Feature Request - Sorting Cache Search Results

ladierainy

HI,

The other feature that's needed is a way to filter out what I've already found. Yes, it's great to see all the "pink & checks", but I'm caching in an outward motion from where I live and/or locations that I frequent (I work an hour away from home) it would be helpful to check a box to have these removed - and just be able to grab the new ones in the area as I'm on my way to the farther ones out.

Also, can we please sort by direction? Ex. I put in my co-ordinates, and it says 1.25 E of you.. all of these are intermixed. Well, if I know I'm going in an generally Easterly direction, it would be helpful to sort by those caches east of me (or whatever) so I don't have to mentally think nope, that's out of the way, nope, that's not where i'm headed and so on.

Either of these would save me tons of time which.. in the end.. allows me more time to geocache. :P

Thanks!

HI,

The other feature that's needed is a way to filter out what I've already found.  Yes, it's great to see all the "pink & checks", but I'm caching in an outward motion from where I live and/or locations that I frequent (I work an hour away from home) it would be helpful to check a box to have these removed - and just be able to grab the new ones in the area as I'm on my way to the farther ones out.

This feature is already fully available, both in pocket queries (for premium members) and online (for all members).

From a cache page, search for nearest caches from that cache, but click on the "That I haven't found" link.

From your "My Account" page, click the link for caches near your home coordinates that you haven't found. It's in the grey box at the top right of the page.

From the advanced search page, you can check the box to exclude caches you've found or hidden (and, for premium members, this also excludes caches on your "ignore list").

From ANY other search results page, simply add "&f=1" (without the quotes) at the end of the URL for that search, and this will remove caches you've found from the displayed search results.

Also, can we please sort by direction?  Ex. I put in my co-ordinates, and it says 1.25 E of you.. all of these are intermixed.  Well, if I know I'm going in an generally Easterly direction, it would be helpful to sort by those caches east of me (or whatever) so I don't have to mentally think nope, that's out of the way, nope, that's not where i'm headed and so on.

This is available for premium members using pocket queries and third party software.

Edited by The Leprechauns

If you search from your "My Account" page, you can "Filter Out Finds".

Also, since you are a Premium Member, your Pocket Queries can filter out caches found by you and not include them.

Then, using something like GSAK, you can filter by "direction" so that you only see caches in the proper direction from home that you haven't found.

Hmmm I mean why not just have it sort it dynamically rather than run a pocket query- seems that would bog down the server more than just rearranging a search that is already there.

And yeah I'm a premium member so I had thought that feature would be available but didn't realize I'd have to run an actual seperate query rather than just sorting a search that has already been done.

Seems rather kinda clunky. Is that really the only way that can be done currently?

Thanks for the tips and answers!!

N.B. the only sorting on the preview screen is by distance and this only applies when the PQ criteria includes an origin/radius criteria.

There is currently no way to sort by anything other than that, and e.g. that sort will not apply to PQs which use the "within states" criteria.

GSAK and Watcher do offer the ability to do this externally - as does GPX Sonar straight on a PocketPC (as may CacheMate or other external software)

The other feature that's needed is a way to filter out what I've already found.

A quick way to do this on most pages (don't think it works with PQ result pages) is just add &f=1 to the end of the address string in the URL. For example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...lon=-114.153417

h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c a c h i n g . c o m / s e e k / n e a r e s t . a s p x ?l a t = 5 1 . 1 2 9 2 1 7 & l o n = - 1 1 4. 1 5 3 4 1 7

shows me all caches around a point, found or not,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&f=1

h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c a c h i n g . c o m / s e e k / n e a r e s t . a s p x ?l a t = 5 1 . 1 2 9 2 1 7 & l o n = - 1 1 4. 1 5 3 4 1 7 & f = 1

filters out the ones I've already found (or actually for you, the ones you've already found, which presumably is none, unless you live near me)

**edit to correct the forum software trying to be smart...***

Edited by ibycus

Ladierainy,

You should have gone to the classes they had Saturday morning. :)

For the others on this thread: There were classes held by two local cachers on PQs and using GSAK last Saturday. I met ladierainy at the picnic event held later that day.