old Way (aka Geocaching.com).... "Hey this would be a really cool Virtual".... "Not unique enough eh? Place a micro...okay"

New Way (aka Waymarking.com)... "Hey this would be a really cool Waymark".... "No Catagory for that yet eh? Post a Catagory request in the We aren't accepting any proposals area.... Yeah.. place a micro"

Doesn't seem like this has replaced Virtuals or Locationless... since most people still cannot get anything approved/listed that doesn't fit the pre-existing cookie-cutter Catagory list. Still seems like more reason to not list things, but now we get to see other things and wonder why those were good enough to become Catagories.

Have TPTB given up on Waymarking? It's starting to look that way, and it's starting to look like the people that were once interested in it have given up too.

I still believe Waymarking can succeed, but there has to be some progress reports beyond the "We're really close to...." and then nothing happens.

Gee,I feel like I'm at work.

;) The Blue Quasar

Well I for one am loving the site. It is exactly that. A wonderful replacement of Virtuals and locationless caches. I have been able to create 195 waymarks to date, and own one category that was proposed in the forums. The discussion that followed in the forums is why it became a category. There have been many many others that have been taken from the forums to become categories. Everyone of my 195 waymarks are like creating virtuals. The category I own is like owning a locationless. Once the group ownership part becomes live more categories will be able to be created. I do nto see a problem. I actually see an advantage. When you looked at the cache page for a locationless cache you had to scroll through the entire thing to see if it had been logged yet. Now each waymark or virtual location under the category is seen and can now be logged over and over again as finds. Which never could have occurred on gc.com. You can even do an advanced search by state etc. This is a great improvement over the old locationless as there was no way to see where they were from without reading and scrolling. For instance an advanced search for lighthouses will bring up lighthouses by state. When they were locationless caches you did not have this ability. This was very disappointing. Another example if you found a lion statue for example and took the time to take a photo and coords only to discover you could not add it to the site because it was already there. Very Frustrating. Now if it is already a waymark you can just log a find and everyone else can too. MUCH BETTER. The Blue Quasar said "... and it's starting to look like the people that were once interested in it have given up too." I can not see how you think at all. I have been here from the beginning and am only getting more exicted over the possibilities daily. I also email several other cachers regular;y who are also creating waymarks daily. Be patient remember one month ago TPTB said it could take three more months or so, and it has only been 1 month. Get busy creating those waymarks which do replace virtuals, like I and many, many others have been doing.

Edited by chstress53

Well I for one am loving the site. It is exactly that. A wonderful replacement of Virtuals and locationless caches. I have been able to create 195 waymarks to date, and own one category that was proposed in the forums. The discussion that followed in the forums is why it became a category. There have been many many others that have been taken from the forums to become categories. Everyone of my 195 waymarks are like creating virtuals. The category I own is like owning a locationless. Once the group ownership part becomes live more categories will be able to be created. I do nto see a problem. I actually see an advantage. When you looked at the cache page for a locationless cache you had to scroll through the entire thing to see if it had been logged yet. Now each waymark or virtual location under the category is seen and can now be logged over and over again as finds. Which never could have occurred on gc.com. You can even do an advanced search by state etc. This is a great improvement over the old locationless as there was no way to see where they were from without reading and scrolling. For instance an advanced search for lighthouses will bring up lighthouses by state. When they were locationless caches you did not have this ability. This was very disappointing. Another example if you found a lion statue for example and took the time to take a photo and coords only to discover you could not add it to the site because it was already there. Very Frustrating. Now if it is already a waymark you can just log a find and everyone else can too. MUCH BETTER. The Blue Quasar said "... and it's starting to look like the people that were once interested in it have given up too." I can not see how you think at all. I have been here from the beginning and am only getting more exicted over the possibilities daily. I also email several other cachers regular;y who are also creating waymarks daily. Be patient remember one month ago TPTB said it could take three more months or so, and it has only been 1 month. Get busy creating those waymarks which do replace virtuals, like I and many, many others have been doing.

AHHH! for more Spare time!!!

The purpose of Spare Time is to improve knowledge about existing recreation and leisure opportunities like more waymarks and to increase awareness about locations relative to recreation and leisure participation.

I totally understand what you are saying. For me, the problem is that no one in my area has any interest in Waymarking. I think it's a great alternative to Geocaching.

I've placed around a dozen Waymarks, and getting no action for the most part. It's basically been one guy visits mine, and I visit his.

Being rather active in our Geocaching community, I still can't get people to go see the Waymarks. They've told me why and I understand their reasons even though I don't agree with them.

We can't add the Catagories that interest us, and that is putting a strangle hold on development. I understand the idea, but it doesn't help make it easier to promote it.

The other thing is promotion of Waymarking. The addition of the "Nearby Waymarks" on the Cache pages was a good start, what else can be added to raise awareness.

Maybe the problem is me.. I'm used to seeing the big rush of Geocachers heading out to find the newest cache. That isn't happening to Waymarking... maybe in time it will. Maybe I've just expected the same reaction to new Waymarks, but it's still early.

:blink: The Blue Quasar

I still believe Waymarking can succeed, but there has to be some progress reports beyond the "We're really close to...." and then nothing happens.

Just last week in the Geocaching.com Forum, Jeremy mentioned that they're on target for rolling out the group category management concept around the end of February. As I understand it, other enhancements -- like a more open ability to propose and add new Waymarking categories -- are on hold pending the implementation of a more workable group management function.

Having singlehandedly reviewed nearly 400 waymarks, all within days of their submission, while seeing firsthand how other category managers sometimes take months to list my own submissions, I have to say that this is a wise approach. I am looking forward to having some help in managing my categories.

Put me in Coach... I'm ready. I'm just looking for a chance Coach.

Gee reviewing over 400 Waymarks... that must take a lot of time... good thing the local reviewer doesn't have to look at all those Waymarks on top of the Caches they have to do as well.

Do you hear that dripping?

I didn't see the Group Ownership thingy you mentioned as I only look in 3 Forums (Web Site, Canada, Waymarking). Thank for the update.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

A little intimidated to post here, but would like to add the "average participating" geocaching family 2 cents:

We've been discussing the new arrangement in our local SoCal circle of cachers and honestly, most don't like the separate website at first glance. However, after hearing from those that know more than we do, and in the spirit of giving things a chance, my family may slowly find its way into participating. We have seen too many very cool things across the country almost entirely because of virtuals to think of never looking for them again.

If the logistics are such that we "average" cachers just can't grasp an understanding as to why things have to change and this is the only way to do things, I think you will find many happier and appeased cachers if there was a way to tie the two sites together. It would be great if waymarks could still show up on the cache maps as that is how many of us plan trips and outings. It would also be great if one profile worked for both sites and if at least virtuals counted as "finds" and "hides". I would almost even trade virtuals counting for no locationless caches. (Although my family will tell you the coolest "find" we have is helping a turtle cross the road which we would have never done without the locationless cache - of course, now we save all turtles, just hadn't thought to do such a thing!) Many will say it's about the adventure and not the numbers, but on some days it is about the numbers for many (if not most) of us and some days its not. It's more like "collecting finds" than racing anyone, so many of us would be much more likely to log finds if they counted in our stats.

I will encourage others to read and post here so you get more supoprt making your members happy by finding the best possible solution for all. Thanks!

-MamaFish of Hot Cup of Cold Fish

Hot Cup of Cold Fish SAID "It would be great if waymarks could still show up on the cache maps as that is how many of us plan trips and outings."

they do:

tHIS IS TAKEN FROM A CACHE PAGE, wHEN YOU CLICK ON ALL NEARBY WAYMARKS YOU GET ALL NEARBY WAYMARKS!!!!

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found

...all nearby caches, that I haven't found

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

...all nearby placenames

...all nearby benchmarks

...all nearby hiking trails from Trails.com