Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Dr123d

Geocaching Net.

ok well give me your call and name and i can cheak you in

and if uthers have problems same thing for you i will cheak you in just give me your info

Andy

VE7WCC

Nope, that times out too.. Must be a firewall problem on my end. I'll fiddle with it a bit more.

EDIT: Grr, I opened the ports in the firewall and I've still got nuthin. I give up.

EDIT AGAIN: I got into 44463 and it kicked me off since it was already in conference. I'll try 243326.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I'm in. Posted a text message.

Sorry to see your having so much trouble BN :P

Good net tonight. Marky, what can I say about it, you did an awsome job for it being your first net controler. Looking forward to next weeks net and meeting other ham/geocachers out there.

Good night and everyone have a good holiday weekend.

Edited by Treasure Dad

Great Work Marky, I can't get over all the stations that checked in.

12 Nodes at one given time checked in, WoW...

Thanks for all of those who participated.

Chris KA7CJH Node#3922

12.jpg

Will this be weekly, and what time did it officially start? I'll have to get a new mike before the next net.

Weekly 6:30 PST

That was great fun! I had a blast being Net Control. I forgot to ask, but was wondering how my audio was. What did people thing of the directed net, multiple round format?

Here's the info:

Early Check-ins and Late Early check-ins:

• VE7HP, Dave, Vancouver, B.C.
  • KC0TJR, Darwin, Topeka, KS
  • K0AZV, Martin (Max?), ST Ann, MO (Not sure if this is the correct callsign)
  • KC0SUL, Dennis, Lakewood, CO
  • KC6UZK, Brian, San Jose, CA (non-geocacher)
  • VE7ROX, Jim, Vancouver, B.C. (non-geocacher?)

Regular Check-ins:

• KI6AZF, Marky, San Jose, CA - Net Control
  • VE7WCC, Andy, New Westminster, B.C.
  • VE2CZ, Chris, Georgetown, ON
  • KC0UYK, Dave, Northglen, CO
  • KA7CJH, Chris, Reno, NV
  • KD7PSG, Jon, Bellingham, WA
  • KC9EZP, Fred, Fort Wayne, IN

This was a total blast, and I look forward to next week's net. Since I only have a Technician license and have never been on IRLP before, this is the first time I've had QSOs outside of California!

Thanks to everybody who participated and to everyone who helped get this net started. Let's hope more people stop by next week!

73s and Happy Holidays,

Marky :P

Guys, what happened during my 2nd go-around? Did I time something out or what? When I let go of the mike, I wasn't even connected to the Node anymore!!

When did you guys lose me?

Chris

Guys, what happened during my 2nd go-around? Did I time something out or what? When I let go of the mike, I wasn't even connected to the Node anymore!!

When did you guys lose me?

Chris

Im not exactly sure what happened. You were in the middle of your transmission and then you just went away. Mark tried to call you a few times but you just werent there. The node you were on might have timed out?

Sure hope it doesnt happen next week.

Chris KA7CJH Node #3922 Reno,Nv

OK. I was on a simplex freq here, set up by our Club Prez, Bob VA3RJS. I think his radio must have timed out or something, although I thought the timer feature was only to disco from the Node if there was no activity after a certain amount of time.

I guess I was pretty long-winded though, eh? :P:D:)

Really good to meet you all, and hopefully in the coming weeks we can start yakkin' about what REALLY matters... caching!! I'm sure we all have our stories.!

Chris

Yeah Chris, you had a really good timeout on my end. There was close to a minute between "1200 repeater time out" and "time out complete"! :D

I'm not sure what the 1200 signifies. Is that the node number? Or just the error message number? Maybe I heard it wrong anyway. :P

I tried to call you back a few times after the timeout, but we never heard back from you so your IRLP node must have dropped.

--Marky

Marky, the 1200 timeout had to do with the 1.2 side of the repeater on our end. The IRLP is on that side of the repeater right now untill the IRLP node moves to the actual repeater site in a month or two.

One note for future nets, it is important to let things drop occasionally (for example, if you are talking for several minutes, take a pause and let things drop then continue as you would on a repeater). Any IRLP nodes that are connected through a repeater will need the drop to make sure the repeater doesnt time out to protect itself. Otherwise, I thought the net sounded pretty good. I was able to listen to a bit of it at the beginning and then the end. Next week I should be able to participate.

One note for future nets, it is important to let things drop occasionally (for example, if you are talking for several minutes, take a pause and let things drop then continue as you would on a repeater).

This is good practice when talking on any repeater. When I'm talking and I feel that I have been talking for more than 90 seconds, I will just state something like "letting the repeater drop" so that all listening know that I'm going to continue, and then wait until I hear the repeater drop the connection and then I key back up again. A few of the repeaters I talk on regularly have a timer set to 90 seconds. It keeps you in good form. :rolleyes:

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Awsome job Marky! The only thing I might add is after the first round ask for late check-ins, and also maybe just one simple question for the group and in the second round if anyone is left we can get more in depth. What you did this week was fine but in the future when our numbers grow to the 40's and 50's for check-in's (which will happen) ;) simple questions will have to be the way to go or we will have a 3 hour net. Not that that wouldn't be fun but......

Other wise great job on the script and being control op. Keep up the good work! :D

I was actually on a local simplex frequency here, and not on a repeater. I am told that I simply timed out the 4 minute limit on the Node.

Next week, someone please remind me to shut up. ;):D:D and keep it brief.

Too much to say, I guess!!

Chris

VE2CZ

I was actually on a local simplex frequency here, and not on a repeater. I am told that I simply timed out the 4 minute limit on the Node.

Next week, someone please remind me to shut up. :P:D;) and keep it brief.

Too much to say, I guess!!

Chris

VE2CZ

All good hams time out the repeaters once and a while :D You must be really good though :D

That was great fun! I had a blast being Net Control. I forgot to ask, but was wondering how my audio was. What did people thing of the directed net, multiple round format?

Here's the info:

Early Check-ins and Late Early check-ins:

[*]VE7HP, Dave, Vancouver, B.C.

[*]KC0TJR, Darwin, Topeka, KS

[*]K0AZV, Martin (Max?), ST Ann, MO (Not sure if this is the correct callsign)

Marky, that is the correct callsign.

Glad to hear you guys wound up having a wonderful first net. Hopefully I can stay longer the next time and join in on the fun of talking to everyone.

Max...

K0AZV

VA7SL/VE7VDX/VA7SIX (all the same person) here, I will endeavour to check in on Thursday!

I take it we will meet same place and time?

Yep! Unless someone else wants to, I'll be glad to be Net Control again.

--Marky

I take it we will meet same place and time?

Yep! Unless someone else wants to, I'll be glad to be Net Control again.

--Marky

Your going to do it til you get it right! ;):):rolleyes:

He was kind of quiet about it, but did everyone catch this...... Marky has almost FIVE THOUSAND FINDS !!!!

Nice talking to you guys again.

73 de VE2CZ

Chris

Well it was great fun! :laughing: Sorry for being so ruff round the edges.

And the check-ins were:

Early Check-ins:

VE7HP- Dave in Vancouver, B.C.

KA7CJH- Chris in Reno, NV

Regular Check-ins:

KCØUYK- Dave in Northglenn, CO - Net Control

VE7WCC- Andy in New Westminster, B.C.

KØAZV- Max in St. Louis, MO

VE2CZ- Chris in Georgetown, ON

VE7MAN- Steve in Richmond, BC

VA7SL- Scott in Maple Ridge, BC

KCØVPQ- Gram in Highlands Ranch, CO

KI6AZF- Marky in San Jose, CA

NØJNC- Art in Ellisville, MO

VE7ESS- Robert in Parksville, BC

Tonights questions were:

1 - How long have you been caching and how many finds do you have?

2 - Do you Ham radio and geocache?

Hope I got the call signs correct and thanks to everyone that joined in for tonights net! I had a lot of fun doing it. See you all next week.

73, Dave

KCØUYK

Edited by Dr123d

He was kind of quiet about it, but did everyone catch this...... Marky has almost FIVE THOUSAND FINDS !!!!

Nice talking to you guys again.

73 de VE2CZ

Chris

The funny thing is that since I've become a ham, I've been doing more ham related things and less caching. :o Still having a lot of fun doing both though!

Dave, thanks for taking over Net Control. Sorry I was unable to get to the radio and inform anyone that I would be too late for most of the net. Was very glad that it was still going on when I was able to get to my radio. I thought you did a great job from what I heard.

So, let me get the details here...

is this a weekly net? what node/reflector is it on.

also what time is it.

what i read in this thread was IRLP reflector 9000 6:30pm on Thursdays? is this correct?

also is there a echolink connection as well? that would be prefered to me, but my club's irlp node is supose to be back up now. ill have to check it out.

Nero

Awesome, i will be there tonite. i was am able to hit my local machine from here. node # 7620 Bank One err that should be Chase something or other now...

of course ill try the echolink one first so i can sit right here and do it. :lol:

Hey Chris, thanks for checking in to the net tonight. ;) Good to hear new people check in.

We had 2 early check-ins and 4 regular check-ins.

I closed the net on the short side tonight because I was kinda tired. :lol:

--Marky

Yea i was a little confused at first. i was hearing no one except you. then i also heard a canadian station whose call i forget. but that sall. so not sure what the deal was.

was definitely cool that my local IRLP node is back up and working, and i will try and remember to check in next week as well. also hopefully more hams will check in.

KF6JAX - Chris - Nero

Yea i was a little confused at first. i was hearing no one except you. then i also heard a canadian station whose call i forget. but that sall. so not sure what the deal was.

was definitely cool that my local IRLP node is back up and working, and i will try and remember to check in next week as well. also hopefully more hams will check in.

KF6JAX - Chris - Nero

That's very odd. I wonder why you weren't hearing anybody else. I think everyone else was able to hear you just fine. Hopefully it will work smoother for you next week. :ph34r:

--Marky, K6FTF

OK, I guess I need to check the forums more!! :lol:

Anyway, Is this net still taking place on a regular schedule on Echolink # 243326?? If not, it should! This is a cool idea! :lol:

If so, I would like to dedicate a section on my webpage with all of the information about the net and there is also a local repeater in my area I could send the Net out over to spark some interest in GeoCaching.

Thanks!

Mike K9DRX

http://www.qsl.net/k9drx

OK, I guess I need to check the forums more!!  :lol:

Anyway, Is this net still taking place on a regular schedule on Echolink # 243326??  If not, it should!  This is a cool idea!  :lol:

No, it's on IRLP reflector node 9000

--Marky, K6FTF

Hi!

What about installing Thebridge (http://cqinet.sourceforge.net/)? If configured correctly this conference server could also be connected by IRLP. I think this could solve the "no IRLP node nearby" problem. Additional this conference server could run 24/7 for connecting.

I just want to know what you think about this idea before setting up thebridge on my server...

Regards,

Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

Hi!

What about installing Thebridge (http://cqinet.sourceforge.net/)? If configured correctly this conference server could also be connected by IRLP. I think this could solve the "no IRLP node nearby" problem. Additional this conference server could run 24/7 for connecting.

I just want to know what you think about this idea before setting up thebridge on my server...

Regards,

Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

It sounds like it would be cool if we could get something like this up during the net.

Hallo!

I compiled and set up thebridge on my Debian system and configured it for IRLP access. So any IRLP sysop envolved in the geocaching net please contact me for a test as I'll have to give you password/port for linking together.

Echolink Node: 284637

IP: 84.16.237.217

Regards,

Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

Hallo!

I compiled and set up thebridge on my Debian system and configured it for IRLP access. So any IRLP sysop envolved in the geocaching net please contact me for a test as I'll have to give you password/port for linking together.

Echolink Node: 284637

IP: 84.16.237.217

Regards,

Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

Maybe Andy (VE7WCC) can help. It would be cool to be able to link you in. Multiple echolink nodes can connect to that node, right? That would be cool.

--Marky

Mallo Marky!

That's correct - derived from the connection speed I think abt. 50 simultanous connections should easily be done.

Do you know Andy (VE7WCC)? May be you can arrange him to help with the IRLP part of the Link...

vy 73 es gd dx de

Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

Bump!

I have a datacenter with a lot of bandwidth if that 50 number becomes limiting. 30gbit/sec fabric into multiple 10gbit points and split out to 3gbit/machine, load-balanced.

I'll try to hit the net next time.

K6JLR, aka Adrenalynn

I have a datacenter with a lot of bandwidth if that 50 number becomes limiting. 30gbit/sec fabric into multiple 10gbit points and split out to 3gbit/machine, load-balanced.

I'll try to hit the net next time.

K6JLR, aka Adrenalynn

Cool, I missed last week's net, but I should be able to make this week's. Probably my turn to be Net Control anyway... Or maybe Andy wants a turn.

--Marky

Cool, I missed last week's net, but I should be able to make this week's. Probably my turn to be Net Control anyway... Or maybe Andy wants a turn.

Bump! Who is taking net control this week?

--Marky

' date='Mar 29 2006, 07:13 PM' post='2124448']

I think marky is taking the net

Ok, I'll tell him.