That Was Refreshing...

Old Bill

We had a fun weekend. Wife and I headed about 50 miles out of town for a change of scenery and some geocaching. The place we went is a bit more rural than nearby Phoenix, and the geocaching differences are somewhat obvious and refreshing. We ended up doing 7 caches in this area, and of those 7, only 1 was too small for regular sized McToys type swag. After doing so many smalls and micros near our home it was a welcome change to be able to actually TRADE stuff! And it was GOOD stuff too! Another notable difference, with the exception of 2, is that these caches actually took us to some wonderful views and vistas. We could see why these caches were placed where they were! It was beautiful! Quite the juxtaposition from a cache stuck underneath a drinking fountain.

Don't get me wrong, there are "full sized' caches near/in Phoenix that take you to "nice" places/views, and micros have their place if the owner was thoughtful in it's placement, but actually being able to open a CONTAINER, pick from 8~10 GOOD items, place a good full-sized item of our own back, and spend time to look around for a while at the scenery, made for a very pleasant day of Geocaching!

Nice thing is, I downloaded about 85 or so in that area, and we only got 7! We'll be headed back for sure!

PLEASE NOTE....This post was not intended to start yet another "(your hated cache here) suck" thread, but rather to point out the differences from one area to another, and how pleasant it was to mix it up a bit.

A change is refreshing, isn't it? I have the fortune of caching in many states regularly, and it's always amazing to me to see how differently geocaching is done in different areas.

There are some nice containers in most towns, but I have found that the best are rural.

I remember doing Papago Park while I was visiting my son in Scottsdale, I think there are several geocaches there now and it's a beautiful place in the heart of suburbia.

Have fun! This game has something of interest to everyone!

Left NC for a coupla days in VA, caching my way to the destination, at the destination and back from the destination. Found 39 caches, only @ six were micros, three smalls and the rest ammo cans & tupperware.

It WAS different as you say, it WAS fun but not the challenge that comes from the well-secreted micro hides that I love.

As you expereinced, I was taken to some neat plasces like the grave of Jefferson Davis & his family . . . spent some time there, learning and contemplating another era.

This is geocaching, something for everyone - it is great stuff!