Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Dr123d

Geocaching Net.

As a nOOb to ham radio I was wondering if anyone was doing a net? If so what do you do and how often do you have it. I was asked about starting one and have alot of questions.

Please help!

kc0uyk

If we were to start a net, I would do it on 80 meter, it is the best for a wide area, as in multistate, if you want to do a local, get permission from a local repeater group and schedule a time and post it.

But for Geocaching, I would probably go with the 80 meter route, since there are NOT that many of us that do both, so the wider the area you can cover the better.

Only problem is that generals and above have access to 80 meter.

Thanks for the input. I am really excited about getting this going. It might take me a while do to work this time of year but I will keep you all posted.

73! kc0uyk

If we were to start a net, I would do it on 80 meter...

Well that's inclusive... ;)

Well that's inclusive... :P

LOL, I know, it sucks, but 80 meter is the only band with the kind of range needed for a net with as few of us as there are.

We can cover a very wide area on 80.

10 meter is dead, 15 is not much better, but again, 15 is general, 20 is not bad, but unreliable, and 40, well, again, unreliable.

If we could get hold of a network of repeaters for the net on 2 meter, that would be great, but it has to comprise an awfully big network.

Packet might work, but I imagine that not many of us have packet machines up and running.

80 would be the most reliable and far reaching band.

LOL, I know, it sucks, but 80 meter is the only band with the kind of range needed for a net with as few of us as there are.

10 meter is dead, 15 is not much better, but again, 15 is general, 20 is not bad, but unreliable, and 40, well, again, unreliable.

If we could get hold of a network of repeaters for the net on 2 meter, that would be great, but it has to comprise an awfully big network.

Packet might work, but I imagine that not many of us have packet machines up and running.

Well, I spoke to the OP on 2 meters the other night, Washington to Colorado...

:P

Still doing research on the whole thing. I am leaning tword echolink or a way to do it through one of the reflectors.

Since Crim was my first out of state contact he would have to be included. :P

I'd just use echolink and a high-bandwidth connection (If you're hosting a multiconference).

BN can you get into one of the reflectors through echolink? I'm thinking of just trying it here in Colo for a month or so. Just to get use to what Im doing. I'd rather sound stupid locally then all across the nation :P

Yes, I can speak long distance on 2 meter as well, a 12 element cushcraft beam will do that, but the conditions need to be just right.

The conditions for talking long distances on 2 meter are not at all reliable, although 6 meter might do it, but again, conditions have to be just right.

Well, up to you guys, I am involved in about 5 different nets on about 3 different bands, so whatever you decide, let me know and I'll try to join in.

<_<

Yes, I can speak long distance on 2 meter as well, a 12 element cushcraft beam will do that, but the conditions need to be just right.

The conditions for talking long distances on 2 meter are not at all reliable, although 6 meter might do it, but again, conditions have to be just right.

Well, up to you guys, I am involved in about 5 different nets on about 3 different bands, so whatever you decide, let me know and I'll try to join in.

The reason Im thinking about using echolink or IRLP into a reflector is so the more people have the opportunity to join in. Also at this time I can only do it that way do to my current ticket. I really think that a reflector is the way to go at this time. We have one here in Denver where I am. Thanks again for the input.

kc0uyk! <_<

Well it really sounds like you know what your talking about. Thanks for your input and I will keep you posted.

I've only had my ticket for a week so it is taking a while to get to know how all this stuff works. Every little bit of info helps.

kc0uyk

If we were to start a net, I would do it on 80 meter, it is the best for a wide area, as in multistate, if you want to do a local, get permission from a local repeater group and schedule a time and post it.

But for Geocaching, I would probably go with the 80 meter route, since there are NOT that many of us that do both, so the wider the area you can cover the better.

EchoLink is good (even better, no propagation conditions to worry about) for this purpose than 80m, and it includes us techies. Besides, we all have computers <_<

Yes, Dr, I can get into *some* reflectors on EchoLink (I believe), however there is not a Denver one. If you were to do a local net, though, I can connect to a few Denver repeaters.

I thought you used IRLP... <_<

I talked to Dr on 2m 400 miles away too... Well, 2m on HIS end <_<

Edited by BlueNinja

hi gang -

80meter Net would be the right choice, please keep us posted on the progress.

thanks,

Jim - K1RMS

I have emailed one of the Western IRLP Reflector control op's in the past and he said if we could decide on a day and time he would be willing to let us use one of the reflector channels for a Geocache Net.

Chris (KA7CJH) Node #3922

' date='Sep 14 2005, 07:44 PM'] i got a echolink Node set up use it to run a net all you want :)

node #243326

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

I would be in it, echolink or IRLP sounds like the way to go. There are a few of us here in Wagga that are alo into Geochaching and Ham radio.

Cheers

Bob

VK2JMP

Did a net sced get setup - I would like to join and let my scouts know also- They love echo link.

Jill- KC8PVQ

Nothing yet but as soon as hunting season is over I can put some time into it.

Upon a brief viewing of this topic, an echolink net would be usable, for most if not all geocaching hams, Some of us are just low life techs, personally I have little desire to upgrade, and even less money to upgrade, I have Echolink am waiting to get my old computer back into operation, and hook it up to a repeater link, provided our repeater gets fixed. I am willing to talk to anyone involved in these two hobbies, lets set up a sked.

73 KCØQNB

I am interested in this idea. I would just like to put in my $.02.

Let's at least keep it radio based.....we are amateur RADIO operators.

If HF is considered not doable because of the licensing...let's try IRLP 1st.

Even at that I might not be able to get in......the nearest IRLP link to me is 30 miles as the crow flys.....but I would prefer that over Echolink.

No flames......just preferences.....will try to be involved in any way.

Matt- KF4ZGZ

IRLP Internet Radio Linking Project. I did a check, I did not find an IRLP node nearby. While I was checking aparently you need special hardware to make it work, is this correct? BTW the hardware is $150US, echolink is free (still).

If you guys want to do a net on IRLP perhaps you should post a message on how it works, and what the rest of us need to do to make it happen. Since it uses voip as does Echolink what is the big advantage?

I have used echolink, to quite an extent and 90% of the hams I talked to where mobile or portable or even fixed station operators linked through a real radio and tied to the internet. Again what is the advantage of IRLP over Echolink?

On the way to work, I did some thinking, then when I got to work I did more checking, I cant find IRLP software for windows, anything out there? Also if you want to work 80m, it can happen provided that a control operator is present techs can use HF. am I right?

On the way to work, I did some thinking, then when I got to work I did more checking, I cant find IRLP software for windows, anything out there? Also if you want to work 80m, it can happen provided that a control operator is present techs can use HF. am I right?

No special gear needed to use IRLP. My local repeater group has a node set up here in Denver. All you ned to do is check your local area for node access. It may take joining a repeater group to do so but there are reflectors I believe that can be accessed by IRLP and Echolink?

Yes, tech ops can use HF if a Gen or higher is contol op but not very practical for a regular net.

nearest IRLP node 80 miles UHF don't think I can make the trip. Is there any software for IRLP that is windows based?, I found linux stuff, but that was all, so far.

IRLP is radio based on both sides of the VOIP connection. EchoLink can be computer based on one or both sides of the VOIP connection. Some hams wish to make a point of being "radio based" but when reality sets in, sometimes one needs to use whatever they can to make the communication happen.

IRLP runs on linux boxes. No Windows version. Echolink usually runs on Windows boxes but there is a setup (EchoIRLP) that runs both IRLP and EchoLink on a linux box.

When it gets down to it, if you want to run some kind of net, just make the plans and do it -- wherever. As they say, if you build it, they will come.

73-

Ken

It is all GREEK to me.

I just got my TECH licence.

KCOVJP

Could some one explain what a net is in layman terms.

What is required(signal type) if you are a member of a local club with a repeater.

And 3 to 7 available across the state.

Another aspect.

If we can use the satts to communicate,would this not be a way to get the best signals.

Remember I am just starting.

KCOVJP

Hello, I just signed on to this group today and new to geocaching. I am looking forward to any up comming ham nets on this subject.

73's.........Ken

Basically a net is a communcations session with two or more people, the net is controlled by on person and a particilar protocol is followed think of it as a group of people sitting around a table talking and drinking coffee with one of the people asking the others for comments about a subject.

A ham club meeting, for example can be considered a face to face net, with the president controlling the meeting.

Basically thats it. Find the local repeater frequency and ask someone on the air if there is a net you can listen to, that will give you a better idea. Also go download Echolink its free.

73 KCØQNB

Edited by earthshaker

Basically a net is a communcations session with two or more people, the net is controlled by on person and a particilar protocol is followed think of it as a group of people sitting around a table talking and drinking coffee with one of the people asking the others for comments about a subject.

A ham club meeting, for example can be considered a face to face net, with the president controlling the meeting.

Basically thats it. Find the local repeater frequency and ask someone on the air if there is a net you can listen to, that will give you a better idea. Also go download Echolink its free.

73 KCØQNB

Thanks,

Now that understand that.

You now want to link together(net) with other geocachers with radios and computers.

I am looking into the link.

There is no Windows version of IRLP. The only software available is for "node" use. There are Echo-IRLP nodes out there. These nodes let both Echolink and IRLp users to communicate together.

My IRLP node will be back up and running as soon as I get my newer computer.

Cjris KA7CJH node #3922

' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:34 PM'] I just set up a IRLP node here and everything is working real good feel free to stop buy and say HI

Node 1507

Andy

VE7WCC

Cool, I just got permission to use node 3204, which I should be able to reach from my house.

--Marky

I personally like the idea of a VoIP net. The problem is not all hams have access to a IRLP node. All hams can get access to a Echolink node. Is there anyone that has capability to link IRLP and Echolink togather? That would be the best of both worlds since it covers both VoIP services. You can also involve large area IRLP repeaters and smaller local Echolink nodes, and home PC users.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

I'm good for any band/technology. This is a great idea. I only have my tech+ at the moment, but have a general class in house here that can accompany me, also he caches to so he'd be game I'm sure.

hmmm now to get the dipole back up

Yea,,, I just got my IRLp node up and running again last night.

Now if you guys dont mind I will ask a few of the Reflector operators/owners if there is a chance of us using one of the Echolink/IRLP connections for a Geocaching Net.

This way just about any Ham should be able to participate.

Chris KA7CJH

Node 3922

,Nov 11 2005, 11:34 PM] I just set up a IRLP node here and everything is working real good feel free to stop buy and say HI

Node 1507

Andy

VE7WCC

Cool, I just got permission to use node 3204, which I should be able to reach from my house.

--Marky

Hey Marky,

Tell Dan N6VYQ that Chris formerly KD6NSD and formerly from Taft,Ca says Hey..

Edited by KA7CJH

well i talked to dave and he said we can use reflector 9000 we just got to pic a day and time to get the net started:)

SteelHead[bC]

VE7WCC

node 1507

Wednesday or Thursday evenings would work for me. I'm on Pacific Standard Time so it would probably be early evening for me, I'm assuming.

--Marky