Multi Cache

I don't want to give a lot away, but I have an idea and I am wondering if it would work, or piss people off.

I would set up a regular multi cache. After the cachers decoded the puzzle and get the coordinates, they arrive at a location and find the cache, open it (remember, there were told it was a multi) and inside is just the lats/longs of the next leg, along with the instruction:

"Oh, by the way, we forgot to tell you, the second leg can only be done at night.

It is not possible to follow the firetacks during the day.

The lats/longs given here are the starting point of the night trek"

In other words, we did not tell them the second leg was a night-only cache until they found the first cache.

Would you laugh or would it piss you off ??????

Rick

If I was local, it would be mildly annoying - if I was visiting, it would be very annoying.

Is there a reason to do it this way (suppressing the information)?

I know a lot of people don't do multis at all. I've been thinking of ways to coax people into doing multis, but I can't figure out any good ones. I've thought of making traditionals with added bonus legs - but if you don't make them necessary for the smiley, that won't really push people towards doing them, and if you make caches into prerequisites for other caches, you probably should list them as puzzle. I thought about just doing no swag in the regular traditional and make the bonus location have really nice swag.

Any cache that would use an unknown time constraint as an obstacle could be frustrating to (and piss off) most people. It's frustrating enough to attempt a multi only to find that one of the stages, or worse, the final is missing. All that work and time invested with no smiley to show for it when I could have been out finding 3 or 4 regular caches. To be tricked into attempting a multi only to find near the end that one of the stages is unavailable at certain times - most likely the time that most people would be out caching - would do more than just piss a few people off. I'll have to agree with Caderoux: 'If I was local, it would be mildly annoying - if I was visiting, it would be very annoying.'

Night caches are cool, but make it clear on the cache page exactly what it is and what to expect. Misleading cache instructions would only get a bunch of unhappy no-find logs on the cache page, and possibly put your cache on many ignore lists.

- Kewaneh

I know a lot of people don't do multis at all.  I've been thinking of ways to coax people into doing multis, but I can't figure out any good ones.  I've thought of making traditionals with added bonus legs - but if you don't make them necessary for the smiley, that won't really push people towards doing them, and if you make caches into prerequisites for other caches, you probably should list them as puzzle. 

I know that this changes the subject a bit, but here is how I did a multi.

Thorolfur's Treasure

Oh, BTW, I think I'll drop the idea, of the surprise 2nd leg... Thanks for the feedback.

Why don't you kick it up a notch. Have the night cache lead to another puzzle. Perhaps on a secret web page. Then that puzzle will lead to the final cache. (or another challenging cache)

Be clear on the cache webpage that this is a challenge that will take several days to complete, and require multiple trips.

As long as seekers know that they will need to be committed to multiple trips in order to get their smilie, I think you're fine.