Just Plain Sick?

From the Guidelines:

For all cache types please be sensible when choosing your location for cache placement. Please be aware of what may be a perceived to a non geocacher as dangerous or questionable behavior. For example, suspicious looking characters wandering about near an elementary school. The land may be public property, but keep in mind what is on the other side of that property line

This would apply to the OPs idea

What would happen is that the cache would attract attention from muggles. Also, geocachers would uncover the cache and not cover it back the same way. Why not wait until the Halloween stuff comes out in the stores and get a cheap motion/light activated skull that lights up and laughs. Hide it in a dark place such as a hollow tree or a small pipe that stays dry and put the cache directly in front of it. :P

I'd like to think this wouldn't get approved if you submitted the details. It would just be a problem waiting to happen. All it would take would be the suspicion that a "missing person" could potentially be found there and the local police would be digging the site up. Not the type of news headlines we'd want associated with geocaching.

edited for spelling

Edited by Bibba
I have what i think is kinda a funny cache location. I would make a fake "grave" of stacked up rocks with a cross at the top, and i would hide the cache inside, but i have bones from various animals that i could disperse in the rocks every once in a while...think anyone would find it?

That wouldn't go over very well with folks here. We're the first state in the nation to face legislation restricting geocaching because somebody got offended with caches in and around cemetaries.

In fact, place something like that here and you might find it physically removed by the locals without word or warning.

If you're looking to do something like that keep it "halloween-ish" Here is a good place to get some ideas. :P

Hope this helps.

Somebody's got to ask this question:

Doesn't this violate the rules as a buried cache?

No. The guidelines allow rocks to be stacked on top of the cache. Many are hid in this manner.

Back on topic, with some minor alterations to the idea, this could be a feasible idea. First, skip the bones. Second, as CR suggested, make the marker cartoonishly halloweeny (that reminds me of a joke...). I think the grave of G.O. Cache might be kinda fun to visit this fall.

a cache in my area was put in a cemetary next to a marker that was a 5 day old infant. he created a floral arrangement and underneath it is a tupperware container. you have to lift the floral out of the pot/planter thing in order the find the tuppereare. My mom and I searched for almost an hour for it and it was suppose to be a 1/1

it was one of theses things...grave2.jpg

Edited by wreckelite
Not much point carrying this thread on - many Reviewers have weighed in with their strong dissapproval and requests to avoid this kind of thing.

Not much use debating a cache that there is no way in Hades will get listed here!

Many reviewers? I count only 2. Altho other reviewers probably would be in agreement with those 2.

Personally I think it could work if on private property and tweaked as CR and sbell111 suggest.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

<_<:huh:This cache is not in a cemetery but the finders have really enjoyed it. Ghastly fun!

I wonder when was the last time you went to a cemetery and saw a grave covered by a pile of rocks? Who said they were going to put it in a cemetery?

Don't worry about animals getting after the bones if they have been weathered and bleached by the sun. We know of several areas where a critter has died and the bones remained undisturbed for over 2 years; Another non-problem.

Why would it have to be on private property? It wouldn't be a problem out here on BLM or state lands where caching is allowed. Just use some discretion when choosing where to set it up.

I suggest you wait to see how the cache page is written and where it is placed before condemning the idea. :rolleyes: Nothing like having an approver with an open mind to new ideas.....

John

In my opinion, private property would be important for two reasons. The lesser of the two is that permission would be difficult to obtain. The more important is that on my own property, I can tell detractors to take a hike.

I wqas thinking 'no bones' for more of a health reason. I don't have any real clue, but I feared some sort of nasty bacterial issues.

I have what i think is kinda a funny cache location. I would make a fake "grave" of stacked up rocks with a cross at the top, and i would hide the cache inside, but i have bones from various animals that i could disperse in the rocks every once in a while...think anyone would find it?

This is clever but not particularly funny. I think the prevailing consensus is that it would not be a plus for the sport.

a cache in my area was put in a cemetary next to a marker that was a 5 day old infant. he created a floral arrangement and underneath it is a tupperware container. you have to lift the floral out of the pot/planter thing in order the find the tuppereare. My mom and I searched for almost an hour for it and it was suppose to be a 1/1

it was one of theses things...grave2.jpg

That's a sick thing to do -- but who's the person wandering around with a huge bag over their head?

really someone is going to dipose of a body in this fashion? please

they did in the olden days...

unknown.jpg

this picture if of the oldest plot in the Drummond Cemetery...it didn't have the "unknown" headstone but it did have the pile of rocks. the headstone was added later.

edited to shrink picture!

Edited by wreckelite