Magellan Explorist 210

HokieBird

Expanding on the popular line of Magellan GPS handhelds, the Magellan eXplorist 210 brings map expansion capabilities to the entry-level range of eXplorists with its high-speed USB data port. The Magellan eXplorist 210 is the only GPS handheld in its price range to offer users the ability to download and store up to 22 MB of maps from compatible software.

22MB ..... oh my!!! For what ungodly reason does a consumer need that much memory! (Shssssh. Don't anyone tell them that 1GB of flash memory can he had for less than $50 retail these days.) :rolleyes:

And so, the GPS industry continues its bold slide into the technology revolution. Shoot, I've seen snails move at faster clip than these guys do. Someone should go into their corporate headquarters and turn their calendars ahead 5 years. By the time these guys discover flash memory in the GB range, applications will be requiring it in the TB range.

I wish a company would make just a few really good GPS units that were technologically current, and spend the rest of their time working on customer service and improved software.

I can't believe that there are so many eXplorists, let alone all the other units. The same goes for Garmin with its 60 60s 60c 60cs 76s 76cs 96c, etc. etc. Just make a few good handhelds and make really rocking up-to-date software. Hire a few more people to answer the phones, and while you're at it hire a couple Mac programers, too.

If an iPod can have a 60GB hard drive what the heck are these GPS makers doing playing with 22MB? At this rate the McDonald's toys will have more advanced technology than our GPS recievers.

Parsa

I wish a company would make just a few really good GPS units that were technologically current, ...

Imagine Palm releasing its latest color screen PDA with a built-in abacus to handle the calculations, only to have folks like us screaming that they get with the times and add an electronic slide rule. :rolleyes:

Heaven help us. I'm glad this GPS mindset doesn't pervade the rest of the consumer electronic industry. iPod's would be boasting 115MB of memory and geeks would be dangling their electronic slide rule PDA's in leather cases off their belts. :lol:

It's a shame they added so many features all at once. They missed a golden opportunity to really milk the consumers on this. They should've followed this sequence:

1) 210 -- 200 + USB connectivity ... then wait 6 months

2) 220 -- 210 + 1mb memory for POI's ... then wait 6 months

2) 230 -- 220 + 22mb memory ... then wait 6 months

3) 240 -- 230 + lithium battery

Maybe someone in marketing will realize this and get them to slow it down a bit when they get around to upgrading the 300. :rolleyes:

Any word when this unit will hit the market? I have the 200 and really like it, expect for keying in all the waypoints.

I beleive they told me at Outdoor Retailer that it would be sometime in September.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey