Geowoodstock 4 Information

9Key

GARRR Maties!!! Is the page up yet with the travel info: hotels car rentals flight discounts- would the travel agent that's getting the info together- please send me info- I've got the time off from work so now its time to plan!!!

I agree. I've got the time off, but I'd like to book myself a hotel in the area now.

When you make reservations you are not assigned a campsite. You will be assigned a site at the time of your arrival. I spoke with the Matt Shelly at Cedar Hills and he said that they will make every effort to put us all in the same area of the campgrounds but as of right now that area is not specific. See you all there!

Jeepers

Springfield, MO :lol:

Edited by jeepers2

At last weekend's Tulsa Area Geocacher's meeting seven cachers expressed a definite interest in going as a group. We have started a forum discussion on it at the new Okla cachers website, okgeo.org, if any Okla. cachers are interested in signing up to go with us. We're going to try and camp as a group and have two birthday's (mine and beatnik's) that weekend. Sounds like a blast. I'm making my reservations for all four days today!

Just made my res. and they charged me $20 per night for the campsite plus a $3 res. fee, which is still quite reasonable to me. Maybe the higher cost was because I have an RV but just FYI. I also saw that they allow two vehicles and up to four tents and eight people per site so bunch up if you want to save $$. There is also no place to note that you're part of the geocaching group so I went to the park website (can't get there direct from the reserveamerca website so use the park link) and e-mailed them direct, referred to my res # and dates and told them that way.

The nearby city of Waxahachie may be involved in a sponsorship role and we're having discussions about group rates there.

How is the hotel arrangement with Waxahachie going? I plan on nailing down my hotel and transportation arrangements sometime just after the holidays and need to know if there are any deals.

Edited by Turtle3863
Just made my res. and they charged me $20 per night for the campsite plus a $3 res. fee, which is still quite reasonable to me. Maybe the higher cost was because I have an RV but just FYI. I also saw that they allow two vehicles and up to four tents and eight people per site so bunch up if you want to save $$. There is also no place to note that you're part of the geocaching group so I went to the park website (can't get there direct from the reserveamerca website so use the park link) and e-mailed them direct, referred to my res # and dates and told them that way.

Yes, I did the same by contacting the park referring to my res #. Can't wait til the fun begins!! See you there Bloodhoundgrl! :D

I just tried to use 8356AE as a discount code with American Airlines and was told (this on the internet site, no human was involved) that it's not a valid code? I emailed sharonleetx a while back about hotel discounts, haven't heard. Went ahead and made Motel 6 reservations. Is there a site/event page up yet? any of this info (hotel, airline discounts) anyplace?

I checked the TX geo site thread just now, nothing there either. Except this 8356AE code, which American doesn't recognize?

Rooms at the BW in Irving near DFW have been booked for Team CHB. We'll be in town for almost a week, and decided a more central location to the many caches, BBQ joints, brew pubs, and the rest of the best that your area has to offer, was a higher priority than proximity to the park we'll be in for only a day or too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! ;)

Anyone know where we can rent a van with a longhorn on the front? ;)

DeSoto is right next to Cedar Hill, to the east.  You can take Belt Line Rd (FM 1382) through DeSoto, through Cedar Hill, all the way to Cedar Hill State Park.

Directions from DeSoto to Cedar Hill State Park

CacheSafari

(grad of DeSoto HS)

Oh good it's close. Well if anyone is interested. There is a Holiday Inn there with $89 room rates with in-room free high speed wireless and plenty of available rooms for Memorial Day weekend.

I booked mine this evening for May 25th thru the 28th since I can always cancel it if I am unable to attend. I won't know for sure until the end of March when I think about booking the flights, but thought it would be good to reserve the room in advance regardless. The FF miles I plan to use have blackout dates on 5/26 and 5/29, so the trip is planned around those.

Edited by AtlantaGal

NEFGA contingent building up: - 1143 miles each way (Fl to TX) , good friend / fellow cacher to go along, Wireless broadband in the truck (IT guy what do you expect) the vacation time is approved, permission slip from wife is signed, and I'll be darned if this wasn't my excuse to get her to agree to a new SUV in the next week. Reservations through reserveamerica.com were easy! $63.00 and we're all set for the weekend. It's all falling into place and we can't wait.

We're planning a few "side jumps" to Georgia and Oaklahoma since the route takes us soooo close on the way it's hard to pass up the chance to grab two more state stats during the trip. GW3 was a great event and we can't wait for GW4!

Edited by g3geoblazers

We're planning a few "side jumps" to Georgia and Oaklahoma since the route takes us soooo close on the way it's hard to pass up the chance to grab two more state stats during the trip. GW3 was a great event and we can't wait for GW4!

That's quite a side jump, but it sounds like an interesting road trip. See you there.

I sort of cross-posted this to the Geowoodstock4.com forums, but that site doesn't seem to get much traffic and my thread has had no reples. I also did a search here, but unlike my thoughts, there doesn't seem to be an ongoing information thread about Geowoodstock 4. This early in the game, I guess it's pretty hard to find information--at least it is for me.

Here are my questions:

There seems to be a big focus on hotel and flight information... but the event is being held in a state park. I'd like to camp, but I'm not sure in which part of the park the event is being "held." Is there a central place? If possible, I'd like to make plans to camp where I can walk to the action in a few minutes.

I also have some questions about camping in the park. The Ceder Hill State Park website isn't oozing with camping information. I'm curious about the hike-in camp sites. How far the "hike" is, and where would I park? If not hike-in, what are the other primitive camping areas in the park? Will I need reservations. Their website doesn't make this clear.

Also.. the event page says, "Geocaching Trips to Fort Worth, Plano, Rockwall, and other nearby cache-dense areas." Will there be geocaching trips to non-cache dense areas? I want to find some good ones, and not a hoard of urban micros. I sure hope I'm not alone in that regard. There aren't any scheduled "Quality Cache" trips planned--although it's still a long way off.

And finally, when the heck are the dates of Geowoodstock? The event page lists a single date of May 27. The Woodstock site shows the meet and greet as "Friday Night." A post in the Geowoodstock forums suggest that there are things planned for Thursday too, but I can't find anything about that.

I'm planning to get together a group of motorcycle riders to ride out there... but I'm not sure which date we should plan to arrive in order to not miss anything. And when should we expect the festivities to be finished? Is there stuff going on on Sunday, too?

Maybe it's a little premature to be asking such specifics like this, but I figured this information would be posted somewhere, but it's not. Thought someone here might have better sources than I seem to have.

Jamie

Argh. Why didn't that thread come up with I did a search for "Geowoodstock"? Feel free to move this thread. I'll read the other one, but I still would like my questions to be addressed if they haven't been covered in the existing thread.

Jamie

[edited to not sound like such a jacka--)

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Can answer this one for you

“”And finally, when the heck are the dates of Geowoodstock? The event page lists a single date of May 27. The Woodstock site shows the meet and greet as "Friday Night." A post in the Geowoodstock forums suggest that there are things planned for Thursday too, but I can't find anything about that.””

Geowoodstock is a single date event of May 27th all other events are not related other than they are on the same weekend

Joe

Thanks for the reply, Joe...

So then a question to the organizers. Currently, the list of other activities is undated and quite short. Will this list be expanded and made more detailed as GWIV approaches?

I'm not so much interested in the particular events, but rather the dates of the events, so I know how long I should plan to stay so I can have a chance to take part in the extracurricular activities.

Jamie

Yes, the schedule will be forthcoming (we still have three months until the event, keep in mind).

That being said, this is a relaxed "hang out" festival that isn't rigidly structured. There will be things to go off and do, but for the most part this is a social meet and greet and eat.

Thanks for the reply, Joe...

So then a question to the organizers. Currently, the list of other activities is undated and quite short. Will this list be expanded and made more detailed as GWIV approaches?

I'm not so much interested in the particular events, but rather the dates of the events, so I know how long I should plan to stay so I can have a chance to take part in the extracurricular activities.

Jamie

Update!

* Registration! link

Extended Registration is $15 and includes one t-shirt, a button, a lanyard and name tag, and meal ticket for Saturday's BBQ dinner. This money helps us pay for shirts, tent rental, catering, etc.

Basic Registration is free and includes a name tag and lanyard, and a meal ticket.

* Food - BBQ dinner will be served on Saturday around 5:30 PM. Dinner is free to all registered particpants (tips and donations are gladly accepted). A consession trailer will be on site all weekend long that will be staffed by local Boy Scouts for soft drinks, hot dogs, chips, etc.

* A short FAQ:

Question: (I get this one quite often) "I'd like to reserve a campsite for my clan and want to be located relatively close to the activities"

Answer: "Cedar Hill is a large park (1800+ acres) so you'll need to catch a ride, drive, or bike to the pavilion area from your campsite unless you like to hike."

Question: "When is it?"

Answer: "GeoWoodstock is a 3 day festival. Early check-in starts Friday and the event winds up on Monday afternoon."

Question: "What is the schedule?"

Answer: "There will be Snoogan's meet and great on Friday night the 26th as well as early check-in. Saturday the 27th is 'the event'. Meet at the listed coordinates and just get ready to mingle.

There will be:

- Travel bugs galore

- Geocoins galore

- Having fun

- "Best of Texas" caches sprinkled throughout the park

- Geocaching.com, GeoWoostock, and Texas Geocaching merchandise stores

- Meeting geocachers from all over the country

- Bounce house for the kids

- Horseshoe and washer pitching tournaments

- Hanging out

- Prize drawings

- Silent auction

- Guided cache runs throughout the weekend to various areas of Dallas / Forth Worth - more info on that soon.

- It's really whatever you want to do, but the base is at the listed coords.

* Website and Forum - www.geowoodstock.com

The lastest news will be posted on the Official Site ;)

Seeya soon!

Will ~ 9key

We will be setting up a similar venue for the same time frame here in the UK. What we would like to do is set up a cyberlink via webcams.

Possibly get a Tb race going with the Americans-British. Exchange of geocoins (we are in the process of getting Uk ones) and making it an International event.

Maybe someone in Australia would like to take it on for there as well?

Would be interested in knowing how you guys feel about making it INTERNATIONAL

I'm interested in the international aspect of Geowoodstock, too. Has there been any followup to these ideas?

9key, thanks for the updates.

Jamie

What is the code that you enter for the Airline discount? When I put in "starfile #8356AE", "8356AE" or "#8356AE" it says that it is not a valid code.

You must make you reservation directly with American Airlines. Call the 800 number listed with the airline information.

I hope that helps! Also, remember it does not appley to all fares.

Sharon

Is anything being done to log in our finds? I and the Miller Clan will be staying at the park in an RV. Just wondering how we could log our hundreds of finds? Has anyone thought of WIFI or networking to a phone line?

We investigated providing WiFi but it was cost prohibitive. In fact, it was ridiculously expensive. :laughing:

Here are two links to WiFi hot spots in the area near the park:

http://www.jiwire.com/search-wifi-hotspots...p=&country_id=1

http://www.jiwire.com/search-wifi-hotspots...p=&country_id=1

If ya got really crazy you could in theory use someone’s cell phone that has an unlimited data package hook it to a laptop and have that laptop act as the internet gateway and plug a WAP into the laptop. Of course all in theory. Not to mention it would probably be ridiculously slow. :)

But yeah, is there still time to get reservations to GW4? If so where can I look into it? Thanks a million!

-Patrick Maholm