Geocaching Wristbands

jotty13

Though I am sick of all the spinoffs of the LiveSTRONG bands .....

I agree that most of them are rather useless, my "livestrong" band it actually for a good friend and trainer who recently died of prostate cancer. All the money from the sale of the bands went to the family. This is much more personal than a livestrong band. He was a great guy, and there are only a few hundred other people who have this same band. (Millions of livestrong's out there)

I could see them selling well and being snatched from caches quickly.

I wear a Livestrong bracelet for personal reasons and leave them in caches as well. They tend to get grabbed quickly and they are a cheap trade item that supports cancer research.

If there were GC bracelets that supported another foundation of some sort, I'm sure some will buy them to support it - some will not care for it.

Can't please everybody......

... sick of all the spinoffs of the LiveSTRONG bands...

was he the first to do this? or were his a "spin off" as well? I seem to remember seeing these in another color for some other cause before his. Although, like they all will soon enough, I've forgotten the color and the cause. Or maybe I'm thinking of the different colored ribbons... gosh... its so hard to keep up with the latest fad. :)

Oh, and I would likely not wear the geocaching band either. I'm sure there would be some people who would.

The real wristbands are to raise awareness and funds for a charity or orginisation, I wear a red and blue band which say's Take Control on it, these are in support of Epilepsy, a charity that needs vital funds. Who would get all the money from selling these bands and what would it be spent on, or would it be used to line someones pocket, like all the FAKE BANDS out their :)

I used to wear an livestrong bracelet for my great grandmother who died in part because of breast cancer. But the military said that they were fadish and we can't wear them anymore..so I keep it on my pocket. When our local Academy sports store was selling them I bought 10 of them and gave them out to my family members.

There are so many good causes that have copied the Livestrong bracelet trend that I bought a bunch of them in different colors. My plan was to either melt them down or cut and paste to blend them into one rainbow colored bracelet to show my support for all of the different causes.

Then I realized that would mean something completely different. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :):)

The real wristbands are to raise awareness and funds for a charity or orginisation, I wear a red and blue band which say's Take Control on it, these are in support of Epilepsy, a charity that needs vital funds. Who would get all the money from selling these bands and what would it be spent on, or would it be used to line someones pocket, like all the FAKE BANDS out their :)

Ok so use the bands to fund GPS Outreach. A charatible concept that lies dormant for lack of interest. True it's not the march of dimes, or cancer awareness but it's geocaching related.

There are so many good causes that have copied the Livestrong bracelet trend that I bought a bunch of them in different colors. My plan was to either melt them down or cut and paste to blend them into one rainbow colored bracelet to show my support for all of the different causes.

Then I realized that would mean something completely different. :o

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :rolleyes::lol:

I had a large live strong band and tried to make it smaller but it was resistant to everything I tried. double bubble, superglue....nothing would stick to it...so I bought a childs size bracelet.

...I've forgotten the color and the cause...

If I remember correctly now, they were red in color, possibly made of metal and were for Vietnam vets or POW/MIA or something like that.

Define what makes a wristband REAL... if its a band around your wrist, its real. Now some wristbands might be for a real cause and others might not. But the fact remains, they are a fad. They will eventually give way to the next means of raising money for what ever reason.

I don't wear any bracelets but I do have a bunch of the bright green ones for Mr. Yuck Poison Control. I bought these and leave them in caches in hopes that it might be able to save a kid oneday. Pretty much a stretch but who knows. At least I feel like they are going to people who want them, kids, and might actually at one point have a need for them.

I don't wear any bracelets but I do have a bunch of the bright green ones for Mr. Yuck Poison Control. I bought these and leave them in caches in hopes that it might be able to save a kid oneday. Pretty much a stretch but who knows. At least I feel like they are going to people who want them, kids, and might actually at one point have a need for them.

is that the one with the Xed eyes and a frown? We were moving and babysitting 3yr old nephew at the same time. I came home from work and they were one all the bottles of cleaners that were sitting in a box waiting to be moved. I asked willaby(nephew) what that was and he said it was mr yuck. i had never heard of it before.

mr_yuck.gif

At first I thought the wristbands were a thing to hold your GPSr onto your wrist while caching...but no, ...a plastic/rubber bracelet...Oh well.

I think that a wristband to hold my legend in place on my wrist would be pretty cool. Maybe I'll adapt a watchband, and a cell phone case to do the job?

I think it would be a good idea to have a GPSr wrist holder thingymabob...of course...they may already be available, and I may simply be ignorant :rolleyes:

The real wristbands are to raise awareness and funds for a charity or orginisation, I wear a red and blue band which say's Take Control on it, these are in support of Epilepsy, a charity that needs vital funds. Who would get all the money from selling these bands and what would it be spent on, or would it be used to line someones pocket, like all the FAKE BANDS out their :lol:

Ok so use the bands to fund GPS Outreach. A charatible concept that lies dormant for lack of interest. True it's not the march of dimes, or cancer awareness but it's geocaching related.

Or environmental, CiTO.

:rolleyes:

OK, so when I want to go out in the morning, I now have to look in my bracelet drawer...

multiple_bracelets.jpg

This phenomenon reminds me of the plethora of little pin ribbons everyone was wearing a couple years ago. It started with yellow ribbons for troops, then red for AIDS, then pink for Breast Cancer, then fuscia for saving the dwarf pygmy hootless owls, blah, blah, blah.

If you want to support something, support it. If you want to overtly show that you enjoy something buy a T-Shirt.

I own one for a particular fund raiser. I wore it for three days. I can't stand these things.

Oh, and by the way, if you're doing it to show you support something by giving to a charity, remember Matthew 6:2

Add me to the list who thinks there are way too many bands out there already! Just look in any drugstore and you'll find a ton with different words on them. Plus the ones sold are huge...for me atleast. I take a childs size Livestrong, and my children wear a bear size one. I will wear a Livestrong band and only a livestrong band. I wear it for my father, sister and 2 brothers who have survived 1 type of cancer and working on surviving a 2nd type that runs in our family. I also wear it for Lance.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other but a few weeks back I cought part of a news report that was saying that a lot of the bands being sold were just knock offs were the money only went in the pockets of the theifs who distributed them.

Then I realized that would mean something completely different. :rolleyes:

Not that there's anything wrong with that! <_<:huh:

I am going to take that like you really mean it, and for the record I wear a GodSTRONG wristband . . . :(

The real wristbands are to raise awareness and funds for a charity or orginisation, I wear a red and blue band which say's Take Control on it, these are in support of Epilepsy, a charity that needs vital funds. Who would get all the money from selling these bands and what would it be spent on, or would it be used to line someones pocket, like all the FAKE BANDS out their :ph34r:

For only $5. I will send you a treasured genuine Rambler Wristband. Everyone should wear one. Share your support of our troops overseas. Call attention to your disease. Get yours now, this is a limited-time offer. 100% of the income from this patriotic effort will be donated to my favorite charity (me).

Considering it was 1991 when they started using red ribbons for AIDS, I believe it was the predecessor to all of the other "fads" to help raise money for charity.

I believe they are at the end of their life. How about just something a little more original..............

My husband is in the Army and as a fundraiser, the family readiness group had bands from reminderband.com with the FRG motto, a takeoff of the unit motto. They ordered more than they usually would have of a unit specific item and they still sold out that very first day they came in. The FRG has since placed a few more orders and sold out every time.

If you have bands available to a very specific target audience and that audience is participating in something meaningful to them, they *will* buy the bands. Of course not everyone will, but many will.

I was at a local bicycle shop a couple years ago. In walked some dude who asked if they had any lance bracelets. Of course they where all out. The dude got an attitude and verbally slammed the guy behind the counter because he was "really counting on them" to have a lance bracelet. The whole time I was wondering, why didn't he toss a couple bucks in the jar while he was there even if they where out of plastic bracelets.

meanwhile, I wonder how many "ribbon" magnets you can stick on the side of a buick before it's on-star malfunctions and sends it in a continuous loop around the mall parking lot.

I was at a local bicycle shop a couple years ago. In walked some dude who asked if they had any lance bracelets. Of course they where all out. The dude got an attitude and verbally slammed the guy behind the counter because he was "really counting on them" to have a lance bracelet. The whole time I was wondering, why didn't he toss a couple bucks in the jar while he was there even if they where out of plastic bracelets.

meanwhile, I wonder how many "ribbon" magnets you can stick on the side of a buick before it's on-star malfunctions and sends it in a continuous loop around the mall parking lot.

I think i would buy a Geocaching bracelet, to support Groundspeak, and i would probably buy some for swag, and i would defintately pick one up if i saw it in a cache, i have a big collection of those silicone bracelets in my geoswag collection box that i picked out of caches, ranging from livestrong to animal shelter bracelets, even though people put them down on here, if it said geocaching.com and was green or had the tech + nature, but the geocaching.com prefered over the tech + nature, it would be a cool band.

Um, we're dusting off a thread that's over a year old -why?

Did the person who dug this up really intend on raising this question again or are we just bumping old threads for fun?

edit to add: I'd wear the BrianSnat version! LOL

Edited by kealia