Time From Cache Placement To Publish

lakeuk

The last cache I submitted was appoved in (from submission to appearing on the site) nine minutes.

A point which may have had nothing to with this, is: on the "Note to Reviewer" section, I included info relating to every question that a Reviewer could possibly have asked about the cache...

... and some that he/she wouldn't even have asked.

-Wlw.

It appeared in the review queue on 11th August.

I asked a question about maintenance on 11th August.

I received a reply on the 13th August.

I listed it on the 13th August.

What happened to it between April & August is a question for the cahe owner.

WLW makes a VERY valid point about reviewer notes. 99.9% of delays in getting caches listed are down to insufficient information being supplied to the reviewers. Don't worry about putting TOO much info in a Note to Reviewer, that's much better than too little. In any case we can just ignore it :P:P:huh:

On a slightly related note. How is it that there is someone new approving/publishing some of the more recent Irish caches. The name that has shown up is Tahu Nuva.

Is it a puppet account for a UK/Ireland based cacher or a temporary measure? TBH its strange enough that Ireland doesn't have an Irish approver without having someone (supposedly) based in Polynesia looking after us :)

Is it a puppet account for a UK/Ireland based cacher or a temporary measure? TBH its strange enough that Ireland doesn't have an Irish approver without having someone (supposedly) based in Polynesia looking after us  :)

Any reviewer can approve any cache.

The one mentioned may be more distant than England, but not as distant as Polynesia.

"These are small - but the ones out there are far away.."

-Wlw

On a slightly related note. How is it that there is someone new approving/publishing some of the more recent Irish caches. The name that has shown up is Tahu Nuva.

Is it a puppet account for a UK/Ireland based cacher or a temporary measure? TBH its strange enough that Ireland doesn't have an Irish approver without having someone (supposedly) based in Polynesia looking after us :)

Tahu Nuva is another European reviewer and volunteered to help out while Eckington is on holiday. He doesn't live in Polynesia.

After the "difficulties" earlier in the year with the local Ireland group I felt it best that stopped reviewing Irish caches. Eckington has been handling them since then.

If Groundspeak feel that Ireland needs its own reviewer then they will appoint one.

Tahu Nuva is another European reviewer and volunteered to help out while Eckington is on holiday.

That makes more sense. It would be nice to find these things out in advance of course but I suppose thats life.

He doesn't live in Polynesia.

I had figured that one out. Hense "supposedly" in my original post.

After the "difficulties" earlier in the year with the local Ireland group I felt it best that stopped reviewing Irish caches. Eckington has been handling them since then.

I, and probably many other Irish cachers, was not aware of this. There has been a major increase in the number of Irish cachers this year and the online community has grown even more dramatically, mainly via the forum so circumstances can change.

I for one would rather have some consistency when caches are being approved. Even if you have issues with certain individuals in Ireland I would think it preferable that you approved Irish caches on a temporary basis when Eckington is away. As has been pointed out before, there are certain issues when it comes to cache placement that are UK and Ireland specific. But at the end of the day, you're a volunteer and its your choice.

If Groundspeak feel that Ireland needs its own reviewer then they will appoint one.

So we've obviously no say in the matter then :)

Out of curiosity what does the cache approver do to approve a cache.

I used to think that the nearest approver actually visited the cache to determine the co-ordinates were OK etc until I had somebody visit my cache before I even knew it had been approved! (Published it about 11pm at night and FTF was the following morning at 8am).

I am guessing that they use something like google maps or google earth and if the place looks like a reasonable spot they authorise it. Is that about right? :)

D_Skids

When you place a cache you agree to the gc.com terms and conditions. When you write up the cache you tick two checkboxes to confirm that you have done so. I believe that the cache approvers check for proximity to existing caches and also have a read to make sure the cache note does not include any obvious reasons to disallow it for example does it say 'hid ammo box cache in dark coloured rucksack at the end of the Heathrow runway number 1'.

It is up to the cache setter to make value judgements on quality of the cache themselves.

So we've obviously no say in the matter then  :rolleyes:

You have overlooked two salient points, here...

(1) There is no need for an Irish reviewer.

(2) Even if one was to be sought, there are only a tiny handful of people with the necessary knowledge, experience and free time, to do it.

Of those who could do it, almost all of them don't want to do it.

The one person who wants to do it, is the last person any sensible person would want to see doing it...

-Wlw.

Just to explain the process slightly. Groundspeak doesn't seek volunteers. When they feel it is appropriate to have a new reviewer they approach someone. So wanting to do it is not necessarily a requirement nor is it a bar to being approached.

The current feeling at Groundspeak is that there is no need for an extra reviewer.

So wanting to do it is not necessarily a requirement nor is it a bar to being approached.

It's not a requirement?

So if a person is chosen to be a reviewer and they don't want to be one, they have to be one anyway?

Strewth!

They're a ruthless crew at Geocaching.com, and no mistake. How does that work - children kidnapped and held hostage? Severed horse's head in the bed one morning?

It's an offer you can't refuse... :)

-Wlw.

If you are in the Samson in Gilsland, Cumbria around 1900 tomorrow...
I have just realised I am one day behind <_< If you're still around - the offer is still on :lol::D

You could always try Allendale area for caches - I'd recommend Staward Pele - a Walker Dan classic which I think you'd like (bit of a walk though - typical Walker Dan!) and my local is the closest pub - the carts Bog <_<<_<

If you are in the Samson in Gilsland, Cumbria around 1900 tomorrow...
I have just realised I am one day behind :P If you're still around - the offer is still on :D:D

You could always try Allendale area for caches - I'd recommend Staward Pele - a Walker Dan classic which I think you'd like (bit of a walk though - typical Walker Dan!) and my local is the closest pub - the carts Bog :D:D

....sorry jim, left Gilsland at 0620hrs :lol: now back in Berkshire :lol::lol: (where it is a lot warmer! :D:D:D )

Hope the GCE results were the wished for ones! :lol::D:D;)

I'll raise a glass for you and your lad to-night anyway! :blink::P:P

Eckington