Gps For Driving?

RBasil

I already own a regular GPS unit.

What I am now looking for is a GPS for work (I'm a Cab driver) and what better people to ask than my fellow GeoCache members? :rolleyes:

I have a Pocketbike PC with Windows mobile 2003 version 1. I need a small GPS receiver that can plug into my PocketPC and be removable everyday since I lease the cab and drive a different cab each day. I also need software for the PocketPC. I already purchase MS PC Streets mobile software and it really sucks.

I have bluetooth on the PocketPC so a bluetooth reciever would probably be the best.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay under $200 for the GPS and software if at all possible.

Thanks!

If you have the funds, I recommend you sell your current GPS and purchase a Map based GPS. I have a Garmin Map60CS with the optional autorouting MapSource software and it is a godsend. Everything will be in one unit and you won't have to deal with multiple parts, pieces and wires.

The 60CS is also, relatively, paperless; it holds up to 30 characters which I use to store hints. You can type them in MapSource and download the characters and the coords in one shot.

Good luck with whatever setup you go with.

If you have the funds, I recommend you sell your current GPS and purchase a Map based GPS. I have a Garmin Map60CS with the optional autorouting MapSource software and it is a godsend. Everything will be in one unit and you won't have to deal with multiple parts, pieces and wires.

The 60CS is also, relatively, paperless; it holds up to 30 characters which I use to store hints. You can type them in MapSource and download the characters and the coords in one shot.

Good luck with whatever setup you go with.

I already have a map based GPS, I'm looking for a second GPS for my Cab while I am working. :P

My husband has a laptop and bought a gadget that plugs into the USB port. It is a GPS receiver that suction cups to the windshield. That and the Delorme street atlas program and we've been all over the place. We plug the laptop into a small invertor that plugs into the cigarette lighter for nonstop power. Only glitch we've found is it told us to drive across Rocky Fork Lake yesterday!

Which PocketPC model do you have?

Since you have bluetooth, I would recommend the BroadCom BT 338. It is super sensitive and very fast on startup since it uses the new low power SIRF III chipset. I usually get a lock in 30-45 seconds on cold start.

It is $139, and the battery lasts about 15 hours, quickly recharges. It comes with a AC plug, and a lighter plug.

As far as mapping software, check out TomTom Navigator 4 or 5.

Youy can do a build your own package,

Build your own with the BT-338 and TomTom for $245.

You can see TomTom 4 screen shots here