Data Dump From Gsak To Cachemate And Gpsr

Thank you Clyde for the wonderfully helpful tool. I am beginning to get a lot of use and

understanding of this application. Life is good with GSAK. I have been able to categorize

and mark caches by color as to my hides, found hides, not found hides, ect., however

when I make the dump from GSAK to Cachemate in my Palm, these categories do not

transfer and all caches end up unsorted. Also, the data dumped to my GPSr from GSAK,

will have some found caches not reported with a found icon, while most do. Can you

provide some insight to this? I have read through the posting and have not found a solution

to my described problem.

tdl&claire

I'm not Clyde, but I'll try to help.

In Cachemate you can create new databases, as well as new folders.

In GSAK, filter out all your finds and export that to a Cachemate .pdb called "Found Caches." Then when you open Cachemate and it asks where to put it, either put it in the Found folder, or create a new database called Found and put those in there.

Likewise with all the other potential categories. Create a new folder if you know you want to keep that data separate. Export each one of these filtered sets of data and put them in the place you want them in Cachemate.

After I return from a "caching adventure," I open GSAK and change the center point to one of the caches I found. Then I check the "Found" box which I have right next to the cache name on each of the caches I found (These are in the Found folder in Cachemate on my Palm).

Once I have checked all the caches I found, I open each one up in a separate page in my browser (I use the Opera browser with separate tabs).

After I have logged each one, I move those Found caches to my Found database.

I'm sure others have different ways to do this, but this works for me.

Also, since I'm not caching to the east of me because it is too darn hot now, I filter by direction and keep all those caches in a different database. One of these days it will cool off and I'll be ready to head that direction, but in the meantime I don't have those 200 caches in the default database with 800 other caches. faint.gif

So, do I understand that your cache logging into GSAK is a manual process and does not categorize and filter automatically when you dump to and from GSAK from Cachemate? I do not understand the point of many of GSAK's functions if they are only usable on the PC database. I'd like to not only know in my palm and GPSr what caches are not found, found, owned and such. Having all caches in my GPSr is helpful when making a hide, so I know how close my proposed location is to an already existing cache, real time while in the field.

tdl

Edited by tdl&claire

I'm not sure I understand your question. I put the data from the PQs into GSAK manually from the email attachments. Other people use the more automated feature Clyde offers.

I don't use the Express Logger, nor do I use the program that converts the info from Cachemate to Notes in GSAK (I feel lucky to have figured out what I have figured out. :rolleyes: )

I log my finds on the cache pages, opening each one up by double-clicking the cache in GSAK and then going to the online URL.

If you separate your PQ's to show the different databases that you keep in GSAK or your palm then when you sync it should be asking you what files to be putting them in. I usually just keep a couple of databases in mine,found and unfounds and when I sync it will ask what file to put it in,pretty simple. Just make sure to keep the PQ's up to date and you should be all set.

I do the same, PQs via email, and then open in GSAK. I then review and ensure that all caches are categorized correctly, i.e., found, not found, owned. All the pretty colors are correct in the column with the cache box icon. I then export to Cachemate, just one file that has all the caches in it, e.g. “All Rockwall Caches.pdb”. These then go to my SD card and then I import them to Cachemate and then open Cachemate. This is where my problem begins. I can find all the cached listed under “All” as I would expect, however I would think that if they are categorized in the GSAK view as “found or not found” I should be able to open the “Found” or “Not Found” view in Cachemate and see them listed appropriately. Nope, it ain’t working like that. Also, when I dump from GSAK to my GPSr, “VISTA” most of the cache icons on my GPSr are correct, but I do get some that display as not found, when infact they are found and are shown as found in GSAK. What’s up with that?

This is not complicated, just confusing. I would think if they are correctly categorized in GSAK, then they should stay that way when I data dump to Cachemate and GPSr.

I have been playing with it this afternoon and noted that when I do a filter for “Not Found” only, everything goes away except a few caches that have been disabled. Just another Mindf*&K for Tommy Boy here. If you guys are able to understand my problem, help would be appreciated.

Sorry about being so verbose,

tdl

Cachemate is a completely different program from GSAK.

You have to separate out the data when you send it from GSAK to Cachemate. Like I mentioned, use the default GSAK filter for your Found caches. Export to Cachemate for those. Then in Cachemate put those in the Found folder, or in a Found database.

Then in GSAK, filter for your "Owned" caches. Export those to another Cachemate .pdb file. When you start up Cachemate, put those in the "Owned" folder.

Although some people have one huge Default GSAK database, I find it is easier for me to separate data into different databases.

I do the same, PQs via email, and then open in GSAK. I then review and ensure that all caches are categorized correctly, i.e., found, not found, owned. All the pretty colors are correct in the column with the cache box icon. I then export to Cachemate, just one file that has all the caches in it, e.g. “All Rockwall Caches.pdb”. These then go to my SD card and then I import them to Cachemate and then open Cachemate. This is where my problem begins. I can find all the cached listed under “All” as I would expect, however I would think that if they are categorized in the GSAK view as “found or not found” I should be able to open the “Found” or “Not Found” view in Cachemate and see them listed appropriately. Nope, it ain’t working like that. Also, when I dump from GSAK to my GPSr, “VISTA” most of the cache icons on my GPSr are correct, but I do get some that display as not found, when infact they are found and are shown as found in GSAK. What’s up with that?

This is not complicated, just confusing. I would think if they are correctly categorized in GSAK, then they should stay that way when I data dump to Cachemate and GPSr.

I have been playing with it this afternoon and noted that when I do a filter for “Not Found” only, everything goes away except a few caches that have been disabled. Just another Mindf*&K for Tommy Boy here. If you guys are able to understand my problem, help would be appreciated.

Sorry about being so verbose,

tdl

You need to separate your exports from GSAK to cachemate into your individual categories.

e.g.

1. Export all your 'Found' caches to CacheMate, then

2. Export all your 'Not Found' caches to CacheMate.

Then when 'importing' to CacheMate after card load/hot sync you should be asked by CacheMate which dB & category you want the import to be loaded to.

HTH

Thanks Crew for confirming idio. I guess I was hoping for GSAK to do it all for me. I still need to work out the symbol issues when I dl to my GPSr from GSAK. Do y’all use GSAK for dumping to GPSr or some else. I used to dl from Mapsource, but MS would not dl the names in the correct field, just the GC code. I like to use my GPSr symbols to determine “found or not found”, but lately GSAK has been using the wrong symbol. I guess I just need to keep playing with it. Thanks for all y’alls feedback.

BTW, Clyde if you are listening, how bout that GSAK speaking to Cachemate as far as categories. Perhaps on a future revision. Put your Team on it, hahahahaha.

tdl

Edited by tdl&claire
Thanks Crew for confirming idio. I guess I was hoping for GSAK to do it all for me.
GSAK can do just that for you - a macro will do the job nicely ;)
I still need to work out the symbol issues when I dl to my GPSr from GSAK. Do y’all use GSAK for dumping to GPSr or some else. I used to dl from Mapsource, but MS would not dl the names in the correct field, just the GC code. I like to use my GPSr symbols to determine “found or not found”, but lately GSAK has been using the wrong symbol. I guess I just need to keep playing with it. Thanks for all y’alls feedback.

I use GSAK to upload to my GPS and MapSource - all the symbols appear fine. Check your GSAK 'Send waypoints to GPS settings'.