Artman's Disk

Spoo

A Reference Triangulation Station.

Original Data sheet has a clue.

DESCRIBED BY US NAVY 1918

''STATION LOCATED ON COLONIAL BEACH, VIRGINIA, N END OF BOARDWALK.

''THIS STATION REPLACES LOST C. AND G.S. STATION WHITE POINT 2, IS

''MARKED BY A PERMANENT MARKER ABOUT 100 FEET FROM THE WATERS EDGE

''AND IS ABOUT 30 FEET HIGH.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1
From the 1954 recovery log "A TRAVERSE CONNECTION WAS MADE FROM TRIANGULATION STATION 11 OFFSET AND THE DISTANCE IS 44.101 METERS (144.69 FEET)."

As I mentioned in the other thread, I didn't really take careful notice of where the arrow was pointing at the time. I never even noticed the arrow until I looked at the photo. But I believe the arrow was pointing directly toward the Potomac River. The datasheet for nearby station HV7070 does make reference to this station, Admiral 11. But unless I am very much mistaken — and it's entirely possible — the arrow is not pointing there.

-ArtMan-

The arrow, of course, pointed to this nearby attraction, mentioned in one of the recovery notes:

525 FEET N OF PALM GARDEN REFRESHMENT PARLOR.........

Really! Where did you think ArtMan got the beer? He followed the arrow! :rolleyes:

-Paul-

HV7066 is possibly a weird situation.

The arrow on the disk seems to indicate that it is a reference disk.

The description for HV7071 says that "ADMIRAL II (B OF0) 1918 IS USED AS A REFERENCE MARK". I speculate that this means that it is a reference mark to HV7071. The arrow of HV7066 is probably pointing toward HV7071, not HV7070.

The monumentation date of HV7071 is 1954, the same date when HV7066's description said "THE MARK IS NOW STAMPED NO 11 ADMIRAL." The new stamping could've been added to the old disk but the arrow and triangle don't have an added look. I wonder if this disk is a reset from 1954, not 1918. Perhaps the CGS and the Bureau of Ordnance set both HV7071 and HV7066 at the same time. Would the CGS have stamped the arrow and "NO 11 ADMIRAL" on the Bureau of Ordnance's disk?

(The 1918 description says the mark is 30 feet high. I'm speculating they must've meant 3.0 feet.)

I would venture a guess that it was placed by the Navy in 1918, unstamped. It would appear to be a reference mark, but it is really hard to say. It seems to have been triangulated from the get go. It was said to replace a destroyed CGS station but there is nothing we can research on that. It does give a name however, so if someone wanted to write NGS and ask about Station WHITE POINT 2, near Admiral 11's coordinates they may have data on the lost station which may tell tale. The Station WHITE POINT 2, could not have been too old if it were a brass disc monumentation. 1918 was still a young age for brass discs... Perhaps that sidewalk was what did the previous station in. One can only wonder what the arrow may have been oriented towards in 1918.

It was triangulated to second order, meaning it must have had a good view of other stations, but no mention of a tower used for those observations.

It also has no references to recoveries in the 30's when the big push was on.

It has a nearby station assigned for use as an Azimuth Mark.

The Superseded control also suggests that the station was used in high order leveling in the NGVD 29 days as well.

The 1942 recovery does state the disc is "Not Stamped". The 1954 recovery discovers the stamping Admiral 11.

It has been certified as good for GPS Observations...

It is certainly unique, but I fear it does not tell us a lot about its mystery.

A cool find.

Rob

I just love armchair Benchmarking!

First, since the mark has an arrow on it, but no dot in the center, my guess is it is a Reference Marker, not a Triangulation Station Marker.

Artman, to confirm this, your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to find HV7076

HV7076'
HV7076'IT IS A BUREAU OF ORDNANCE REFERENCE MARK SET FLUSH AND STAMPED
HV7076'REF. STA. 9.
HV7076'

It was found in 2003 by USPSQD so should be an easy find

Then, you could try to find two Bureau of Ordnance Triangulation Stations with associated Reference Marks: HV7076 HV6943

Unfortunately, neither of these have been recovered in 40 years and may be lost. If you can find them, we can see if there is a difference between a B of O Triangulation and Reference Mark

HV7066 was not placed as a reference to HV7071, since HV7071 was not monumented until 1954.

If you can get this all done by next weekend, we would appreciate it. :)

HV7066 was not placed as a reference to HV7071, since HV7071 was not monumented until 1954.
True.

However, HV7071 says that HV7066 is its reference mark, and it even looks like a reference mark.

I'm thinking that HV7066 looked one way in 1918 and looks like it does now since 1954. Certainly the stamping isn't the same, according to the recovery note of 1954. Letters can be stamped on a monumented disk with a stamping set I assume, but I'm not convinced that the arrow was added to a 1918 disk.

Whether what we see now is the same physical disk as in 1918 is somewhat questionable.

It's a find, I believe, but some history seems to be missing from HV7066; probably a re-setting in 1954 or thereabouts.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

The Navy built observation towers along the Potomac. Inside the tower was a pipe holding a pedestal supporting a sighting instrument. One such tower was HV7070 11 NPG . Artman's reference marker, HV7066, was placed 50 meters away.

Another nearby tower is HV7077 9 NPG . It also has a B of O reference marker, HV7076 REF STA 9 . I bet the Navy put one of these reference markers near all of their towers.

Artman is going to find these markers for us this weekend, right? :)

Any guess as to what NPG stands for? Naval Proving Ground? Naval Pedestal Gear? There is a US NAVAL SURFACE WEAPONS CENTER shown nearby. Did they do live fire exercises here during the World Wars?

Edited by TerraVador

The Arrow with the Triangle is embossed and is original to the 1918 monumentation. What I mean is that the arrow is a factory stamping.

Let me say this again for clarification. This disc is where it is and has been since 1918.

Let me also clarify, (again) that it was unstamped in 1942, and found to be stamped in 1954. CGS personnel took no credit for having stamped it.

This station is both a Triangulation Station and a Bench Mark, As it has both kinds of Data Ascribed to it. The Data was collected and submitted to CGS back in the day. It met the requirements.

HV7066 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

HV7066 ___________________________________________________________________

HV7066* NAD 83(1993)- 38 15 22.05436(N) 076 57 42.61389(W) ADJUSTED

HV7066* NAVD 88 - 0.959 (meters) 3.15 (feet) ADJUSTED

HV7066 ___________________________________________________________________

It looks as if it may be a RM type disk, but this is not what NGS is using it for.

It would not be a reset, as the same monumentation would be rendered destroyed. you would not be able to intermix the data. It would be a start over with a new PID. Those are hard fast rules.

The 1942 recovery describes the station, unstamped:

HV7066 STATION RECOVERY (1942)

HV7066

HV7066'RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (WDP)

HV7066'THE FOLLOWING DISCREPANCIES WERE NOTED IN THE FIELD WITH THE U.S.

HV7066'COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY PUBLICATION DESCRIPTIONS OF

HV7066'TRIANGULATION STATIONS, POTOMAC RIVER, PART I, SMITH POINT TO

HV7066'PERSIMMON POINT, VIRGINIA AND MARYLAND--

HV7066'

HV7066'(1) DELETE ALL REFERENCES TO REFERENCE MARK. THE TREES IN WHICH

HV7066'THE MARKS WERE SET HAVE BEEN REMOVED.

HV7066'

HV7066'(2) 525 FEET N OF PALM GARDEN REFRESHMENT PARLOR, INSTEAD OF A FEW

HV7066'HUNDRED FEET ABOVE DANCING PAVILION.

HV7066'

HV7066'THE STATION IS LOCATED ON THE S SHORE OF THE POTOMAC RIVER AT

HV7066'COLONIAL BEACH, VIRGINIA, 525 FEET N OF THE PALM GARDEN

HV7066'REFRESHMENT PARLOR ON THE CONCRETE SEAWALK, ABOUT 50 FEET W OF THE

HV7066'MEAN HIGH-WATER LINE, AND 3 FEET E OF THE W EDGE OF THE WALK.

HV7066'

HV7066'THE STATION IS A BRONZE TRIANGULATION DISK OF THE BUREAU OF

HV7066'ORDNANCE, NOT STAMPED, SET FLUSH WITH THE CONCRETE SEAWALK. THE

HV7066'STATION IS IN GOOD CONDITION.

HV7066'

HV7066'BOTH REFERENCE MARKS HAVE BEEN DESTROYED. THE REFERENCE TREES

HV7066'HAVE BEEN REMOVED.

Rob