Usa Geocoins On Ebay!?

TeamZebra

I can't believe people are being suckered into paying these crazy prices on eBAY for 2005 USA Geocoins. I bought one with a plastic case directly from usageocoins.com and piad $7.97 WITH shipping.

There's at least one guy calling himself "iamfullofcake" who keeps putting them up saying they are RARE. I emailed him, and one of his bidders last week about this. The bidder thanked me for informing him of the availability of the coins and ordered two from the website after (as he said "thankfully") someone outbid him. He would have been paying over $10 for the coin and shipping. I've lost the number for the actual auction he was involved in so I don't know how much the buyer ended up paying.

Another person "hobbycache" is selling them for $8.50 a piece with $2 shipping ($10.50 total).

Why are people trying to rip other cachers off by doing this??? (Oh, and there's also $10 TB tags on there too)...

If the demand is natural, and the supply is there, let the market forces take over.

There's not much you can do. I doubt the seller and the bidders' lives depend on the transaction. Best thing is to ignore it, since extra publicity can translate to free marketing for the person selling it. I'm glad you didn't provde a link, and I hope nobody does in this thread.

Now, if the seller is starving and need money for survival, then you can cut the guy some slack. If that happens to be a hoax, of course, it'd be fun to see the backlash on the guy. :D

Hey its not just individuals. USAGeocoins just put the 10,000th USA Geocoin up for sale on ebay. Its at $41 already.

It's going up up up.... The rookie bidders are going to put this thing through the roof! Should be fun to watch if they keep this up hee hee. :P

Let's see, assuming that they know what they are talking about (fair bet!) then that makes the first USA geocoin #10001.... Which means that the 2003 coin in my collection is the 100th USA geocoin. :P

Hey its not just individuals. USAGeocoins just put the 10,000th USA Geocoin up for sale on ebay. Its at $41 already.

It's going up up up.... The rookie bidders are going to put this thing through the roof! Should be fun to watch if they keep this up hee hee. :P

Let's see, assuming that they know what they are talking about (fair bet!) then that makes the first USA geocoin #10001.... Which means that the 2003 coin in my collection is the 100th USA geocoin. :P

If the tracking numbers are in sequence, some people are going to have too much fun making virtual grabs of this coin. :huh:

Otherwise, how can one tell if it's the 10,000th one or not?

There's always a price to publicity. ;)

I sent him a email asking him where on the coin it says 10,000th, or where is has proof when the auction started. He HAS NOT returned my email yet!

It's a fake!

I have a "genuine" email (well as genuine as I can determine from a thorough inspection of full email headers) from Eric K announcing the Ebay auction from usageocoins.com just FYI.

I wish there was a suitable little green and popcorn colored pixilated icon for describing a little "pseudo-cyber" short-lived drama that will soon ensue...oh well I can't think of one so this will have to do: :P

If the tracking numbers are in sequence, some people are going to have too much fun making virtual grabs of this coin.  :P

Why bother when you can log the first one? Then again, as a virtual grab of a coin you've never seen and probably never will, why bother at all? :P

As noted the eBay coin is up for sale by Eric from USA Geocoins, so it's safe to say it's authentic unless he somehow counted wrong, which seems rather unlikely.

Still stuck at a mere $61(!) for now.... Should be fun to watch the final sniping frenzy though. :huh:

Oh, and to get more on-topic... I missed the new MIGO summer coin (I guess their ordering system was totally overloaded for most of the night and a lot of people probably missed out) so if anyone managed to pick up a spare to trade please let me know if we can make a deal.

In related news, I have the original batteries that Dave Ulmer used to mark his GPS when he placed the very first geocache. They're a little used, but with this crowd on eBay, I should be able to afford that trip to Nassau.

Bidding starts at $1000, any takers?

ETA: Sorry, that's a grand EACH. Nassau ain't cheap. Good luck bidding folks!

Edited by YemonYime
In related news, I have the original batteries that Dave Ulmer used to mark his GPS when he placed the very first geocache.  They're a little used, but with this crowd on eBay, I should be able to afford that trip to Nassau.

Bidding starts at $1000, any takers?

ETA: Sorry, that's a grand EACH.  Nassau ain't cheap.  Good luck bidding folks!

medium-smiley-002.gifmedium-smiley-002.gifmedium-smiley-002.gifmedium-smiley-002.gifmedium-smiley-002.gifmedium-smiley-002.gif